15th Anniversary of the Book of Souls Netbook!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: 15th Anniversary of the Book of Souls Netbook!

Post by Mangrum »

Le Noir Faineant wrote:That said... How did you manage to write for a world that was so obviously artificial, and sometimes so blatantly dull?
I like the artificiality, and anything I found dull I tried to find a way to present that I found interesting (or I just didn't use it).
Le Noir Faineant wrote:Didn't you guys have the desire to fix some of the most blatant silliness? Like, place names, to begin with... :)
I know there's a vocal component of Ravenloft fans who've always wanted Ravenloft to be this other thing, an ideologically pure setting of Gothic tropes -- but despite the claims in the introductions of a few editions, it's never been that. Seriously, what you want is Masque of the Red Death, and I'm glad it exists for that reason, even if I eventually lost my ability to wrap my head around the logic of that world. Ravenloft's always been a wild mishmash of genres, right from the beginning, and that's part of what drew me to it. And seriously, the Gothic genre in its purest form contains no small portion of camp. As someone somewhere on some board once noted (honestly, I don't remember who, where, or when), you guys are lucky you never got a domain themed around Giant Helmets Falling From the Sky.

Basically, I view the "silliness" as a feature, not a bug. I like D&D alignments, too.
Andrew Cermak
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Andrew Cermak »

Le Noir Faineant wrote:Now, no flattering intended, oh Sinister Six, but I have always wondered one thing:

You all seem like pretty educated, and intelligent guys, and IMO, your efforts, from the old website, to the S&S books, is what made the setting playable. (As opposed to most 2e stuff, that either was too sketchy, or simply bad.)

That said... How did you manage to write for a world that was so obviously artificial, and sometimes so blatantly dull? - Didn't you guys have the desire to fix some of the most blatant silliness? Like, place names, to begin with... :)
Well, all of us liked the bulk of the 2e stuff, a lot. If we didn't, we wouldn't have put the time in. Most of the stuff we didn't like came from adventures or novels that were easy to ignore.

I think the artifice of Ravenloft actually makes it easier to write for. You've got ready made excuses to plug in almost anything you want almost anywhere, or dispense with or change almost anything you don't like. You don't have to make the history of a new domain mesh with the history of its neighbors unless you want it to, and if you do, any mistakes you make in that meshing are easily glossed over by the fact that it's all just a facade anyway. If anything, the hard part is avoiding laziness; there are so many shortcuts available that it takes some discipline not to use them.

From what I saw, it's in the editing and developing, not the writing, that the artifice becomes a problem. You really need a strong vision of what the world is and where it should go to keep it on track.

(I will allow that, If I was the original designer of Ravenloft, working from scratch, I wouldn't have gone the same route with the place names. But none of us gave a thought to changing them when we were working on the line, and I don't think we would have been allowed to anyway. Those place names had history by then.)
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

A few thoughts on the 8/13 points.
Mangrum wrote: 1. Format: I rely heavily on published adventures as a GM, and I was always a bit sad that our reign coincided with the shunning of modules as a concept. I could not be happier that Paizo's kept the adventure path concept going strong, and so, as a GM, that's the route I would follow. After the basic setting sourcebooks, the focus would be on delivering information through adventure paths (linked adventures, aka prepackaged campaigns), with additional sourcebooks acting to supplement the adventures.
I’m also a fan of that way to do things. Paizo has an excellent way to do things, while putting mostly excellent source books out. I have a subscription on PF since the start and I use it a lot – adventures in part or in total, traps, NPCs, maps, sources and other ideas.
2. Timeline Agnostic: This is something the Kargatane were playing with when we were pondering making our own setting books just for our own use, following the Great Falling Out. I would lay out a history for the setting, but not necessarily declare that any particular point in the timeline is "now." Any of it could be "now," or at the very least, narrow "now" down to a single generation--say, 735 to 755 BC. Different adventure paths might bounce around in time. This isn't something I'd do with many settings, but Ravenloft is inherently static, in a fashion, because it's built so heavily on its characters. As the timeline advances, the "Graying of Ravenloft" inevitably rears its ugly head.
Exactly why IMC I started it in 748, to have a lot of future events I could plan with.
Think of it as a way to feature both Van Richten and the Weathermay-Foxgrove twins.
Couldn’t choose between the two so IMC again, the twins get adventuring sooner, so I have VR (semi retreat) and the twins adventuring at the same time.
3. Ravenloft is Artificial: (…) No more worrying about how a domain of X size can support Y large predators

Ah? This kind of questions were never that important for me, Ravenloft was something special where realism wasn’t to be expected everywhere. It never was a problem with my players.

Other domains, meanwhile, like Keening or Bluetspur, might have "blasted" ecologies, where not only is wildlife scarce, but fertility in general is lessened. Spells like plant growth might not work well there.
I might add other domain-wide attributes as well, like all enchantment magic being more powerful in Dementlieu, for example. Crafting poison might just be physically easier in Borca. Alterations to the planar fabric to enhance the themes the Dark Powers are exploring in that particular domain.

I like this idea. Interesting also as story hooks.

This would even extend to its mortal denizens. Natives of a domain just don't seem to be able to quite grasp the existence of the "glass walls" marking their existence. For example, there have been times when, woken suddenly from a deep sleep, I couldn't tell time for a few minutes. I could look at a clock, and I could tell that the numbers read "six-one-two," but I could not for the life of me put those numbers together to form "6:12." The same might apply in Lamordia--ask a villager for the year. "735 BC, naturally." How old is Dr. Mordenheim? "Oh, about 34, I think?" And when did he move into Schloss Mordenheim. "673 BC! 'Bout the time he got married, I think." So Dr. Mordenheim is 34... "Yes..." and he's been living up in that castle, a married man the whole time, for 42 years? "Yes? What are you trying to say?"

I’m not sure on this robot-like behavior, this might confuse players if they see it everywhere. Is it the normal people deluded or is it the darklord’s influence?

I agree all RL is somewhat artificial, but that is going a bit too far IMHO.

4. Ravenloft is Real: Once the Dark Powers create a domain, they keep it. The Demiplane of Dread slowly grows over the centuries, as the Dark Powers weave an entire world for themselves. Like the mortals the Dark Powers seemingly create, domains are effectively permanent fixtures, though they can change. If a darklord is slain, their domain never dissolves back into the mists. Killing a darklord, in other words, never ever means the end of the world for the denizens of that domain. Instead, the land is freed from its curse, for the time being. In the absence of a darklord, however, the unclaimed land becomes a yawning absence of power, just waiting to respond to the next damned soul to enter it. When the land does accept a new lord, it slowly and subtly changes to suit the new themes its darklord exemplifies--and the common folk can't quite remember that the natural world used to work slightly differently back in the day.

Interesting, no more cataclysms and misty voids when a darklord is dead. It’s better. More stable core, excellent.
Would it work too for Islands in the mists?

5. Heroes and Darklords are Enlightened: The defining nature of PCs in Ravenloft is that, for whatever reason, something has awoken them to the unnaturalness of the world. They are the handful of enlightened souls who can see past the limitations of their circumstances. Potential darklords are drawn from this same pool--they, too, are free to act as they wish, not at they must. Most NPCs, while fully fledged individuals, are ultimately trapped in the roles they were born to play.

Be careful not to make that too « normal » people artificial or theatrical. If the players always feel they are always in something similar to Juste’s plays, they will end not caring anymore?

6. Lighten Up: I'd abandon the pretense of Ravenloft being a particularly magic-poor world. It's not, and in practice it never really was. I'm not talking about adding magic item shops here; just an acknowledgement that yes, there's a fair amount of spellcasters running around, and and adventures in Ravenloft will include as much loot as they would in any other world.

Interesting. IMC I put magic as rare and its users often hiding. The main sources of spells for the PCs is a grimoire in the Weathermay family.

But I never refrain in putting magic in the hands of PC’s enemies! If they are defeated, they get the stuff!

In addition, I'd pull way, way back on modifying class abilities, spells, and so forth. Admittedly, this goes against bullet point 3 to an extent, so we're looking for a balance. I'd reduce Ravenloft's alterations to magic to a few basics (can't detect alignments, undead are resistant to necromancy, etc.) plus the basic additions of individual domains. Alterations to spells worked fine in 2E, when the spell pool was fairly limited, but in 3E we had to try to tackle the issue with a broad framework that just produced endless grief for poor ol' Ask Azalin. It's impossible to keep up with every intricate detail of the ever-expanding 3E/Pathfinder ruleset, so stop trying to fight the tide.

This never really was a problem IMC, and my players like the specificity and limits of magic in RL.

But that would possibly be a good way to have new players trying it.

It's Gothic Adventure! Go out there and stake some vampires, fall in love, and have some fun!
And, y'know, this would be as challenging as any other suggestion in this list, but I'd like to build romance into the setting as well. Sure, it's easy to say love conquers all, but let's throw some rules behind that!

Very interesting, for a Gothic theme.

7. Classic Monsters, New Approach: In 3E, we tried to keep the Van Richten guides as canonical as possible. This time around, I wouldn't really be at all concerned with what was said before -- this would be a fresh approach. I would present werebeasts, vampires, ghosts, and probably revenants too right off the bat as prestige classes, and encourage monstrous PCs fighting their inner darkness as a play style.

I see where you got this and where you are going with it. But I wouldn’t see a mismatch crew of monstrous newly created PCs walking the streets of any RL town. I don’t feel it, but perhaps as an option, I would have a player trying it (as he took the Moonchild PrC).

But sure, if a PC dies, this is a very cool option to have rules to have him back.

I would drop reality wrinkles entirely, not because I necessarily dislike the idea itself, but because I don't feel that years of increasingly fine-grained explanations about how they work ever stemmed the tide of confused gamers.

;)

When you guys gathered here on Halloween, I nearly asked for a precison on reality wrinkles, as a joke ...

And as for the Vistani, while I accept them as a Gothic trope and don't feel any personal need to toss out the concept, so long as it's handled with a certain sense of cultural awareness and delicacy, real-world society's changed and there's a very vocal component of gamers out there who consider any form of "fantasy Roma" to be pure racism. I'm a little tired of fighting the fight on that one, so I'd probably follow WotC's lead of re-imagining the Vistani to make them more of a chosen culture rather than an ethnicity.

A chosen culture with magical powers? Could be a well defined class, like they tried to do in 2e?

8. Codify Darklords and Sinkholes:

Interesting ideas here, especially the lingering rage aura in a house where someone was killed for example. Fun. My players tinker with ethereal resonance once in a while, but that it could affect people too is fun.

I like the cleansing concept, it is fun. How it can give information on a darklord remains to be explained, but the concept has possibilities.

But the way to permanently dispel a darklord sinkholes require that you kill him. So it’s back to let’s kill darklords, instead of foiling their plans like we had in 3e. Mmm…

And why would anybody sane would clean the sinkhole of a powerful darklord (say Godefroi, Strahd’s or Azalin’s), if they were not 15th level? That often would be suicidal and the effect would anyway be temporary.

I think it is for the good of the setting to better explain / simplify the mechanic of becoming a darklord (or taking the place if the darklord of an area was defeated), for PCs and NPCs, but do we really need this as DMs? It doesn’t happen this often normally that there is a new darklord created. We use the darklords already in place much more often than create new ones.
I don’t know, I would perhaps eventually need to see an example to get convinced all the changes are worth it!

But the sinkholes “path” is really a fun idea.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Hey Stu, What do you think of the fanfictions posted and doncha wish you'd thought of that for SotK? :D
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Well, I personally prefer Mangrum's vision and it's easier to retcon Bluetspur to that. I always tried to place an adventure in Bluetspur since Mind flayers are my thing... but I never managed to come with an idea about an adventure in Bluetspur other than beat things and try to cling on living.
I don't actually understand how the God Brain hopes to bring people over to steal their dreams and all... when the people would probably be dead within 1 hour.

It's not that I don't see the appeal in Andrew's suggestion though... I actually had a domain like that in a homebrew cluster. In that domain psionics worked normally but arcane and divine magic tended to backfire. There was a cleric's domain there too, where psionics and arcane tended to backfire and of course... a wizard's domain that divine and psionics tended to backfire.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by herkles »

@ryan: I am curious what do you not like about Hazlan?

I am not really sure how I would redue Bluetspure, perhaps make it more of a mountains of Madness sort of feel though.

I actually love the adventure paths, but on the other hand it does not help my style. I am a sandbox sort of GM, I love to take the setting and then work off from there. Hence why I love the Gazeteers, though i wish there was more information in them :P
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Hazlan just doesn't inspire me in the way almost all of the other domains do. I look at Hazlan and feel "eh." I have absolutely no desire to run anything there. Whereas almost any other domain gives me something to get excited about.

I think the problem with Bluetspur, Necropolis, the Shadow Rift, etc is that we want somewhere for these adventure types to come from, but they don't make good domains as such. It's telling that they all have alien horror darklords.

But as I think I said before, a domain doesn't necessarily have to be about replayability - I'm happy to run no more than one adventure in Forlorn per campaign rather than setting a campaign there. The idea is that the PCs don't want to leave *immediately.* That's why I like the Black Box Bluetspur, because it's eerie rather than hell dimension.

Perhaps pockets would work better - Bluetspur flits around to wherever the God Brain is drawn, releasing horrors wherever it goes.
stu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by stu »

Le Noir Faineant wrote:How did you manage to write for a world that was so obviously artificial, and sometimes so blatantly dull? - Didn't you guys have the desire to fix some of the most blatant silliness? Like, place names, to begin with... :)
Well - I certainly don't agree with the premise behind the question. The world of Ravenloft may be "artificial" from our point of view (coming from a spherical world that evolved over millions of years) - but to the natives, it's just "the world", and it's not unusual at all. So from the point of view of the setting itself, it's no more artificial than any other non-Earth world.

Like Ryan, I actually enjoy the place names (I similarly benefit from not being speaking French/German) - having a cute meta-gaming clue to the nature of the world just adds to the thematic enjoyment for players, I think.

As for "blatantly dull" - I may not be an enormous fan of every domain, but when I read the original Black Box my imagination was just overflowing with ideas for adventures, so I guess I don't know what you mean....

Stu
Stu, previously of the Kargatane
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Ryan Naylor wrote: Gravesend (UK)
This is where Pocahontas is buried.

Guys, I've always been a big fan.

One thing I want to ask; if you where to end Ravenloft in a big end-of-setting blow out a la the Old World of Darkness, what, personally, would you have happen? Would you have plucked for a happy ending, or an everyone dies ending? Or something in between?
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Ryan Naylor wrote:So if there’s anyone out there from Paizo: take me back! I’m sorry!
Mangrum wrote:today Johnson's gone on to write a string of novels and F. Wesley Schneider is the Editor-in-Chief at Paizo.
If my lasting legacy is ultimately that of the obscure guy who never quite made it himself but helped shove a "couple 'a talented kids" into the limelight, I'm good with that.
I think you guys should try getting back into the RPG business asap. Paizo and the current PF 3PP market are probably more easy ways into get into RP publishing then ever before.

Yes, Paizo RPG Superstar is closed for you as you have been pros, but there's lot's of other openings. PF has a fan netbook and a fan fiction netbook where the paizonians are definetely looking. Open Design has a Kobold Quarterly but also takes on writers for project. Many 3PP work with freelancers. Check out Michael Tumey's Kaidan setting which he publishes through Rite Publishing for example. Frog God Publishing (the risen Necromancer Games) and Legendary Games (who publish supplements for Paizos Gothic AP) are two other 3PPs to check out.

All i want to say is : Go for it!

PS: And thanks for the great netbooks, forums and the d20 Ravenloft line guys! You rock!

PPS: How about doing a kickstarter for financing the Gazetteer line? If only there weren't the damn license. RPG kickstarteres are doing crazy well atm.

PPPS: Also: Submit stuff to QtR! Or publish the rest of the Gazetteers via the FoS? Pretty please?
Last edited by The Giamarga on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Cermak
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Andrew Cermak »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:
Ryan Naylor wrote:
One thing I want to ask; if you where to end Ravenloft in a big end-of-setting blow out a la the Old World of Darkness, what, personally, would you have happen? Would you have plucked for a happy ending, or an everyone dies ending? Or something in between?
I never gave much thought to this. I see Ravenloft as being more or less eternal. Each individual darklord will eventually die one way or another, but more will come after. I don't see the Dark Powers as having any real purpose for Ravenloft other than their own amusement; they aren't building to anything or waiting for anything. It's just a malicious sandbox, and the only reason they torment the darklords is because they've found that the passionately evil are a lot more amusing when provoked than the devoutly good.

So...if my Ravenloft was going to end, it would have to be because the Dark Powers were tired of it. I imagine, before throwing their toy away, they'd try to breathe new life into it by shaking things up. So perhaps the rules start changing in small ways. Azalin suddenly finds he can learn new magic, but starts forgetting what he used to know. Malken gets a separate body from Tristen, but discovers that he gets progressively weaker as he and Tristen get closer to each other...and Tristen is trying to hunt him down. Each darklord gets more or less what they wanted, and ends up worse off than before. Naturally, many of them start to go a little berserk.

Eventually, things start changing in larger ways. Borders between domains start collapsing a little at a time, forcing two (or more) lords to share one domain. Clusters get grafted to the Core, while former parts of the Core get torn away to form new Clusters. The Vistani all manage to depart by this time.

Eventually, the whole thing collapses in chaos. All borders gone, shifting alliances of lords at each others throats, a terrified, scattered populace of innocents suffering the worst of the carnage. Strahd and Azalin are, fittingly, the last lords left standing, but Azalin has been forgetting things faster than he can learn them, and Strahd is now the stronger. He finally kills his rival, shortly before the demiplane seemingly evaporates, leaving him alone in an endless sea of Mist. Thinking he might finally be free, he tries to use magic to plane shift away, but nothing happens; his prison isn't gone, just changed. Maybe he briefly hears the mocking laughter of the Dark Powers as they abandon him to look for a new toy.

That's just a bit of brainstorming, and not at all designed as a gameable scenario.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

The Giamarga wrote:
Ryan Naylor wrote:So if there’s anyone out there from Paizo: take me back! I’m sorry!
I think you guys should tryo getting back into the RPG business asap. Paizo and the current PF 3PP market are probably more easy ways into get into RP publishing then ever before.

Yes, Paizo RPG Superstar is closed for you as you have been pros, but there's lot's of other openings. PF has a fan netbook and a fan fiction netbook where the paizonians are definetely looking. Open Design has a Kobold Quarterly but also takes on writers for project. Many 3PP work with freelancers. Check out Michael Tumey's Kaidan setting which he publishes through Rite Publishing for example. Frog God Publishing (the risen Necromancer Games) and Legendary Games (who publish supplements for Paizos Gothic AP) are two other 3PPs to check out.
F. Wesley Schneider has posted here a couple times, but there are lots of great 3PP who take pitches. Super Genius Games produces a lot of content so they're likely always looking for good ideas. Firemountain Games and Rite Publishing do a lot of dark stuff. And Wayfinder is a great way to be (re)noticed.
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

15 years! No! I find that very hard to believe, because that would mean that I have been playing this game for about ...15...years...as well...I am not that old! I am not, I am not!

Ahem.

I have read the Book of S__ books and used them a lot in both my Ravenloft campaigns, but I don't think I was a customer since 1997. My first campaign started early 2004 and I had owned the ravenloft books since 2000 or 1999 maybe. I think I seriously used the Book of S__ a bit later than that.

But it is good to know that these books were made and that such a thriving community that created those, still exists. And it is good to see all these old familiar names again.

Jennifer
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Mangrum wrote:5. Heroes and Darklords are Enlightened: The defining nature of PCs in Ravenloft is that, for whatever reason, something has awoken them to the unnaturalness of the world. They are the handful of enlightened souls who can see past the limitations of their circumstances. Potential darklords are drawn from this same pool--they, too, are free to act as they wish, not at they must. Most NPCs, while fully fledged individuals, are ultimately trapped in the roles they were born to play.
I would de-emphasize this. It seems to contradict the "same rules for everyone" approach you do follow with other aspects of the game. Similar to the 4E mooks rules or the 2E 0-level humans rules, PCs are special seems to contradict the 3E core rules intent.
6. Lighten Up:
Embrace the D20/D&D fantasy system! +1. But add guidelines to make items cool, have history etc.
And, y'know, this would be as challenging as any other suggestion in this list, but I'd like to build romance into the setting as well. Sure, it's easy to say love conquers all, but let's throw some rules behind that!
Love it. :-) Maybe something along the line of the Blue Rose's/True20's Virtue and Vice/Conviction rules.
7. Classic Monsters, New Approach: In 3E, we tried to keep the Van Richten guides as canonical as possible. This time around, I wouldn't really be at all concerned with what was said before -- this would be a fresh approach. I would present werebeasts, vampires, ghosts, and probably revenants too right off the bat as prestige classes, and encourage monstrous PCs fighting their inner darkness as a play style. I would drop reality wrinkles entirely, not because I necessarily dislike the idea itself, but because I don't feel that years of increasingly fine-grained explanations about how they work ever stemmed the tide of confused gamers. And as for the Vistani, while I accept them as a Gothic trope and don't feel any personal need to toss out the concept, so long as it's handled with a certain sense of cultural awareness and delicacy, real-world society's changed and there's a very vocal component of gamers out there who consider any form of "fantasy Roma" to be pure racism. I'm a little tired of fighting the fight on that one, so I'd probably follow WotC's lead of re-imagining the Vistani to make them more of a chosen culture rather than an ethnicity.
Yes to all of that except, opening the Vistani (i.e. halfling vistani). Every fantasy race is racist, as they stereotype.
8. Codify Darklords and Sinkholes: Without getting into every last detail, I would insist on finally, fully codifying powers checks as a rule system, meaning that failed powers checks would apply to NPCs in exactly the same way as PCs. This might, and in some cases inevitably would, require rebuilding some darklords from scratch. This is a big change, but one that's intended to not just standardize power checks, but also, finally, introduce a built-in way to bring the rich history of the darklords to the gaming table. (No more three-page character histories that PCs can and will never learn.) I'll break this down into smaller nuggets.
Yes!!!

Did you see Nathan's Unified Theory of Powers Checks? He devised a rule system for Power Checks which fits canon and wouldn't result in needing to rebuild the DLs, while also applying universally to all (N)PCs.
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

The Giamarga wrote:
Mangrum wrote:5. Heroes and Darklords are Enlightened: The defining nature of PCs in Ravenloft is that, for whatever reason, something has awoken them to the unnaturalness of the world. They are the handful of enlightened souls who can see past the limitations of their circumstances. Potential darklords are drawn from this same pool--they, too, are free to act as they wish, not at they must. Most NPCs, while fully fledged individuals, are ultimately trapped in the roles they were born to play.
I would de-emphasize this. It seems to contradict the "same rules for everyone" approach you do follow with other aspects of the game. Similar to the 4E mooks rules or the 2E 0-level humans rules, PCs are special seems to contradict the 3E core rules intent.
I don't think this is in any way reflected in rules changes; he means narratively, PCs are somehow aware of the horrors that lurk in the dark and nasty places of the world, when most others are willfully ignorant, which is fundamentally how almost all RPGs and horror fiction works anyway. An NPC fighter and a PC fighter may have the same stats, but a PC recognises something the NPC doesn't.