Post by Buzzclaw »

I'm curious too.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: CONFIRMED: Ravenloft for 5th Edition

Post by ewancummins »

Removed by moi.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Zilfer wrote:^ what did you read? o.o'
I linked to it.

YMMV
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Buzzclaw
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Buzzclaw »

Curse of Strahd also continues D&D‘s efforts to be as open and inclusive of all gamers as possible and having the world of D&D reflect the diversity of the gaming table. Perkins said, “In our stories… there are black people in Barovia. There are powerful women… Even Strahd’s tastes are more open-ended than they used to be. If you look at Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Dracula himself is not beyond romancing a man. Strahd the vampire is attracted to charismatic, magnetic people. Period.”
I'm really not seeing what's so bad here beyond fishing for political correctness/diversity brownie points.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I have a hard time working up a rage over a deliberate choice to be diverse. (Or a small blurb out of context). Wizards in general has been very big on inclusion and diversity lately, and I applaud them for that. (Take a look at Magic recently, for example...) Believe it or not, there are gamers out there that feel marginalized by not seeing people like themselves in the game products. Barovia may be derived from Transylvania, but it's a fantasy version. There's no reason everyone has to be fake Romanians by way of Universal and Hammer films.

In short, relax, lets wait and see before condemning the product, shall we?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

EDIT

:lucas:
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:I have a hard time working up a rage over a deliberate choice to be diverse. (Or a small blurb out of context). Wizards in general has been very big on inclusion and diversity lately, and I applaud them for that. (Take a look at Magic recently, for example...) Believe it or not, there are gamers out there that feel marginalized by not seeing people like themselves in the game products. Barovia may be derived from Transylvania, but it's a fantasy version. There's no reason everyone has to be fake Romanians by way of Universal and Hammer films.

In short, relax, lets wait and see before condemning the product, shall we?
It is actually reducing diversity and replacing it with tokenism.

But I don't want to rant too much here. As I noted, YMMV.

And if you guys buy it when it comes out and like it, more power to you.

I am passing on it.

Buzzclaw
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Buzzclaw »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: (Or a small blurb out of context)
Yeah, the exchanges that take place within the two "…" could really change the feel of the whole thing.
ewancummins wrote:they throw in some token stuff and some buzzwords to appeal to SJWs on Tumblr.
Do you know for a fact that the black people Perkins mentioned are tokens? Do you know for a fact that female NPCs are tokens? And making an Evil, predatory bisexual (whom one of the Hickman's identifies as "a monster") definitely isn't something that appeals to SJWs.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Buzzclaw-

I appreciate that you see this rather differently. Let's not derail things with a long and pointless tangential discussion, shall we? I doubt that anything either of us writes could possibly persuade the other guy to alter his opinion.
Thus the YMMV.

Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Definitely YMMV. I could tell you my girlfriend will be excited to read that particular bit of news. I'm a bit neutral on the topic myself and will skirt the topic just by saying that I believe inclusiveness isn't a bad thing, but pointing the subject out and in everything entertainment has become excessive in recent years. :)

All that aside, I am still excited!!!!
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Indeed, Zilfer.

:gabrielle:

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

See you guys in other threads!
:azalin:

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Thanks for keeping things civil, guys. I'm sure we all know how topics like this can get heated. And yes, it's probably best to drop it.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I say we wait for the final product before making verdicts on it. :)
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

That was ackward indeed, evancummins, thanks for pointing us to this :)

Yes, we'll see what the final product look like, but I will remember this comment when I read it.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Awesome. It is about time that D&D embraces inclusiveness. Hetero-normitivity is very problematic and hasn't been addressed anywhere.
Last edited by tomokaicho on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.