Favourite Dark Lord...

Discussing all things Ravenloft

Does a "what is your favourite Dark Lord" thread complete a Ravenloft message board?

Yes
69%
No
10%
Errr....
15%
What is Ravenloft? (you really came to the wrong place)
5%

Total votes: 78

Pacal
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pacal »

I know that there has been no new posts for a while and that this is almost a dead thread but I'm new and wanted to get my say in on it.
1) Anton Misroi - he is chilling in Dance of the Dead
2) Strahd - it's Strahd that's a good enough reason
3) Ladislav Mircea - i like the potential for both him and this domain. that and vrykolaka rule.
Trevorfrost
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Trevorfrost »

#1 Anton Misroi, he's powerful but not too powerful, he's scary and he rules from the shadows.

#2 Meredoth, he's cold, he just doesn't care, which to me is really damn scary, his absolute apathy about everything except about his work. He's evil in an absolutly unpersonal way. (No matter how good looking, young, old, good or evil he looks at everyone the same.) He looks at people and sees them as nothing more than inefficiancies.

#3 Elaina Faith-hold. I find that people who use their religion as an excuse to commit acts of evil. to be truly despicable. She more than any Darklord I think deserves her cursed place among them..
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."
-John Milton, Paradise Lost
Shadowsworn
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Shadowsworn »

I haven't had my say yet either...

1) Strahd

2) Ivana

3) Tristen

4) Juste

5) Elena
"Death is the great equalizer"

Proof that the Grim Reaper is a communist.
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

:maligno: HA! Maligno is the greatest of all!!! :maligno:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

I don't know how I missed this thread for as long as I did...

It's a toss-up for me between Strahd (purely for his classic appeal, to an extent he IS Ravenloft) and Harkon Lukas, just because of what an utter bastard he can be (okay, I lied, it's the monocle :D ).
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

I'd have to go with Strahd, just because I am a bit of a vampire freak, and I see him as the core of Ravenloft. Next comes Gwidion just because he is shrouded in mystery and he is so frickin powerful.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

you cant have an RL message board without this question.

having written this:

Hazlik
Kharkov
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

1. Azalin: He's an excellent Darklord and very Gothic - scheming and manipulative, he comes the closest to escaping the Demiplane, and he'll never give up.
2. Strahd: He has the charisma and persuasion part of it down pat, convincing even the most skeptical of the justness of his actions... while taking exactly what he wants. Also very good as a commander.
3. Soth: Ravenloft's own version of the Dark Lord of the Sith(icus). An unbeatable powerhouse of military might, although sadly somewhat underused as a memorable villain.
4. Ankhtepot: The classic mummy villain gets a makeover and a backstory.
5. Arijani: Exotic locales and intercultural deities mix with Gothic tradition and a master of illusions.
Last edited by HuManBing on Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fido
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Fido »

The guy from Lamordia (Don't remember his name, really.. >_> ). Because I love Mary Shelley. 8)
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

Azalin, followed closely by Soth and Elena.
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Azalin, Strahd, Soth and Ivana for me, but I haven't decided the order yet! :lol:
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

It's hard to pick ONE. Aside from the fact that EVERYONE loves Azalin and Harkon.

It may be my personal bias towards Mordent, but Wilfred Godefroy. He's one of those villians that not only destroys you, but everything you care for. And then after he's broken you, he adds you to his collection. The Mordentish have good reason to think of him as 'the Devil'.
DamienJ
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by DamienJ »

I would have to say Jaqueline Reneir is my favorite Darklord. I know she usually makes it to the "secondary-favorite's" lists, but I think her domain (and, by extension, herself) is very cool. Her cities remind me alot of real-life St. Petersbrug (Russia), e.g. canals, crumbling-once-beautiful-architecture, and the way they seem to have a soul. If you've been to St. Pete, you'll know what I'm talking about...but it's worth going to see.

Anywho, I want to put Strahd down as my second, but, as somebody mentioned, he's too static. Concept=cool, but he hasn't really done anything since whaking Gundar. Azalin is much better, since he does stuff (I guess the Grand Conjunction counts as "stuff...").
"Listen to them, children of the night! What music they make."
- Bram Stoker, [u]Dracula[/u]
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Wow, this thread is an old one...

I still like Gundar because I can do whatever I want with him.
I still like Soth because of his history, ties to the books that got me into D&D and his take-no-BS and suffer-no-fools attitude.
And I'm still fond of Azalin because he's the key player, the alpha-male of darklords.

Lately I've been enjoying other lords. Elena Faith-hold is a rather tragic hero who just wanted to do the right thing. She seems fun.
I'm growing fonder of Misroi because we at the FoS have been doing so much with him lately.
Samael Hands of Stone
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Samael Hands of Stone »

Lord Soth - Without a doubt one of the most intriguing and appropriate additions to Ravenloft. Sithicus had some real potential to become an important player in the Dread Realms. It's a shame they officially pulled him.

Ivana Boritsi - The black widow angle has always appealed to me. The dark veils the masquerade parties, the treachery, the subterfuge, the poison. I think it was the opening story in Legacies of the Blood section on the Boritsi's that really cemented her as my number 2 fave.

Mallochio - Okay so he's not the DL of Invidia per se, but he should be. I love the idea of this six-fingered-raven-haired despot with a certain immaturity to his character (after all he grew to manhood in like 10 minutes!). The whole Italian prince with a demonic edge makes him a very cool villain.
[/b]
"In life, we all have our El Guapos..."