I only wish I had retired sooner!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Catman Jim wrote:It's down now to the Final Four:

The Realms witch-queen The Simbul vs 4th Edition deity The Raven Queen

The Realms assassin Artemis Entreri vs Tiamat, Queen of all evil dragons
Two gods versus two uppity mortals? I'm betting on the gods. Even if Tiamat is 'just' a god-like monster...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Hey. I'm a god!

*votes for Tiamat*
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

Umm I find it a bit suspicious that a 4E god managed to get this far, especially considering the heavy Realms bias on display. Have 4E creations gathered that much popularity now? I mean, Soth isn't exactly a pushover.

If Raven Queen beats Simbul by too much of a margin, I'd get suspicious and think that this may be a ploy to drum up interest in new creations.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

I wouldn't be all that surprised. I am not exactly Super-4e Fan, and I had the Raven Queen winning it all.

Mostly because she reminds me of the Lady of Ravens. ;)
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Well, I never understand what motivates people to vote.

As for 4E going well, remember that the generation that goes there and votes is biased towards 4E.

Why?
- Young people mostly. The old guys (exceptions exist, like our old men here)
- Many of the voters are people that are visiting WotC site often, so they're bombarded by the new product.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

Hold on alhoon, if that were true, then the Realms bias wouldn't be so pronounced.

I'm not suggesting 4E is doing well or poorly, I'm simply curious as to how a relatively new character managed to gather such a following in such a short time span.

Mind you, it's just a game. I mean, I hope no one is losing sleep over Emrikol not winning or anything. Although I suspect someone out there is comparing the stats of the various characters and complaining about the results and how the voters are all "stupid kiddies" or some other equally silly notion.

This is little more than a distraction with a small market research potential value added on.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Keep in mind that the WotC D&D site is really 90% geared to DDI subscribers. If not for DDI there's no reason to visit the site on a regular basis. There's no real news, few free articles (except excerpts), and much of the main page is dominated by a giant banner ad.

People discovering the competition are going to overwhelmingly be 4e players who use DDI.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Plus if you are not signed in to anything you can still vote and thus it can be bombarded by those who wish to manipulate the odds by buffing their picks multiple times. I noticed this when I went to check each week and though I am unregistered it still asked me to buff every time.

Only did once each week however because I thought that was fair...

But yes I don't understand the sheer numbers behind the Raven Queen... I mean she has soundly dashed some of the greats and Vecna was the last even partially Ravenloft contender... Ah well... May have to read up on this Raven Queen because lets face it, she has half our campaign settings name in her name so she can't be all bad. Still I hope Artemis wins.

I think it would be great to have him trounce multiple gods with his whole I hate religion angle. :wink:
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Jester of the FoS wrote:Keep in mind that the WotC D&D site is really 90% geared to DDI subscribers. If not for DDI there's no reason to visit the site on a regular basis. There's no real news, few free articles (except excerpts), and much of the main page is dominated by a giant banner ad.

People discovering the competition are going to overwhelmingly be 4e players who use DDI.
alhoon wrote: - Many of the voters are people that are visiting WotC site often, so they're bombarded by the new product.

Jester put my thoughts in far better words than me. I'm thinking of hiring him (ala dominating him) and use him as a vessel for my thoughts.
I'll funnel my superior for you people thoughts through him, he will "dumb them down" to sub-illithid intellect levels and speak.

(Yes, I'm as off topic as it can be)
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Down to Raven Queen vs Tiamat.

Support the Raven Queen. She's closer to Ravenloft after all. :)

Who knows, she may even make the Lady of Ravens her exarch.
My DMGuild work!
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Also we've, like, already had a few big adventures with Tiamat as the antagonist.
"Is there anything keeping us from checking that place out tonight?" Besides sanity, naturally.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

The Raven Queen takes the title:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... ws/may2010

Voting is still open on the Grudge Match between Meepo and Splug...
I only wish I had retired sooner!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

DocBeard wrote:Also we've, like, already had a few big adventures with Tiamat as the antagonist.
What, no Venger?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Soth, is that really you?