Discussing all things Ravenloft
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

A question about the border mists

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hello,

There is one thing I never quite understood about the mists:
When I cross the border from on core domain to other, do I actually land in the neighbour domain, or is it possible to land *virtually* everywhere...

Actually, my group never crossed a border until now, so I didn't have to care about the mistways, but, well, I am a RLer for so long that it's a real shame that I don't know...

:soth:

Rafael
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

If you are on the core, most likely you will get to the neighbour domain.

Most of the time, there are now misty borders between domains on the core, by the way.

Joël
Le Noir Faineant

:D Thank you... But did you mean *no* or *now*?
Joël of the FoS

No, of course :) Sorry for the tiepoe.
Le Noir Faineant

:D Thank you! *I had something liek this in mind, but the 3e book isn't to clear about it, so... I just wanted to have a clear picture of the situation in my mind when I play.* IMC, the mists are virtually everywhere, and the realms are isolated from each other, but I had the memory that this wasn't exactly canon...

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

The Mists are capable of appearing anywhere at anytime. So you are free to send people wherever you wish, but generally speaking, the borders act just like regular political borders when not "closed" by the darklord.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Which brings me to another topic: how do you handle domain borders with players unfamiliar with a new area? Since they have no precise map, I tell them about the Verbrek forests, of the Richemulot country, etc., but it's hard not mentioning precise borders to players since many times it means nothing for the local people.

Joël
Le Noir Faineant

I never give my players maps or any local help. They're (normally) low level adventurers of common people origins, which in Ravenloft means that they have left a seclusive and isolated life.

I let them experience the distances for themselves, in their heads.

Besides, they're usally far too frightened/confused to ask such questions.

Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Desdichado wrote:I never give my players maps or any local help. They're (normally) low level adventurers of common people origins, which in Ravenloft means that they have left a seclusive and isolated life.

I let them experience the distances for themselves, in their heads.

Besides, they're usally far too frightened/confused to ask such questions.

Desdichado's PCs wrote:Are we there yet?
Desdichado wrote:No
Desdichado's PCs wrote:Are we there yet?
Desdichado wrote:No, and don't make me come back there!
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Le Noir Faineant

:shock:

Matthias?! David!? Thomas?!

*OMG one of my players has silently been browsing these boards and will now tell everyone what a dorky DM I am*

:? :? :?

* I should tell that my group consists of an obviously mentally deranged Druid (Fav Quote: *What!? I can't learn the fireball spell?!- Then how do I burn all the trees?) a swashbucker (*Can we do naval battles in Forlorn?*) and a 105 years old semi vistani gipsy (*If I put on a crown, then do I look like Azalin?*)...*

It took one entire session to lead them through the woods from their village to a mine (without encounters, I shoul add...)

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I always let my PC's see a map of the area eventually. Helps them get a feel for where they are and where they fit in. Also, they've been mostly in the more "civilised" areas, where mapmakers wouldn't be that uncommon.

It's gotten to the point were the first thing they do in a new town is ask for a mapmaker or scribe!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Note that *some* of the domain borders probably ARE considered clear and well-established geographic features, even within the Core. In cases where the domain's lord openly advertises his magical skills (Azalin or Hazlik primarily; Strahd's choking fog looks so much like conventional Mists that it might be mistaken for a [super]natural phenomenon of the region), it'd be common knowledge that such wizard-kings can conjure up appropriately-themed magical barriers to defend their territories, the precise locations of which would be well documented from history. What the populace-at-large would be ignorant of, is that these weird effects are brought about through their powers as darklords: when zombies rose to reduce Drakov's armies to crunchy brain-snacks, the popular belief would've been that Azalin's *spells* caused them to do so.
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Rotipher wrote:What the populace-at-large would be ignorant of, is that these weird effects are brought about through their powers as darklords: when zombies rose to reduce Drakov's armies to crunchy brain-snacks, the popular belief would've been that Azalin's *spells* caused them to do so.
I thought that the Darkonese believe that the dead rose up of their own accord to defend Darkon from invaders, as opposed to Azalin calling them forth to munch on Talon brains.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

That was the rationale in Domains of Dread.

Hazlan would probably show burned foliage, charred skeletons, and the like at its borders, depending on how ofter the borders were closed. I suspect most settlements would refrain from building near the borders, anyway.

Or have really, really good fire brigades.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

I believe Gaz II implied that the Darkonese knew, or at least believed, that Azalin has something to do with the dead rising, if only through his presence - after all, when the dead rose to repel the Falkovnian invasion during the Shrouded Years the Darkonese began to whisper that their King was still alive.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe