The Shattered City: Chapter Three

Online roleplaying at the Café
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Catacombs of Port-a-Lucine, Night of April 21st, 770
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PC Actions
Tomas pulls Poincare and A2, hits A2 for
Kerrian heals Darius for 16 and Tomas for 12 HP, hits the Weird for 19.
Darius hits AM for 3 damage and pulls her a bit, then steals her energy resistance for a further 4 damage.
Lia hits the Grave Weird for 16 fire damage and A1 for 16-5=11 fire damage.
Gets AoOed by the Wraith for 8 damage and Weakened (Save Ends).
Nicolas quasi-heals Darius for 9 HP, hits Wraith 1 for 27/2=13 damage, Slides it (Sliding does not provoke AoOs, I believe), and immobilizes it (save ends).
Cyrus hits A1 for 20 damage, enough to kill it.
Agale Infernal Wraths W2 for 9/2=4 damage, moves and provokes an AoO, Slides the Weird so that it hits Anne-Marie for 16/2=8 damage. Weird takes 6+5=11 damage.
Wraith hits, deals 12 damage, and Weakens again.
Celeste hits the Weird for 21 HP.

Ongoing Damage:5 Psychic to Ash 1

Recharge Rolls: Anne-Marie does not recharge her Boreal Wind, A2 does not recharge it's Ashen Cloud. Wraith 1 does not recharge it's Frightful Moan (forgot to list that earlier, sorry).

Nicolas wrote:"There see what you can acheive with a little instruction, a wondorous performance, you truely deserve the limelight." He waves the blade once more sending the spectre flailing backwards into the localised lightining storm.

"Do you ever cease talking?" Katja said, scrambling back into the main tunnel as the spectre she had been fighting reeled back. The Lamordo-Darkonian woman was flushed, but otherwise seemed mostly fine, eyeing Nicolas's performance with a barely restrained smile. "I begin to see why Dementlieu has never been conquered, if everyone flees from your oratory."

Katja hits the Wraith 3 with Tides of Iron, dealing 15/2=7 damage and pushing it back a square. She then moves to rejoin the group.

"Not safer!" Thierri barked again, as Celeste walked past him towards the battlefield. He sent another bird of flame spinning towards the dilettante, whirling just in time to catch Cyrus plunging his sword through the helpless elemental's neck. For a moment, the magician visibly paused, staring with gleaming eyes as the cultist collapsed into formless ash. He shook himself out of it and looked away, dark fire starting to flare up around him. Kerrian, for a moment, felt even more feverish as an unpleasant heat permeated his body - then there was a reeling sensation as his flesh knitted itself back together, and Thierri was running past him, into the chamber.

The auburn-haired women appeared in the mirror as the mage approached the circle, watching him, before raising her hands once more. All of the mirrors flared brightly, as if catching the sunlight on a bright day. Then they exploded into rimefire once more, burning and freezing your skin all at once.

Thierri recharges his temp HP boost and tosses it onto Celeste, then heals Kerrian for 1 Healing Surge (14 HP). Then runs towards the circle. So he has a -5 to attack rolls and grants Combat Advantage. Until the start of his next turn.
Darius wrote:"Anarchist, murderess, daughter of Mytteri, you will pay for your crimes."
"I already did. I died because of you, remember?" Anne-Marie retorted. Then another spell fizzled. "Damn damn damn. You know, forget this. Eat them."

The hound, black breath steaming from its jaws, and wounded in a dozen places, was happy to oblige. The toxic darkness that flew from its gaping maw burned the skin, making it rot and decay with unnatural speed. The heavy earthen claws were barely an addition, after the fact.

Grave Weird uses Bloodied Breath vs. Reflex on Cyrus, Anne-Marie, and Darius. Hits the first two for 18 and 18/2 damage respectively, and criticals Darius for 29 HP, all Necrotic Damage.

Anne-Marie uses Winter's Wrath vs Will,... and misses against everyone. Deals 5 Psychic damage on the miss to Cyrus and Darius, and teleports away a bit.

The Grave Weird is now free of Tomas's Mark, and double-attacks vs Reflex, Cyrus and Darius. Hits both, dealing 11 damage to Cyrus and 9 to Darius, who are both Slowed (save Ends).

Mirror W14 attacks vs Reflex, Lia, Kerrian, and Celeste. Hits Kerrian for 14.
Mirror S12 attacks vs Reflex, Lia, Kerrian, and Celeste. Hits Lia, but is deflected by the Shield, misses celeste, hits Kerrian for 17 damage.
Mirror R8 attacks vs Reflex, Agale, hits, deals just shy of max damage with 27.
Mirror L13 attacks vs Reflex, Thierri, hits, deals 16 damage.
Mirror G15 attacks vs Reflex, Tomas and Ash 2, hits Tomas for 14-1=13, Crits the Elemental for 28. Just one of those days.
All damage is Cold/Necrotic

Ashen Elemental 2 delays it's action till after Poincare.

Frightful Wraith #1 can't take Move Actions, but Charges Lia and Shadow-Touches vs Fort, 8 damage and another Weakened (Save Ends). This triggers the Thunder Attack, Rock, you may roll that.
Frightful Wraith #2 goes and Shadow-Touches vs Fort on Lia, hits, deals 9 damage and Weakened (Save Ends), again.
Frightful Wraith #3 goes and harasses Nicolas, Shadow Touch vs Fort, deals 10 damage and he is Weakened (Save Ends).
All damage is Necrotic

Lia wrote:"Poincare! I am talking to you, not to your insipid lapdog! Listen to me! I have access to one of the greater Fey! If anyone knows ways to put the land back into its proper order, it will be he! Listen to me! You are the brains of your operation, so think! If we keep fighting each other, we may all lose -- and if you stay on this dark path, we have no choice but to fight you! Think of the land!"
This, at least, finally provoked a reaction from Dr. Poincare, enough to interrupt the ritual just a bit. She snorted.

"Did you in fact contact this Fey-Lord of yours before coming here?" Poincare said, a ghost of a smile playing on her lips. She spread her hands. "But go, summon it. Learn if it thinks there is another way but what we do here. I wish you best of fortune."

Then the chains wrapped around Poincare's leg, pulling her off the pedestal by the pool.
Tomas wrote:"I can see." Tomas says in Mordentish, all traces of humor melted from his face, "What you do to make those things. What you do to keep them in your thrall. You can hide it from everyone else-you can even hide from yourself." Ivorsen pulls up into the air, and its blue-gold light shimmers with power as Tomas seems, for a brief second, like the man nature intended him to be instead of what he is. "But you cannot hide the truth of you from ME, Nicole Poincare!"
Dr. Poincare looked at Tomas, a certain amount of simple exasperation on her face. Then she looked at him. It was a strange sort of gaze, as if in mid-sentence Poincare reached out and flipped a switch within Tomas's mind.

"Heal the elemental, then depart." Poincare said, then returned to the platform. There, she took out the knife and the shards of bone, and once more began the ritual anew. "Blood..." And Poincare's blood spilled into the pool. "Bone..." And the shard of bone was swept away in the glowing waters.

Poincare uses her Entrapping Gaze vs. Will on Tomas, who is Dominated (Save Ends). This provokes an AoO from Tomas. Next round he must use Lay on Hands on the Ash Elemental, and subsequently must take move actions to go into the tunnels and get as far away from Poincare as possible.
Ash 2 readies an action to attack Tomas once he heals it, but misses so it's a moot point.

Saves: Wraith 1 fails it's immobilization save.

Rubble: The patches of black (as opposed to the greyish walls) are rubble. It is Difficult Terrain.

PCs

Cyrus Isfahani (C): Slowed (Save Ends),
30/64; -- Bloodied, Regen 2 if Bloodied, +2 to all Saves.
AC 18, F 18, R 17, W 19, Resist 5 Cold

Darius Isfahani (D): Slowed (Save Ends),
15/66 -- Bloodied
AC 23, F 17, R 19, W 19-2, Resist 5 Cold

Mr. Agale (A): Weakened (Save Ends)
8/48; -- Bloodied, Regen 2 if Bloodied, Resist 5 Cold
AC 18, F 16, R 19, W 21

Nicolas Etienne de Castaigne (Nc): Weakened (Save Ends)
44/61; Regen 2 if Bloodied
AC 22, F 18, R 20, W 21-2

Tomas Eisenwald (T): Resist All/1 , Dominated (Save Ends)
53/65
AC 25, F 18, R 18, W 20, Resist 5 Cold

Prof. Lia Mournswaithe (L): Weakened (Save Ends) x3
29/54; Regen 2 if Bloodied
AC 20, F 16, R 18, W 17

Kerrian Mauganson (K):
22/58; -- Bloodied Regen 2 if Bloodied, Resist 5 Cold
AC 18, F 19, R 16, W 20

Kerrian's Spirit (Wolfish Outline)
Quasi-Minion
AC 18, F 19, R 16, W 20

Celeste Viardot (Cv):
50+9/55; Regen 2 if Bloodied, Chaotic Defense (+2)
AC 17+2, F 17+2, R 18+2, W 20+2, Resist 5 Cold

Allies

Katharina Zweibach (Green K)
-12 HP; Regen 2 if Bloodied
AC 25, F 22, R 21, W 21

Thierri Boucher (Green T)
-16 HP, Regen 2 if Bloodied
AC 22, F 20, R 22, W 20

Enemies

Anne-Marie, Recharging Boreal Wind, Winter's Wrath, Marked (Darius)
-24 HP
AC 21, F 20, R 21, W 22 - Insubstantial, Vuln 5 Cold

Grave Weird, Dazed, Marked
-138 HP -- Bloodied
AC 24, F 22, R 20, W 18

Mirror - W14 -21 HP
Mirror - S12
Mirror - R8
Mirror - L13
Mirror - K8
Mirror - G15
AC 18, F 15, R 15, W 15

Ash Elemental - 1 -DEAD
Ash Elemental - 2 Recharging Ashen Cloud, Divine Sanction
-43 HP -- Bloodied
AC 19, F 18, R 17, W 15

Frightful Wraith - 1 -19, Immobilized (Save Ends), Recharging Frightful Moan
Frightful Wraith - 2 -14
Frightful Wraith - 3 -9
AC 20, F 17, R 21, W 18 - Insubstantial

Non-Participants

Dr. Nicole Poincare (P):, Divine Sanction
AC 24, F 18, R 22, W 23
Last edited by NeoTiamat on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

katja wrote:"Do you ever cease talking?" Katja said
Nicolas pauses to grace Katja with a wink and a grin, "no not usually, but then perhaps if we live you could join me for dinner ma chere, then I'll charm you with my silver tongue." Nicolas might have been joking, or maybe not, but then for the second time in several minutes he is rudely interrupted by a spectre.

The poet pulls an exaggerated sigh, winks again at Katja "Once more into the breach..."

Steadying himself he twirls the sword over his head, bringing forth a resounding hum that grows louder and louder in intensity, as it does his voice raises too "Laugh at me, for everything I'm not. Lie to me with every tear you drop." At least compared to his last outburst this one has a tune to it, although in fitting with the environs its a melancholic one. Despite that, with the rising humming from the blade and the power of his voice he continues on to a crescendo of a chorus:

"Will I ever arise, from your cold arms again? Will you ever be mine, if I promise my lies will end?" The last line is ripped from his throat with real violence forcing all to cower back before him .Watching the spectre retreat Nicolas spins on the spot slamming the humming blade into the floor in a shower of sparks, sending a wave of rumbling sound flooding after it, a wave that smashes up against the others.

Wiping the blade nonchalantly on his coat he calls out "Lia my dear, I must say your complexion is looking a little pale, perhaps a little rouge on the cheeks cherie?" Flippant as usual still Lia will feel a warmth running through her form Nicolas attentions. Job done he advances forward, sword ready.

OOC:
Saving throw vs weakened: 11
Standard Action: Shout of triumph (close burst 3) 20 vs fort hits wraith 3 , wraith 1 and mirror w14
damage: 7 thunder damage
Wraith 3 is pushed to W14
Katja may slide 2 squares if she wishes perhaps X14 would be nice?
Free Action: Activating harsh songblade daily power to daze all enemies adjacent to triggering enemy i.e. wraiths 1,2,3 and the mirror, until end of Nicolas next turn (descrip doesn't mention a save)
Minor action: Majestic word on Lia for surge + 6 hp healed.
Move action: Nicolas hops to T12

** edit ** as I believe dazed things dont get to make AoO Nicolas will skip past the dazed wraiths to T12 trying to avoid Lia clobbering him for that last remark.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

NeoTiamat wrote:"I already did. I died because of you, remember?"
"And you will again," Darius snarls, gesturing sharply with his sword and causing the strands of electric force to reform. "As often as need be, until Hell swallows you for true."

Lashing at her again, he catches her around the torso and jerks her forward, stepping smoothly to the side to put her between her and his brother, now moving to flank her.

With the battle-madness on him, it's possible Darius has yet to notice that he's bleeding from several new wounds--not to mention the old ones.

Lightning Lure vs. Anne-Marie (28, Int v. Fort.), 7/2=3 damage, pull her to N10, then move into N11.

If'n anyone...Kerrian? Thierri?...has an opportunity to chuck some healing this way it would be much appreciated.

Oh, and save vs. slow is a 2.
Last edited by Nathan of the FoS on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

"You may not speak without the Lawgiver's permission," Cyrus intoned.

Brilliant white chains and spears of pure radiance shot from Cyrus. The chains entangled Anne-Marie and the spears pierced her spectral form. The radiant bindings latched onto the floor and ceiling, holding the ghost fast.

"He has not granted you permission," Cyrus said, "Even in death, you follow the wrong path. Now your path leads you to eternal suffering."

The chains flared brightly and the dommer glowed. Bright white light swirled around him, Anne-Marie, and the grave weird. The brilliance seared the two undead and then coalesced around Cyrus, settling on his shoulders like a cloak. The priest's face was grim.

"Be exorcised in His Holy Hidden Name."

Minor Action: Oath of Enmity vs. Weird
Move Action: Shift to N9
Standard Action: Abjure Undead vs. Anne-Marie.

Hit by ONE thanks to combat advantage. And it took three freaking rerolls to do that much. Anne-Marie takes 43/2 = 21 radiant damage. She is also immobilized (save ends)

ACTION POINT

Standard Action: Argent Mantle Close Burst 1, so hits the Weird and Anne-Marie. Wow, I missed twice, who would've guessed?

Effect: Until the end of the encounter, Cyrus may reroll the damage roll for any avenger attack power he uses, including this one, and take the second result.

First damage roll was actually not half bad, so 22 damage + 5 vulnerable = 27. Half on a miss, so 13 vs. Weird and a whopping 6 vs. Anne-Marie

And of course I fail the save vs. slow *rolls eyes*
Last edited by Kaitou Kage on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Kaitou Kage wrote:Hit by ONE thanks to combat advantage. And it took three freaking rerolls to do that much. Anne-Marie takes 43/2 = 21 radiant damage. She is also immobilized (save ends)
As Cyrus rounds into position and strikes home, the effigy of a panther forms at Darius' feet; leaping through Anne-Marie, it reaches Cyrus and disappears like a popped bubble, strengthening him.

Immediate reaction to use the Panther Spirit daily armor ability to give [damage/2]--so, 10--hit points of healing to an ally within 5 who hits with an attack and has flanking. That would be Cyrus. :lucas:
Last edited by Nathan of the FoS on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cronax
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cronax »

Mr. Agale reeled from the mirror's energy even as the spirit-stuff mended his broken body. Surveying the carnage, he considered his options. Retreat was considered, then discarded. While Agale had never in any honest estimation been considered brave, he was certainly practical. While he might escape the current predicament, he did not much care for his chances navigating a route out through the catacombs alone. Instead he bolts across the chamber, looking to get some distance from those dangerous mirrors. He exchanges a glance with the doctor, but says nothing her way, instead turning back towards Anne-Marie.

"Its time for this to end Miss Morjuet. Retire your being, Dommers, I leave her fate to your vigilant care." The lethargy emanating from the Tollere's voice was palatable and slowed the undeads' movements to a crawl. But in the grand and complex scheme of the universe, energy cannot be destroyed, only shifted. So it made a kind of obtuse logic that Darius would find himself contrariwise invigorated.

regenerating 2 hp thanks to Kerrian
While bloodied, the armor's property kicks in and he's got +2 to AC and saves.
Minor: Majestic Word on Darius, he can spend a surge +10, and may slide 1 square if he wants.
Standard: Hypnotic Pulse centered on Anne-Marie (it's a friendly fire safe power)
23 vs Anne's Will and 23 vs the Weird's Will
After weakness and insubstantiality, Anne takes 3 psychic and the hound takes 7 psychic damage.
They are both dazed (save ends)
I'll activate the orb on Anne so she needs to roll twice against the save each time and take the lower.
Move: Going to M17
Save vs weakened is a success.
"In normal times, evil would be fought by good. But in times like these, it must be fought by a different kind of evil."
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Kerrian...shuddered. No, not quite shuddered. Full on had a seizure would be a better way of putting it. Considering he was recently at the conflux of some sort of arcane onslaught from bizzare mirrors from another dimension, a mild neurological storm was probably a best case scenario. For a moment, it looked as if bones were trying to move under his skin, reconfigure into something less human seeming than his norm.

However, that moment passed, and bones seemed to realize that staying in their normal place was something that bones did.

All in all, probably a good thing. Kerrian advanced into the room, looking for Tomas. Spirits flared up around the Paladin, reinforcing Tomas' will to fight back against the unnatural orders that Ponicare had given. At the same time, another cloud of spirits formed around Cyrus, trying to restore some of the alacrity to his body.

A second moment's concentration both channeled revitalization into Agale and Darius, but also began an assault on the Graveweird by his spirit wolf, tearing into the undead elemental with the fury of a spring coming in like a lion, rejuvenating energy pouring forth into Darius as the assault commenced.

OOC:Regenerate 2, Moving to Q15, activating Sudden Restoration, which gives Tomas a chance to save vs Dominated, and Cyrus a chance to save vs Slow.

Standard action downgrades to a minor to use Healing Spirit on Agale for surge, and heal Darius for 5 from spirit companion spillover.

Then Action point for another Standard action, to use Spring Renewal Strike on the Graveweird.
Connects with a 29 vs fort for 11 damage, and Darius may spend a healing surge to get back surge+3
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Then die," Lia says to Poincare, gritting her teeth against the chilling touch of the wraiths. She charges forward while chanting words of power: "Sphaera fulminis expandens e manu meu evolat - evolat et inimici mei perfringet!"

A spark of electricity hurtles out of Lia's staff, whizzes down the room and expands into a localized lightning storm. Arcs of blue fire hiss across the Grave Weird, but fail to make an impression. They have much better results against Poincare and the basin she is performing her ritual at.

"My appreciation to you!" Lia calls to Nicolas. “Now let us bring terror upon the heads of our enemies."

(OOC: Lia moves to Q12 and casts a Shock Sphere at J12, engulfing the Grave Weird, Poincare and the pool. Attack rolls:
Grave Weird: 11. Meh. Miss.
Poincare: 22. Hit.
Pool: 28. Hit.
Damage roll: 15.
Rolling Thunder hits the Wraith that provokes its AoO for 5 Thunder damage.
Lia continues to sustain the Rolling Thunder-spheres as a minor action.
Lia is Weakened only once right now - she saved against two of the three Wraith touches.)
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

“Forgive me my errancy, M. Boucher! I was simply attempting to gain this particular passagew—

Celeste obligingly ducked into the the tunnel just to her left, and everyone suddenly remembered how there had been a minor earthquake ten minutes ago. You remembered this because there was another one. It was worse. It also appeared to somehow have localized itself directly under the grave weird’s front left foot, shaking it and Marie from top to bottom as if they were plastic tchotchkes in a snowglobe. The two of them would have had trouble moving afterward even if they hadn’t been surrounded by fallen rocks.

Everyone else was fine. Huh.

Thunder bomb at M9, hitting the Weird with a 26 against Fort and Anne-Marie with a 21 against Fort for 18 Thunder damage (before insubstantiality). In the unlikely event that either of them are resistant to thunder damage, this event bypasses 5 points of it. The weird is immobilized until the end of its next turn, and Anne-Marie is slowed until the end of hers. Celeste gets +1 to her AC for the turn and shifts to T16. Also, the universe fails an action-pointed Explosive Pyre at some point in there.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Catacombs of Port-a-Lucine, Night of April 21st, 770
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PC Actions
Tomas
Kerrian Gives Cyrus and Tomas a save each, heals Agale for 12 and Darius for 5, hits Weird for 11, heals Darius for another 19.
Darius hits Anne-Marie for 3 damage, heals Cyrus for 10 HP.
Lia hits W1 for 5/2=2 damage, hits Poincare for 15.
Nicolas shouts at W1, W2 for 7/4=1 damage each, and 2 damage to W14, dazes all Wraiths, heals Lia for 19 HP.
Cyrus hits AM for 21 damage and she is Immobilized, Save Ends, then a further 13 damage on the Weird and 6 on AM.
Agale hits AM for 3 and Weird for 7, dazes both (save ends), AM is Orbed as well. Heals Darius for 26.
Celeste Thunder Bombs the Weird for 18 damage (Killing it) and AM for 18/2=9 damage.

Anne-Marie is now Bloodied, and thus uses Bloodied Wrath vs Will. Misses Cyrus, crits Darius (I am speechless). Cyrus takes half for 7 damage, and Darius takes 17 damage and if Darius leaves his space, he takes a further 2d6+5 damage, all damage is Psychic. Moreover, while Darius stays in one place, all creatures have Concealment against him. This is a Save-Ends effect. Anne-Marie then teleports north two squares, though she is still immobilized thereafter.

Recharge Rolls: AM recharges Boreal Wind but not Winter's Wrath, Ashen 2 does not recharge Cloud, Wraith 1 does not recharge Frightful Moan.

Kerrian felt the same unpleasant feeling come over as before, a hot delirious feeling that was suddenly replaced by pain as his flesh knitted back together. It was horrible, but soon over, and once it was done he felt quite a bit better than he had before. Thierri turned away from the shaman, dashing back over towards where the magic circle lay etched into the ground. He reached out his hand and the magic began to resonate with him, flickering slightly in response.

Thierri heals Kerrian for 14 HP. He then moves up and begins to fiddle with the circle.
lostboy wrote:"Will I ever arise, from your cold arms again? Will you ever be mine, if I promise my lies will end?" The last line is ripped from his throat with real violence forcing all to cower back before him.]
The ghost replied to Nicolas' song with an agonizing wail, ripped forth from the very depths of despair. It shook the poet down to his very core, his limbs falling weakened and helpless to his sides despite his efforts. Katja grunted at this, cutting a low feint towards one of the spectres before smashing it backwards with the force of her fury. "Do you often receive such a response to your work?" she asked the reeling poet, twirling her sword in her hand in wary preperation.

One of the wraiths flew at her, sending spectral claws ripping into her frame. She brought her shield to bear, but it wasn't fast enough - and then she twisted to look directly at it with her covered eye.

There was a shattering noise, like broken glass, and for a moment Kaja's appeared like she was made of porcelin; cracks ran through her much like they had Richard's arm, when the mirror woman had grabbed it. Then the wole illusion shattered, leaving her as whole as ever. The ghost that had struck her howled in pain as great gashes ripped through its own form, the unholy strength behind it suddenly sapped.

Katja uses Tides of Iron on Wraith 1, pushes it back a square and deals 12/2=6 damage, then moves around to the other side.

Darius wrote:"And you will again," Darius snarls, gesturing sharply with his sword and causing the strands of electric force to reform. "As often as need be, until Hell swallows you for true."
Cyrus wrote:"Be exorcised in His Holy Hidden Name."
The spectral flesh hissed. Anne-Marie's fair form burned with holy light, black marks appearing all over her body. She seemed to be near shredded by the growing darkness.

"You. Are. Dead." Anne-Marie cried out, even as the divine brands burned at her body. But whatever her other qualities, one thing the ghost had never lacked for was determination. She frowned, and it Darius and Cyrus were flooded with cold.

Cold hate. Cold anger. Sheer, icy fury. Darius took the brunt of the mental attack, as his mind was clawed asunder by the specter's rage. Anne-Marie hated. She hated you, she hated all you stood for, and she used that hate as a weapon in the most literal sense possible.

When the mind-numbing fog began to clear, she was behind you now. Arcane lashes burst from her hands, a chilling counterpart to Darius's own lightning, pushing him forward between the two mirrors.

"You're traitors to the country. You're traitors to humanity." Anne-Marie hissed, her eyes alight. "I'm going to enjoy watching you die."

Then the woman in the mirrors nodded to the ghost, and arcane fire lashed out to burn the twin servants of the Lawgiver. The ghost turned to Lia. "And as for you..." The chilling wind she cast forth was so cold it seemed to burn.

Anne-Marie uses Double-Attack:
Soulflay vs. Reflex on Cyrus, miss (again)
Soulflay vs. Reflex on Darius, hits, deals 9 Cold&Necrotic, and Slides him 2 squares. Darius takes a -2 to all defenses till the end of AM's next turn.

Action Point:
Boreal Wind vs. AC on Lia, hits, deals 11-7=4 damage and Lia takes Ongoing 5 Cold Damage.

Mirror W14 holds off so as not to hurt the wraiths.
Mirror S12 attacks Lia, misses.
Mirror K8 attacks vs. Reflex, Cyrus and Darius. Hits both, dealing 13 Cold&Necrotic.
Mirror L13 attacks vs. Reflex, Darius. Misses, and the world order turns upside down.

Ashen Elemental 2 attacks Agale
Dust of Dread vs. Reflex, 7 damage, and Agale is pushed 5 squares. This is a Fear Effect.
This activates Divine Sanction for 6 damage.

Frightful Wraith #1 is immobilized, dazed, and out of range.
Frightful Wraith #2 uses a Frightful Moan vs. Will on Katja and Nicolas, misses Katja, Nicolas takes no damage but is Dazed (Save Ends). Turnabout is fair play.
Frightful Wraith #3 charges Katja. Shadow Touch vs. Fort, hits on the nose, Katja takes 12 Necrotic Damage and is Weakened (Save Ends).

Katja uses Mirrored Strike, negates the damage on herself and instead it is the Wraith who takes 12/2=6 necrotic and is Weakened (Save Ends).

Saves: Anne Marie rolls a 17, 18, and 13 on her saves, she is un-Dazed and un-Immobilized, Wraith 1 makes its save and de-immobilizes, Wraith 3 makes it's save and is de-weakened. Why don't I ever roll this well on saves as a player...
Lia wrote:"Then die," Lia says to Poincare, gritting her teeth
"I always expected to." Dr. Poincare said, her teeth baring into a mad grin as the electricity danced through her body. The scholar rummaged around her feet, pulling out another of the blocks of wood with its black veneer, and the jar of grey dust.

"Ash..." Poincare called to the world at large. She flung the graveyard wood into the pool, whispering as she did so. It ignited, burning with a darkling flame, so that only ash fell into the roiling pool.

"Dust..." The priestess of the unseen cult opened the satchel of mausoleum dust, pouring the fine, grey dust into the mad pool. The water swirled and churned, forming something not unlike a whirlpool beneath the earth. The waters glowed, and once could see unholy things drift within them. Poincare watched the pool for a moment, her eyes dark and hooded. She tossed the ritual dagger aside, where it clattered harmlessly to the ground.

"Dr. Poincare," Thierri said, his eyes snapping up from where he was looking at the ritual circle.

Breath..." Dr. Nicole Poincare whispered. She made a sign of some sort with her hand, touching forehead, throat, and heart. Then, with a kind of final, grim determination, Dr. Poincare stepped forward, falling into the unholy whirlpool.

"Stop!" Thierri cried out, far too late.

The water parted, just slightly, just far enough back to reveal the thousands of half-formed specters just below the surface. Ghostly hands burst forth, grabbing Poincare, covering her in a writing mass of grabbing fingers - they covered her from head to toe, men's hands covering her body, women's hands wrapping around her neck, children's fingers grasping at her nose and mouth. And then they pulled her down. You could see the spectres split apart, forming a whirling corridor in which to drag Poincare, hands tearing at her body all the way. She fell deep into that spiralling morass, until you could see her no more - nothing more than the endless whirlpool of screaming spirits.

The ritual circle pulsed, and Thierri staggered, reeling as the flames of his magic began to gutter and dim. A dark miasma began to rise from the ground as the circle burned orange. Thierri himself made not a sound, nor moved an inch. The only sign of life from him was the slow, deadly smile, sharp as a knife, as he stared enraptured at Nicole Poincare's grisly fate.

CRASH! CRASH! CRASH!

The mirrors were shattering. One by one, each of the mirrors exploded in a cloud of glass and wood. There was no reason for it, no logic, only the flitting reflection of a long-haired woman within them. She passed by, touching the surface of the mirrors with just a gentle caress. Then they would shattered, becoming no more.

CRASH! CRASH! CRASH!

From the well began to pour a thin tendrils of mist, gathering above the pool in a heavy cloud. You could almost fancy you could see faces in the smoke, appearing for an instant before vanishing back into formlessness. It was only when some of those twisted spirits pulled themselves free, swimming towards you through the darkness, that you realized the faces were quite real.

The Mist: Any living creature entering or beginning it's turn within the mist takes 10 Necrotic Damage. Living creatures cannot spend Healing Surges while within the Mist. The Mist currently covers the old squares of the pool, I-J-K, 12-13-14

Rubble: The patches of black (as opposed to the greyish walls) are rubble. It is Difficult Terrain.

PCs

Cyrus Isfahani (C): Slowed (Save Ends), Argent Mantle
20/64; -- Bloodied, Regen 2 if Bloodied, +2 to all Saves.
AC 18, F 18, R 17, W 19, Resist 5 Cold

Darius Isfahani (D): Slowed (Save Ends), Winter's Wrath (Save Ends), Soulflay (-2 to all defenses)
26/66
AC 23-2, F 17-2, R 19-2, W 19-4, Resist 5 Cold

Mr. Agale (A): Armor (+2 saves, AC while bloodied)
15/48; -- Bloodied, Regen 2 if Bloodied, Resist 5 Cold
AC 18+2, F 16, R 19, W 21

Nicolas Etienne de Castaigne (Nc): Dazed (Save Ends)
44/61; Regen 2 if Bloodied
AC 22, F 18, R 20, W 21-2

Tomas Eisenwald (T): Resist All/1 , Dominated (Save Ends)
53/65
AC 25, F 18, R 18, W 20, Resist 5 Cold

Prof. Lia Mournswaithe (L): Ongoing 5 Cold Damage (Save Ends).
44/54; Regen 2 if Bloodied
AC 20, F 16, R 18, W 17

Kerrian Mauganson (K):
38/58; -- Bloodied Regen 2 if Bloodied, Resist 5 Cold
AC 18, F 19, R 16, W 20

Kerrian's Spirit (Wolfish Outline)
Quasi-Minion
AC 18, F 19, R 16, W 20

Celeste Viardot (Cv):
50+9/55; Regen 2 if Bloodied, Chaotic Defense (+2)
AC 17+2, F 17+2, R 18+2, W 20+2, Resist 5 Cold

Allies

Katharina Zweibach (Green K)
-12 HP; Regen 2 if Bloodied
AC 25, F 22, R 21, W 21

Thierri Boucher (Green T) Dazed (Save Ends)
-16 HP, Regen 2 if Bloodied
AC 22, F 20, R 22, W 20

Enemies

Anne-Marie, Recharging Boreal Wind, Winter's Wrath, Marked (Darius)
-66 HP -- Bloodied
AC 21, F 20, R 21, W 22 - Insubstantial, Vuln 5 Cold

Grave Weird
DEAD

Mirrors
SHATTERED

Ash Elemental - 1 -DEAD
Ash Elemental - 2 Recharging Ashen Cloud, Divine Sanction
-49 HP -- Bloodied
AC 19, F 18, R 17, W 15

Frightful Wraith - 1, Recharging Frightful Moan, Dazed
-22 -- Bloodied
Frightful Wraith - 2 Recharging Frightful Moan, Dazed
Frightful Wraith - 3, Dazed
-22 -- Bloodied
AC 20, F 17, R 21, W 18 - Insubstantial

New Enemies

Seething Wraith - S1
Seething Wraith - S2
AC 19, F 16, R 19, W 18 -- Insubstantial

Moon Wraith - M1
Moon Wraith - M2
AC 21, F 19, R 20, W 18 -- Insubstantial

Ice Wraith - 1
Ice Wraith - 2
Ice Wraith - 3
Ice Wraith - 4
AC 19, F 20, R 18, W 19 -- Insubstantial, Minion

Non-Participants

Dr. Nicole Poincare (P):
DEAD
Last edited by NeoTiamat on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Katja wrote:"Do you often receive such a response to your work?" she asked the reeling poet, twirling her sword in her hand in wary preperation.
"Frequently. Its one of my many gifts." Nicolas deadpans whilst he tries to stop the world spinning long enough to focus on the dead thing in front of him that didn't have the courtesy to clamber back in its moudly box quietly.

Shaking his head once, he abruptly and without ceremony smashes the pommel of his sword straight into the wraith's face. "Although one does learn not to take such critiscm to heart." He looks thoughtful for a moment as the last blow sends the wraith reeling "it appears a good old fashioned thump on the nose does the trick."

Then taking a brief look over his shoulder at the rather unappealing developments, adds: "I think perhaps it might be time to consider rounding up the troops and taking our leave, it appears a bad situation has just got much worse."

OOC:

Standard Action Guiding Strike 27 vs AC on Wraith 2
Yes Neo I really did spend 15 RT doing that....
9 Weapon Damage and wraith has -2 to AC until end of Nicolas next turn
Which should make it easier for Katja to slice and dice
Save vs Dazed: 20
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

"Nrrgh...!" Tomas exclaims, struggling with something as his armor's attacks are banished. His hand is raised, shaking as he struggles not to touch the elemental, when there's a blast from Kerrian!

Tomas isn't all that sure what happens next, it takes him a minute to regain his senses, but he feels like he owes the kid a great deal. He feels like someone sucked the life out of him, and it takes a second to realize just how bad things are going.

"Acamar's maw..." Tomas swears, wondering what could have pushed the professor to consider death a good option. He takes a half step forward, careful to avoid the choking mist, and it clicks. He looks at Thierri.

"We've got to get control of this ritual." Tomas manages, swiping weakly at the icy wraith and managing to only hit air. "She was one Weird short, but its releasing every soul the Grave Weirds she did feed to the well have captured! If we cannot reseal the portal, hundreds of ghosts will be free to ravage Port-a-Lucine!"

Panting, Tomas looks at the swiftly assembling horde of wraiths, and makes a decision. "Hey!" His voice shimmers with divine potential, sparks coming off of the iron bolts on his shoulders that hold his armor together. "Fight me!"

(OOC: I'm an idiot. I made a mistake last round. I did also make my saving throw, so what I am doing is blowing two healing surges to make up for skipping a round where I was dominated.

Free Action: Make a few checks, learn what's going on.
Standard Action: Attack I2, miss.
Move Action: Shift to H15.
Minor Action: Use Call of Challenge to make I1, I2, A2, M2, S1, and S2 subject to my Divine Sanction.)
"Is there anything keeping us from checking that place out tonight?" Besides sanity, naturally.
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Kerrian gestured, and a shimmer filled the air near where the unnatural mist was pouring forth, the sounds of battle ringing within that bound space as if an echo of long before. He was already on his way to the ritual circle, spirit wolf advancing with him and trying to tear into one of the Icy wraiths.

OOC: Spirits of Battle, Burst 5 Originating at M13. Allies within the zone get +1 to attack rolls. Lasts till the end of the encounter. Spirit Wolf Moves to M13, Kerrian to L14, protecting strike vs Ice Wraith 4, re-roll nets me a hit, which drops the wraith.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
Cronax
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cronax »

What am I doing? Agale asked himself as he raced down the tunnel into the darkness of the catacombs. Retreat was unnecessary, wasn't it? Am I losing control? No, there are still alternatives. He skidded to a halt, then started jogging back up the tunnel into harms way once more.
Anne-Marie wrote:"You're traitors to the country. You're traitors to humanity." Anne-Marie hissed, her eyes alight. "I'm going to enjoy watching you die."
"No, you will not." Mr Agale was entirely deadpan. "We unfortunately have no more time for your shenanigans. You clearly haven't the capacity to even understand what Dr. Poincare was doing or you would drop this charade and assist us in sealing the rift. Face the facts Ms. Morjuet, you are at best to the cult a curiosity. Why do you think no effort was made to rescue you from Montmort?" Once again, something about the Tollere's words cut through the spirit woman's essence like a physical knife.

Regenerating 2 hp
Move: Going to O18
Minor: Distract Against AM
Standard: Augment 2 Mind Thrust vs AM
miss becomes a critical with reroll tokens
She takes 26 psychic damage and has a -4 to all defenses until the end of Agale's next turn
"In normal times, evil would be fought by good. But in times like these, it must be fought by a different kind of evil."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Darius has a fair amount of experience with being hated, with varying degrees of intensity and justification. It is a positive pleasure to be hated by someone so intransigent and corrupt as this woman.

At least, that's what he tells himself as he works up his nerve to rip through the mental shackles she has bound him with. She's somewhere to his left; her form flickers dimly at the edge of his vision. He could try the lure again, but the odds aren't good.

It just has to be done.

Gathering his will, he forces himself through the cage of lies she's woven, through space itself, and finds himself, as he planned, next to her, sword drawn and ice riming the blade.

"You will not escape," he whispers, and plunges the blade home.

Move: Armathor's Step to O10, taking the damage from the Wrath power. Armathor's Step gives a +2 on my attack vs. Anne-Marie. Frigid Blade, roll is a 26 vs. AC, damage is 1 (roll)+6 (bonuses)+5 (cold vulnerability)/2=6. Unless "vulnerable" bypasses insubstantiality, in which case it would be 8. I think I have rolled a 1 for damage on every successful attack this combat. :shock: Fortunately, I don't do that much damage anyway. If Anne-Marie drops there will be no enemy close enough for me to mark, so that'll be all, I figure. Saves are 12 vs. slow and 1 (sheesh) vs. Wrath.
Last edited by Nathan of the FoS on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.