A PC did an act of Ultimate Darkness to torture Strahd

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Willowhugger
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

A PC did an act of Ultimate Darkness to torture Strahd

Post by Willowhugger »

One of my PCs is a truly twisted individual.

The character is an Alchemist (though we just used a wizard class before the Weathermay's VRA book) who basically did the House of Strahd Adventure where Tatyana was killed in the previous generation by Strahd accidentally hitting her with his life drain.

The Alchemist character we skipped ahead til his mid-forties (we run via the timeline which is LONGGGG)

and he's determined to not only save Tanya but also hurt Strahd incredibly badly......and I mean psychological PAIN.

So having discovered the Apparatus in our latest Session has packed up the Thing for Barovia and after defeating "Sheriff Von Zharovich" (who is actually a servant of LYSSA von Zharovich in this game-Lyssa is such a stereotypical villainess....)

The PC split poor Tanya and the other girl struggled in her bonds. He then left the evil side for Strahd's minions while keeping the other drugged (he intends to awaken her in Lamordia of all places)

The Player explained "I want Strahd to think he's suceeded. I want him to at last laugh at the Dark Powers. I want him to make her a vampire and his bride and enjoy fully his fruits of wickedness. Then I want him to slowly realize what an absolutely EVIL woman she is. Then only after months of bliss realize what I've done. Only by giving him what he wants can I tear down all that he's built for him as an illusion and that what he really wants to fill is the endless abyss of his soul"

I think given the precautions he took (including a charm against Strahd's crystal ball) I'm inclined to let it work.

If nothing else from this thread, I'd like to question whether there's a rock the man can hide under now when Strahd realizes what he's done.
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by William Blackmoor »

As I consider Strahd the most treasured toy of the Dark Powers, I think they like him just the way he is. I would let the PC's "charm against the crystal ball" fail (maybe damaged by some "minor" accident") and the character wouldn't survive for two hours, cut down by Ebon Gargoyle agents.
But then again... maybe Stradh is generous, traps the PC in time to stop him split Tanya (losing her again in the fight) and puts the alchemist into the Apparatus. Strahd creates a clone of the PC, strips the alchemist of his belongings and sends him off, his hateful clone (including the original PC equipment) on his trail... :twisted:

I've got a similar problem in my group. One of my PC's (Knight of the Shadows and part of the von Zharovich family tree) is bent on destroying his relative Stradh. He failed once sofar. I maybe will eventually let him succssed, assuming he reaches 19 lvl. and more importently has become corrupted enough to take Stradh's place as Darklord (Stradh XI, he already failed one power check leading to a shadow fiend transformation.). But maybe even then I will take his price from him granting him his own pocket domain in sight of Castle Ravenloft :twisted:
By the way, this PC already was cloned by the Apparatus, creating my campaign's Sheriff von Zharovich in the process.
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

Is it just me or was this particular pc metagaming like hell?? I haven't played this particular module ever but i think noone would be given so many informations on Strahd in order to hatch such a plan...

In any case, I would reward this particular PC not only with a nice failed powers check, but also with the following "innocent twist":

Ok, Tanya's evil side goes with Strahd. Strahd makes her his bride, but doesn't realize her "evilness". Meanwhile, Tanya plots to kill him via some ritual to gain his power. In an unexplained struggle, tanya falls into the water from the tower, thus history repeats itself, though twisted, while Strahd remains completely oblivious to everything and blames the PC....

How is that?
Beauty is in the [i]eye[/i] of the Beholder. Everything else is in its stomach....

I always respected [b]Fixxxer[/b], so I proudly present you [url=http://www.dndarchive.com]his own DnD site[/url]!!
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

I like that Sabby!

Perhaps there needs to be more to the mix - after all metagaming deserves punishment!
Perhaps Strahd becomes aware of the good Tatyana - and is perhaps bolstered to get her. Heck, if the player can metagame, why not Strahd?
Agents of Strahd should be sent out after tatyana's good side, with special orders to obtain this PC. Perhaps Strahd is planning on having this PC split in the apperatus, creating an evil PC, who is slain, and a good PC, who the player must now play - whom is then crippled.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

Well, I'm not going to assume the player is Metagaming .. it is quite possible he has learned this information throughout the course of his adventures ... we don't know enough of the story.

I do agree, however, that the pc will absolutely fail a powers check for this course of action ... tortune so severe is unacceptable, even to punish the wicked. (at least in Ravenloft, me, I applaud the pcs visciousness)

I would also allow the pcs plan to work .. assuming he takes all the neccessary precautions ... the DPs, after all, love to see Strahd suffer. Once he discovers the truth, however, I don't think anything will be able to save the character from Strahd's wrath. Of course, he won't kill the player ... Strahd is much more vindictive than that ... he will destroy him in every conceivable fashion ... perhaps capture and use the aparatus on him as others have suggested - then, using his crystal ball, allow the pc to watch as his Evil Self betrays and murders his friends and family. Then the lord might just recapture the evil pc, drain them both to 1st level and reconstitute them ... so the now entact pc will not only have the memory of seeing his life destroyed, but all the memories of doing (and enjoying) it. Then, should he feel so inclined, Strahd might make the pc a vampire under his thrall, so he can never directly act against the dark lord again.

But, of course, as GM you have to be fair and not simply dictate that the pc will be caught and tortured. It is never appropriate to punish a PC for creativity after all .... so their may be some extended adventure material wherein Strahd's minions go all out in search of the character ... find those close to him and use them as bait ... the pc is forced to hide in Darkon only to come to Azalin's attention .. and so forth.

As an aside, there is the assumption here that Strahd will vamp. Tatyana when he finds her ... would he? He has to know, after all these centuries, that turning a person into a vampire will blacken their soul ... surely that is the last thing he wants. But then, if she were pure, she'd want nothing to do with him .. he'd have no choice but to let her go or keep her locked up ... either of which would also be torture. In fact, it might be just as evil for the pc to let Strahd get ahold of the good half, since in her absolute purity she'd be mortally repulsed by the man and refuse his every attempt to reach her. (eventually going insane from his attentions)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Like Jack, I think it's a great idea, even for an AOUD. The DP's are sure to punish it and twist it, but it open up some great adventure hooks.

Who's to say the PC correctly chose the evil Tatyana? What if the good one failed a madness check from the process and the evil one was a good actress causing him to mistakenly send the good one to Strahd and he's now in the company of the evil one? After all, detect evil/good don't work in RL, and I doubt the Appartus is labelled "good side" and "evil side".
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Willowhugger
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Willowhugger »

There's no Ebon Gargoyle left and it wasn't Strahds anyway but Lyssas. Good riddance to bad rubbish I say. Strahd still has vampires, undead, and that's all he needs.

Also, as stated in the game....he has had a copy of I, Strahd for the better part of twenty years. He learned the entire sorrid history of Tatyana from his own falling in love with her and watching Strahd murder her before his eyes.

He's attempting to break the cycle once and for all.

Frankly, I don't think that its possible to not have a "give Strahd his cake and eat it" moment more and let him choke on it. This seems like one of the few times Strahd may be fundamentally changed.

I'm not afraid to kill off the PC and will probably do so in a future sessions by the Player's consent. He's been portraying the character's dissent into evil for some time.

Joining the Fraternity of Shadows and all that
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by William Blackmoor »

Willowhugger wrote:There's no Ebon Gargoyle left and it wasn't Strahds anyway but Lyssas. Good riddance to bad rubbish I say. Strahd still has vampires, undead, and that's all he needs.
Why is there no Ebon Gargoyle left? Did I miss something since Champions of Darkness? I thought that the Order of the Ebon Gargoyle is something akin to the secret police of Barovia under the command of Sheriff von Z. (and by this way Strahd).
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

gonzoron wrote: Who's to say the PC correctly chose the evil Tatyana? What if the good one failed a madness check from the process and the evil one was a good actress causing him to mistakenly send the good one to Strahd and he's now in the company of the evil one? After all, detect evil/good don't work in RL, and I doubt the Appartus is labelled "good side" and "evil side".
First of all, Strahd isn't some unassailable god, so I love that you went with this storyline.

But I like the option above the best. It seems to me that the Dark Powers rarely "reward" an Act of Ultimate Darkness with success. If this is indeed an AUD in your book, then it should go wry somehow. That's the entire theme of Ravenloft.

But even if the PC's plan should work...why would this "change" Strahd? If he figures out that he only has the "evil" half of Tatyana, then I think this would only make him even more obsessed. Now he's had a taste of the real thing.

Again, kudos for allowing your PC to take this route.
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant
Willowhugger
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Willowhugger »

A fairly good idea.

Maybe have "evil Tatyana" fall in love with the PC.

basically, I don't mean change for the good. I was honestly possibly thinking Strahd would be forced to make a madness check. If he fails, unlikely, Strahd might fall into delusions like Lord Soth.

In fact I may play "When Black Roses Bloom" with evil (good?) Tatyana enspelling Lord Strahd with images where his life is altered.

So misguidedly good that she's trying to convince Strahd to recant.
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

I think we're going a little bit too far here. Last time I checked, Strahd wasn't the type of guy who would be susceptible (sp?) to a Soth-like curse. Great idea Jack, even greater Ivana. Imagine:

The evil tatyana falls in love with Strahd (well, maybe just his power, evil is a sucker for power) and tries everything in her powers to seduce him into turning her to a vamp. Strahd temporarily falls for her, but soon after turning her is so greatly repulsed by her evilness that he slays her with his own hands!!! So, Strahd is once again on the trail of the good one (we assume the PC couldn't block the crystal ball). He finds her, the history is repeated undisturbed etc etc, then Strahd, more frustrated than ever, realizes he blew his only chance by slaying the evil one....Guess who's gonna pay for all the mess... :wink: :wink:

Just my 2 cps...
Beauty is in the [i]eye[/i] of the Beholder. Everything else is in its stomach....

I always respected [b]Fixxxer[/b], so I proudly present you [url=http://www.dndarchive.com]his own DnD site[/url]!!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I kinda like the idea. It is evil and corrupting but a damn nice way to torture Strahd.

I think after so many years and generations of looking for Tatyana Strahd might be a tad reckless when he finally gets her. Having never turned her into a vampire before he might not know the effects it has on her. He would of course make her his vampire bride and not just a normal spawn or thrall like has done earlier. So when she turns out to be pure evil it comes as quite a shock to him. At first he enjoys it but then she disgusts him and possibly betrays him.
It raises the question, what kind of darkness does Tatyana have in her soul? She was always so one-dimensional and innocent it is hard to accurately think of how she would be as evil. And we always only saw her through the eyes of Strahd. I think she’d be vain and selfish, maybe more than a little manipulative using her looks and body. Without the restraint of morality and goodness she may flaunt her body more and use her attractiveness in a more blatant and deliberate manner. Probably not just towards Strahd (who might fall for it, it is hitting him right where he lives) but also for others in the land. Strahd would definitely see this as a betrayal and kill her.

Flash forward a bit of time he would eventually discover what went wrong, that it wasn’t just the failure and he realizes that if he makes a vampire bride of the pure good Tatyana he is ensured even as an undead she will be pure and innocent.
The players now have an enraged and relentless Strahd directly hunting them down, but he will do so after a length of time has passed so they have time to lower their guard and relax thinking they won.

How would Strahd seek his revenge? I imagine he’d think poetic justice is the best and try to do the same for the players, replace their loved one (doppelgangers? Polymorphed servants? Vampirize them?) and let them see what it is like.
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

One thing stated in I, Strahd but easly overlooked is that Tatyana's evil side WAS in love with Strahd. Her purity and youth wanted to be with her betrothed Sergi but at the end right before her death her dark side lusted after Strahd, be it his looks, his power or his experiance. It was the conflict between her love for Sergi and her lust for Strahd that made her run away and fall to her death.

So while the Pc thinks he is creating a tool to hurt Strahd he is in fact creating a creature whole facinated by everything Strahd. A creature that would willingly become a vampire if it ment she could have strahd as well as the power and status he radiates. And it was her youth and facination in him that won Strahds heart over all these years. Turning her will preserve both over the ages. A sort of "have your cake and eat it too' deal.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

I'm trying to imagine the most logical cnain of consequences to this.

Step 1: PC creates an evil replica of Tatyana and dumps her somewhere near Castle Ravenloft for Strahd to find

Step 2: The evil Tatyana and Strahd are madly in love with each other and Strahd undertakes to make her his eternal Bride, with all the temporary vulnerability this entails.

Step 3: The Keepers of the Black Feather seize this now-or-never occasion to assault Castle Ravenloft and apparently succeed in offing the Count. Lyssa seizes this moment to become the official ruler.

Step 4: Tatyana von Zarovich, now a Vorlog, turns all her efforts to restoring her lost love to life and power.
Last edited by Igor the Henchman on Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Jasper o' nine liv wrote:One thing stated in I, Strahd but easly overlooked is that Tatyana's evil side WAS in love with Strahd. Her purity and youth wanted to be with her betrothed Sergi but at the end right before her death her dark side lusted after Strahd, be it his looks, his power or his experiance. It was the conflict between her love for Sergi and her lust for Strahd that made her run away and fall to her death.

So while the Pc thinks he is creating a tool to hurt Strahd he is in fact creating a creature whole facinated by everything Strahd. A creature that would willingly become a vampire if it ment she could have strahd as well as the power and status he radiates. And it was her youth and facination in him that won Strahds heart over all these years. Turning her will preserve both over the ages. A sort of "have your cake and eat it too' deal.
Something tells me that letting Strahd finally have his cake will give him diabetes.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula