Personal Canon

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Personal Canon

Post by Deewun »

Maybe its the Egotist in me, but I love seeing Farelle down there next to Valachan. Makes my heart bright.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Deewun wrote:Maybe its the Egotist in me, but I love seeing Farelle down there next to Valachan. Makes my heart bright.

You wrote the article, did you not? :azalin:
I loved that one.

Edit-

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg12 ... ore001.jpg

Farelle is further south. Fixed that.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

ewancummins wrote:
Deewun wrote:Maybe its the Egotist in me, but I love seeing Farelle down there next to Valachan. Makes my heart bright.

I loved that one.
I'm sorry, which article is that? I am familiar with Naylor's article in the Book of Sacrifices, though don't really know of another mention of Farelle.

The old Mordent Cartographic Society site had Farelle replace GHenna in the northern Shadow Rift, and Sanguinia int he southern half. I always liked Sanguinia, but it never felt like Farelle fit. I think over by Valachan is a fine spot for it. Still a little wild, like its lord. Plus Karn and von Karkhov can fight like....cats and dogs.
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Strahdsbuddy wrote:
ewancummins wrote:

I loved that one.
I'm sorry, which article is that? I am familiar with Naylor's article in the Book of Sacrifices, though don't really know of another mention of Farelle.

The old Mordent Cartographic Society site had Farelle replace GHenna in the northern Shadow Rift, and Sanguinia int he southern half. I always liked Sanguinia, but it never felt like Farelle fit. I think over by Valachan is a fine spot for it. Still a little wild, like its lord. Plus Karn and von Karkhov can fight like....cats and dogs.

It's an article in QTR #16, I think.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Hogan Van Monsterband
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hogan Van Monsterband »

Leo Dilisnya (I think? Can't remember his name) didn't have Ezra appear to him. Instead, he was a minor conman at the time she was alive, who travelled with her, became her first disciple and, after her ascenscion, writes the first Book of Ezra about their time together. This is also the only contemporary record of her existence.
Diesirae
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Diesirae »

I typically do the following:

Soth never left, the kender population is higher. Actually i usually run with higher populations in general.
Paridon is slightly larger and is an island off the west coast. This has given the players a much more English feel (especially with an added rivalry with Franc--i mean Dementlieu)
Well what is this that I can't see With ice cold hands takin' hold of me,
Well I am death, none can excel, I'll open the door to heaven or hell
Hogan Van Monsterband
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hogan Van Monsterband »

There's no such place as Timor. The Marilith exist, but they're a degenerate doppelganger clan rather than their own thing. Sodo banished them generations ago, and now forbids his own followers from travelling underground to prevent them from reuniting with their lost cousins.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

This is a holdover from the days of Final Fantasy and Shining Force for my canon, but I guess it could be mentioned. All undead not specifically stated as being resistant or immune to fire have Vulnerability to Fire; all undead take only half damage from cold. Undead whose nature includes an affinity for heat or fire reverse this trend (so a rushlight is Vulnerable to Cold, for example). Flaming (burst) weapons were thus very popular in my campaigns.

The weakness to fire is partially symbolic. Flame consumes rot and banishes disease; the undead are, by their very definition, rotten and diseased no matter how well preserved they appear.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Diesirae
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Diesirae »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:This is a holdover from the days of Final Fantasy and Shining Force for my canon, but I guess it could be mentioned. All undead not specifically stated as being resistant or immune to fire have Vulnerability to Fire; all undead take only half damage from cold. Undead whose nature includes an affinity for heat or fire reverse this trend (so a rushlight is Vulnerable to Cold, for example). Flaming (burst) weapons were thus very popular in my campaigns.

The weakness to fire is partially symbolic. Flame consumes rot and banishes disease; the undead are, by their very definition, rotten and diseased no matter how well preserved they appear.
Thats a good idea
I tend to use this as flavor text despite actual effects myself. as one of my players always says 'I believe in the cleansing power of fire"..usually he says this while torching a village that over charged him an inn stay but it still applies.
Well what is this that I can't see With ice cold hands takin' hold of me,
Well I am death, none can excel, I'll open the door to heaven or hell
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Diesirae wrote:..usually he says this while torching a village that over charged him an inn stay but it still applies.
:? :lol: :roll:
Germaine
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Germaine »

I really have way too much "personal canon" to count, but -aside from geographical stuff already mentioned in another thread- here are some examples.

1. Specifically defined- though not to my players, of course- the nature of Ravenloft , the DPs, and the ToUD, and tied Gwydion and the GC to them.

2. Redefined the nature and backstory of the GC and made Isolde, etc. only THINK he is an incubus.

3. Used a lot of the non-canon stuff from TEW for Nova Vaasa and redefined its politics somewhat.
. Have used darklords a good deal more than I think most people do, but not usually in direct combat, and often not as obvious villains.

5. Adam and Mordenheim are co-darklords.

6. Have killed off several darklords and ex-darklords, although some stubbornly refuse to stay dead.
7. Explained the Nightmare Court and gave them a somewhat elaborate backstory.
8. Van Richten is still locked up on Dominia for the moment being.
9. Azalin has never returned, and when/if he does, he won't be the absurdly god-like being that he was in Gazetteer 2.
10. Non-canon ending to The Evil Eye, with Malocchio in charge, but Matton dead, Gabrielle the new Midnight Slasher, and the Hunadora rebels headed by Gundar, his son Balthazar Dolevina (from the USS), and the disguised pit fiend mentioned elsewhere.
11. Set the events of the novel Mordenheim in the modern day, with Horg already being a clone. That way, no time travel, no contradictory history, and no immortal Falkovnians.
12. Introduced quite a few elements of IRL voodoo and hoodoo- as well as the Djab from Skull & Crossbones- into Souragnean Voodan.
13. Came up with an explanation for the enigma of Ezra and Hala.
Oh, and no demon for Easan in my case, either.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Six decades ago, there was a libertarian populist uprising in the western coastal domains. Falkovnia and Darkon got involved in a proxy war, crushing the fledgling democratic movement. Darkon involvement was subtle. Falkovnian involvement was overt. This resulted in the common belief that Drakov and Falkovnia are incompetent warmongers.

Thread: Eleuthiarchy - http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=1&t=8725
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

All DLs are un-aging even the ones that are technically human. It is something the DPs do to make sure their "toys" have enough energy to be interesting. Because of this people don't consider any ruler who ages as the true ruler if they know about things outside the domain as it is proof of "divine right". Unknown to the masses some of the rulers who aren't DLs don't age either.

The Dread Realm is never called "Ravenloft" in the game but "Mistlands". Ravenloft is a castle in Bavoria. Also it is a full fledged plane not a demi-plane. The core realms mentioned in the books are merely of one core realm out of a nearly infinite number of cores in the plane.

The plane is ruled over by LE gods of justice. They care only about crime being punished not about innocent bystanders. They directly punish the guilty but if innocents are hurt by the process it is no concern of theirs.

The Dukkar was given his own domain which consists almost entirely of Vistani. Once in a while he will hear of rumors of non-Vistani coming into the realm but he is doomed never to meet them.
Adam and Mordenheim are co-darklords being different parts of the same being. Part of any creator of a dread golem in Ravenloft has a piece of his soul in the golem.

No demon inside Eason and Sodo is the Queen Ann version as I like both ideas better than the standard version.
Boris Drakov
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Boris Drakov »

I have my own mini-core of two massive neighbouring nations called Highthorn and Order of the Dragon respectively across the Sea of Sorrows to enable shipping.

My versions of feudal Britain and France really. Had an idea for a Holy Roman Empire realm adjacent to them but haven't really gotten to it.

And all demihumans are pretty much supremacists in my version of Ravenloft, especially where they are in majority. Because, well, why wouldn't they if humans are? Especially elves.
"I kneel for no-one!"
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

IMC not all darklords are ageless. At first I thought that death from age would be fitting, but as I've seen my grandmother succumb to the indignities of age I've decided to make them immortal. No matter how decrepit their bodies become, they will never die of old age. For men such as Ivan Dilisnya and Drakov, being trapped in a body that can barely function anymore but will never die is a fate far worse than death. In the end they're as much prisoners of their bodies as their domains. For Drakov, death without the ability to fight back is suitably excruciating as his ego pops like a balloon. For Ivan it would likely be Ratik Ubel "repaying the kindness" showed to him as he is terrified of the dread revenant. The sheer horror he would feel is sweetly poetic to what his subjects endure.