Birthright Chapter Six

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright Chapter Six

Post by steveflam »

Torthur looks at Reese and nods. "Yeah, I sure did, lad. Let's go report ter Roald," he says in a low voice. He looks around like he is looking for something. "Ye done see Clyde? He shouldn'a bin gone far. Mebbe he wandered off ter fish? Kin yer fin' out from the mens, Reese? I'd be grateful and feel better."

He walks over to where he spies Roald. "Oi, Roald, I heared a decent pair 'o' news."

Torthur relates what the Priest was telling everyone first. Secondly, he tells the man exactly what he saw and what it would take
for their excursion.

"So. I see it like this. I knows whut tha priest said. But law shmaw. Whut say ye? We gonna sit here on our asses or go an have us some fun?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Torthur looks at Reese and nods. "Yeah, I sure did, lad. Let's go report ter Roald," he says in a low voice. He looks around like he is looking for something. "Ye done see Clyde? He shouldn'a bin gone far. Mebbe he wandered off ter fish? Kin yer fin' out from the mens, Reese? I'd be grateful and feel better."
[/i]
Reese says,"Sure, I'll ask the others, and look about for him if they don't know."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Bushwackers

"Hrmm, interesting." Roald strokes his beard as he listens to Torthur's news. "This could actually work out in our favor if we play our cards right." Roald turns towards his men. "I still plan on proceeding as planned, but if any of you are uncomfortable, speak up now."
Last edited by Varrus the Ethical on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

CROAKER NORGE

When Filbert brings word of the wounded soldiers pouring in, he turns and quickly bows to Devlin. "Begging your pardon, Your Grace." With that he steps outside, to get a look at the retreating soldiers.

He looks for any sign of sigil or banner born by the retreating soldiers. The last he had heard anything, his father had been in command across he border, taking the fight to Alamie near Hildon.

He sees one soldier talking to Filbert, begging not to be called a coward. In Rennault's mind, that only made the soldier even more cowardly.

"Take heart, lad, there are ways to kill even a demon," he tells the soot-covered man. "We'll rally. Alam doesn't have us beaten, soldier. Wounds heal, and you'll be all the stronger for the scars. Now tell me, friend, who commanded our forces at the battle?"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:CROAKER NORGE

When Filbert brings word of the wounded soldiers pouring in, he turns and quickly bows to Devlin. "Begging your pardon, Your Grace." With that he steps outside, to get a look at the retreating soldiers.

He looks for any sign of sigil or banner born by the retreating soldiers. The last he had heard anything, his father had been in command across he border, taking the fight to Alamie near Hildon.

He sees one soldier talking to Filbert, begging not to be called a coward. In Rennault's mind, that only made the soldier even more cowardly.

"Take heart, lad, there are ways to kill even a demon," he tells the soot-covered man. "We'll rally. Alam doesn't have us beaten, soldier. Wounds heal, and you'll be all the stronger for the scars. Now tell me, friend, who commanded our forces at the battle?"

''Edwer the Tall, but the demon ate him right at the start of things, around sunup. It just leapt on him and burned him to ashes, and started burning everything else in sight! The Alamiens kept a distance, firing arrows. Maybe if we'd still had those knights from Ghonallison with us, Count Robin's men..."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:Bushwackers

"Hrmm, interesting." Roald strokes his beard as he listens to Torthur's news. "This could actually work out in our favor if we play our cards right." Roald turns towards his men. "I still plan on proceeding as planned, but if any of you are uncomfortable, speak up now."

The men look about at one another, confer in subdued voices.
After a moment, one steps forward and says,

"Naw, we figure that unless word comes from Duke Devlin or some other noble with authority, saying that a truce is on, that we should go ahead with the raid. The Alamiens will probably hang us all, letter of marque or not, if they catch us. But we come this far, so I guess we are all looking after that silver and gold we were told we'd get. "

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

ewancummins wrote:
The men look about at one another, confer in subdued voices.
After a moment, one steps forward and says,

"Naw, we figure that unless word comes from Duke Devlin or some other noble with authority, saying that a truce is on, that we should go ahead with the raid. The Alamiens will probably hang us all, letter of marque or not, if they catch us. But we come this far, so I guess we are all looking after that silver and gold we were told we'd get. "
Roald smiles. "Good." Roald turns to Torthur. "Can you lead us to the spot you scouted? I want to prepare our little surprise for that pay wagon."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE BUSHWHACKERS
Reese soon returns to report that Cylde is sleeping under a willow tree, near the raft left by the boatmen (meant to provide the party's backlup means of escape if things go bad and the boatmen cannot return to pick them up).

The Tuor boatmen are 'fishing' along the opposite bank, ready for a signal to return.

Will the party try to cajole the bear into tagging along on the raid, or leave him sleeping near the raft?

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Ranald suggests,
“If they turn out to be enemies and they somehow catch me, I could surrender on the spot. I can pose as a gentleman from some further town, fleeing the Goblins. That's plausible. Enemies might wish to hold me for ransom. A risky stratagem; but it’s better than trying to cut my way out, for sure. You others could rescue me later. "

He pulls back from the ledge, certainly out of sight of any watchers below, and shrugs into his fur coat from a sitting position.

"I'll confess that I'd feel safer with some backup, though. Just in case those men are foes and don't turn out to be the reasonable sort."
"Then I would suggest that you my Lord be the one that has the individual spell placed on you then . And the other would be on me and Safana as we accompany you ."Gunnar whispers to Ranald . Turning to whisper to Safana"Is there any way that you can see Sir Ranald also when are thus rendered invisible at the same time ? So as at least one of us can keep track of the Esquire ."
Last edited by Lord Skybolt on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

CROAKER

Renn listens to the soldier's report with a furrowed brow. It' not quite relief he feels when he learns his father was not at the battle, but rather the sense of a premonition fulfilled. "Of course The Old Fox isn't here," he says more to himself than anyone else. "But by hell," he says to the soldier, "you've got a Ghonallison now."

He puts his helmet atop his unstrung bow and raises it in the air. "Come on, lads, let's get some order! You're still men Tuornen, damn it! You might be turned, but I know you're not licked, boys! Rally to Ghonallison! Officers and sergeants, to me, rally to Ghonallison!"
Last edited by Brock Marsh Runoff on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

ewancummins wrote:FOERDE, THE ABBOT'S OFFICE

The two surviving monks enter the office where Foerde is busy writing in the salvaged, partially repaired logbook.

Brother Alefred stands with his back to the sunlit window square.
He speaks,
"We have decided to elect you temporary abbot, if you will take the job. You are already doing it, in truth. Later, when we have rebuilt you can stay on with us or move on as you choose, and if you wish to be the abbot you'll need to stand for formal election. What do you say, Brother Foerde?"

"Honored as I am by your offer to stand in formal election, I will be moving on." Foerde says. "I will stay on as a temporary abbot. I pray that Grand Master Fyhlie sends reinforcements or at least some scouts to check on the condition of this monastery. In the mean time lets make do with what have." He says.

Finished with making additions to the logbook, Foerde gently closes and leaves it on the desk. "Come lets see what we can do about uplifting the spirits of those left in our care." He says and then leaves the office.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

GUNNAR'S WARBAND
Lord Skybolt wrote:
Ranald suggests,
“If they turn out to be enemies and they somehow catch me, I could surrender on the spot. I can pose as a gentleman from some further town, fleeing the Goblins. That's plausible. Enemies might wish to hold me for ransom. A risky stratagem; but it’s better than trying to cut my way out, for sure. You others could rescue me later. "

He pulls back from the ledge, certainly out of sight of any watchers below, and shrugs into his fur coat from a sitting position.

"I'll confess that I'd feel safer with some backup, though. Just in case those men are foes and don't turn out to be the reasonable sort."
"Then I would suggest that you my Lord be the one that has the individual spell placed on you then . And the other would be on me and Safana as we accompany you ."Gunnar whispers to Ranald . Turning to whisper to Safana"Is there any way that you can see us see us also when are thus rendered invisible at the same time ? So as at least one of us can keep track of the Esquire ."

Ranald nods in silent assent, and double-checks his belt, dagger, waterskin, etc to make sure nothing is hanging loose.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

CROAKER NORGE

Filbert looks at the soldier and tries to imagine what he would have done if he was a soldier and had to fight a fire demon...that even more killed their leader after few moments...Inpsired from Renn's words he said:

"You are not a coward, I understand where you are coming from but you are all safe now and I'm sure with the right guidance of a Ghonallison you will do much better."

Then the halfining goes to check on the soldiers and help the wounded as better as he can offering them water and food.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

CORMAC

Cormac chuckles. "Heh. Well if some o' the ladies feel like stayin', who are we to argue."

He nods towards the abbey. "Let's get back an' see to gettin' things movin'."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:CROAKER NORGE

Filbert looks at the soldier and tries to imagine what he would have done if he was a soldier and had to fight a fire demon...that even more killed their leader after few moments...Inpsired from Renn's words he said:

"You are not a coward, I understand where you are coming from but you are all safe now and I'm sure with the right guidance of a Ghonallison you will do much better."

Then the halfiing goes to check on the soldiers and help the wounded as better as he can offering them water and food.

Several of the dirty, ragged men can barely sit upright, much less stand without aid. Those men lay prostrate with exhaustion, too tired even to speak. A few do get up at Renn’s exhortation, and try at least to help their fellows. The young man with blistered fingers, who had spoken first to Filbert, does manage to stagger to his feet. He helps the farmer's wife, just come from the well with a bucket, take water to the others.

Another man, his gray beard burned away on the left side of his wrinkled face, staggers forward to grab Renn’s right arm.
“I’ll follow you, my lord!”