The Devil's Dreams, Chapter Five

Online roleplaying at the Café
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Devil's Dreams, Chapter Five

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

"Thom may be having a point, Benn. The sheriff, she did not seem especially pleased with you when we were leaving."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict shrugs. "I have little use for her either. But, to my recollection, Theophile's notes are in the house, and so is she. Getting to one will necessitate getting past the other."

"As to your question, I haven't felt the hallucinogenics or restricted airway yet, but I'm guessing that it is, in fact, the same fungus. The odd coloration all but confirms it, I would think."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"I'll talk to the sheriff, if you all like," Everline says. "I uh, may have an in there. Don't ask."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn glances over Everline's shoulder and, eyes widening in shock, quickly tackles her to the ground, screaming "DOWN!"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

in the gully outside the cave mouth-

Adam wrote:Benn glances over Everline's shoulder and, eyes widening in shock, quickly tackles her to the ground, screaming "DOWN!"

Benn knocks the young lady to the ground. Something snaps among the bushes at the far end of the gully.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn points in the direction of the assassin, hoping the others will spring into action.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Eustace looks in the direction pointed by Benn, holding his crossbow at once. What does he see?
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Eustace and Alain react more quickly than the others. Both men look over just in time to see a doe break cover. The deer stares at the party for a moment, eyes wide with fear, and then staggers away. She doesn't make it far, but collapses on the rocky ground downstream...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"It's only a doe for Gods sake !!! But look it's sick . Observe how it has fallen . It looks as if it has been sicken by the water of the river . We must hurry and alert all who get there drinking water from the river ."Alain says in response to Benn reaction to the doe . Thinking to himself:And then we must go and kill that bastard from the road .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Yeah," Everline says, her voice a little muffled. "Thanks for the warm hug, I was a bit chilly, but can I get up now? Don't think we know each other long enough yet to spend the whole night cuddling."

As soon as she's back on her feet, Everline nods to the doe. "An' there's our item a' supportin' evidence fer the Sheriff. Let's go, it's time ta do some good. I'll ferret out the Sheriff, then head ta Rotwang an' his guest."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Thoroughly embarrassed, Benn stands up and helps Everline back to her feet, brushing himself off and going to do the same for her, before stammering and walking towards the house.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Now, now, this is just how convenient as we can get, but I suppose we're going to need more evidence. We must bring the sheriff by the river, and show him something drinking from the water and getting sick. If he suspects us, he will simply say we poisoned the doe."

Still, Eustace is grimly satisfied that they have a chance of showing their reason.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

later...

Everline located the sheriff, and sent her to investigate the dead doe down in the gully. After talking with the sheriff, Everline had a chance to consult with Doctor Rotwang.

Eustace has been to his room at the guesthouse, and recovered all his belongings. The monk's things seem to have been rifled- but his door is locked and the servants at the guesthouse all swear that no one has entered in his absence. Nothing is missing. The monk has fetched his horse from the stables.

Benn sneaked into the great hall of the manor-home, and secured most of Theophile's notes. The whole time he is pilfering the notes, Benn heard very loud footsteps upstairs- like a giant stamping around the second floor. The sheriff was busy talking with Everline while Benn was quietly at work.

All of the heroes feel queasy and a little short of breath. Alain, Thom, and Dorgio have each been troubled by strange, frightful sensations. Objects shift size and shape. Colors fade into gray- or else become alarmingly bright for unpredictable intervals. Faces of friends take on a sinister, cruel aspect.

Now the sun is setting. Will the heroes make a rendezvous? Will they survive the night?

Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Eustace casts his Delay Disease spell on himself once he is alone in his room. It's the only one he had prepared to that effect, and he hopes it will at leasdt give him some extra time. If only he had prepared other spells...
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Ail wrote:Eustace casts his Delay Disease spell on himself once he is alone in his room. It's the only one he had prepared to that effect, and he hopes it will at leasdt give him some extra time. If only he had prepared other spells...

Although Eustace still feels weak from the effects of the fungus, the nausea and the disturbing hallucinations fade away. He can breath normally, at least for now.