Gendo Ikari ... Darklord of Evangelion?

Books, movies, television and everything else
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Gendo Ikari ... Darklord of Evangelion?

Post by Shoon VII »

who would the DL of Evangelion be? i was watching the last 2 episodes last night after not having watched the series since the end of 1998. i came to the conclusion that Gendo was an a +*%@!!^.

but would he be the DL or would Shinji be the DL?
what would their 3.5 d20 stats look like?
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

I always saw Evangelion as being closer to Hunter: The Reckoning than RL. Too many characters seem to fit too many of the Hunter creeds far too well. Misato is a Judge; she has the zeal to destroy the Angels, but in a way more akin to cool-headed leadership than either total destruction or a desire to defend the planet. Asuka and Touji are Avengers to the core. Shinji is an Innocent; he doesn't even want to be there, and he'd rather save people than kill him. Gendo's the easiest of all; with his narrow vision of humanity's future and his natural leadership, he's a Visionary to the core. He even has Visionary derangements: Tunnel Vison and Puppet Master Syndrome. (The parallels actually got to the point where my Hunter GM started using Evangelion characters as examples for first-time players who didn't quite understand the creeds. "You're thinking about playing a Martyr? OK, if you're a Martyr, you're Rei. The Hunt means suffering, and you'll put yourself in harm's way as much as possible in order to accomplish it even if it means your own death.")
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

never played Hunter: The Reckoning before. is it related to the vampire and werewolf games?
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

Yeah. The main theme of Hunter is "Humans Strike Back." It's fun. :wink:

EVA SPOILERS

In answer to the original question, though, I think the darklord would definitely be Gendo simply because of all the horrible things he did just to create the Evas (killing people and trapping their souls in horrible biomechanical monsters, anyone?), and the continuing horrible things he does to attain his goals (Touji, anyone?). His curse would be that all he wants is to get Yui back, but it's impossible even if he does pull off Instrumentality because her soul is inside Unit 1, which was the only thing that wasn't pulled into Instrumentality in the final movie. That's my thought, anyway. :wink:
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

i agree. he'd probably be one of those legendary 20th level "commoners" (an expert rather).

SEELE would make a great secret society.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I always saw Shinji as the DL stylised character in EVA. He wanted isolation and when he had isolation he wanted companionship. He wanted to be accepted and at the same time he longed to be rejected. He was heavily cursed.

Of course, End of Evangelion I saw as something the DP's would put forward to offer him some form of salvation before he gave in completely to his own darkness, whether he succeeded or not is another matter.
Swallow your soul!
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

I saw SEELE as the 'Darklord' group or perhaps symbolism for the Dark Powers themselves. They gave Gendo the power (who really only wanted to get his wife back), helped create the Evas, sent men to their deaths to reclaim it in the movies, orchestrated Third Impact and placed the entire world in danger when they personally sent Kaoru to NERV.

Expect to see a form of SEELE in my next submission for Quoth the Raven.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

Incidentally, for those of you who haven't seen "Children of an Elder God," it's a must-read:

http://www.thekeep.org/~rpm/eva/coaeg.html

I hate fanfic, and even I'll admit that this one is awesome. It's a "what if" story based on a simple premise: what if the underlying mythology of Evangelion, instead of all the Judeo-Christian Kabbala stuff that it actually was in the series, were the Cthulhu mythos?
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

Dominique wrote:Incidentally, for those of you who haven't seen "Children of an Elder God," it's a must-read:

http://www.thekeep.org/~rpm/eva/coaeg.html
i'll have to check it out
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

Coan wrote:I saw SEELE as the 'Darklord' group or perhaps symbolism for the Dark Powers themselves. They gave Gendo the power (who really only wanted to get his wife back), helped create the Evas, sent men to their deaths to reclaim it in the movies, orchestrated Third Impact and placed the entire world in danger when they personally sent Kaoru to NERV.

Expect to see a form of SEELE in my next submission for Quoth the Raven.
cant wait for your version of SEELE
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:I always saw Shinji as the DL stylised character in EVA. He wanted isolation and when he had isolation he wanted companionship. He wanted to be accepted and at the same time he longed to be rejected. He was heavily cursed.

Of course, End of Evangelion I saw as something the DP's would put forward to offer him some form of salvation before he gave in completely to his own darkness, whether he succeeded or not is another matter.
that's an interesting take on it. i was so wrapped up in hating Gendo that i never considered this.
Willowhugger
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Willowhugger »

Oddly, I'd say the Darklord of the Evangelion Universe is Yui Ikari. Her curse is to be trapped in a gigantic Stone Golem as the city she failed to "transcend to heaven" (she's got Righteous Zealot written all over her) so many years ago with her heaven based ritual, decays all around her.

Her son is forced to pilot it as her husband desperately works to restore her but only does so by adultery, including making other challengers to her rule as "DarkLord" by his ex-lover in the Wizard Akagi

I'd make Gendo also having driven Asuka's mother insane after seducing her too.

It's a fairly little twisted family there.
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

I've never seen the last five episodes of the show.

So, I'm looking for some spoilers on what happened toward the end. What can those in the know tell me about what occured?
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Well that depends. Do you want the episode ending or the movie ending?

Either way it is kind of hard to explain. Luckily I don't have to, behold:

http://www.lwhy.clara.net/nge/

Question answered.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

No, I've seen the film ending.

This link has the details though. Thanks :wink:.
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation