Wizard's return to Drivethrurpg.com

Discussing all things Ravenloft
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Wizard's return to Drivethrurpg.com

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

alhoon wrote:
High Priest Mikhal wrote: 4e has been around just under five years, the shortest lifespan of any edition before the announcement of the next one.
It may have been announced for 5 years, but it lasted IIRC like 3 years from the moment they launched to the moment they more or less abandoned it (like 6 months ago).
:shock: Wow. Just three years? That's...I'm dumbfounded. What happened, exactly?
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Well, it probably wasn't selling well coupled with... they've practically printed every essential material already. Yes, you could probably beat a dead horse by publishing martial power 12 or the "secrets of the ocean" or something, but more or less, 4E has completed it's course with all the material 90% of their customers would ever need.
If you remember the last years of 3.5 were changes to the rules and weird ascessories. Chromatic dragon guidebook (After the draconomicon), the book about binders and shadowcasters (that was a good one), legendary items, magic of incarna-whatever, etc.

As for the 3 years: I count them as such:
They announce 4E like 5 years ago. Then about 4 years ago they start selling it (I count that as the starting point. Then 6 months ago they announce D&D Next (which I count as the "end" point). So it's a "productive" lifespan of 3 1/2 years more or less. In theory 4E is still the current edition with adventures coming out for 4E, dragon and dungeon using it etc. But it's like the "twilight" years of the edition, like a venerable man.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Back on the subject of the current pdf offerings, it seems like they corrected the description of their offering of RM2 the Created to the correct description of the module as the adventure in Odiare rather than the Children of the Night: The Created they had initially mislabeled it as.