Elves, drawfs, halflings oh my

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

In 4e it sounds as though the elves are more druidic (which makes more sense to me, really) - so maybe the gnomes can take up the mantle of magicians (assuming they're still in core :roll:).
JinnTolser wrote: As for demihumans, I think RL needs to make up its mind one way or the other. As it is, it seems like they're admitted into the setting grudgingly.
Are there any QtR or other articles on demihumans in Ravenloft's different domains? Seems like good material for a netbook.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Jester of the FoS wrote:Well, as anyone who's read QtR recently knows what I'd do for elves, dwarves and halflings already (and if you haven't SHAME for not looking at our wonderful net rag)
Issue 12 has Races of the Mist: Dwarves and Races of the Mist: Halflings

Races of the Mist: Elves is in either #11 or #13
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

#13, and I'm working on Gnomes for this upcoming one but life kept getting in the way of witting (work, friends and impending marriage)
Isabella wrote:In 4e it sounds as though the elves are more druidic (which makes more sense to me, really) - so maybe the gnomes can take up the mantle of magicians (assuming they're still in core :roll:).
They've all but formally announced no gnomes in 4E and they're adding planetouched (likely tieflings and aasimar if not both as one race) . It sounds like eladrins are going to be taking the wizardy role.
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Gnomes aside, here's a thought - does anyone think that more demihuman npcs and articles would help things? Van Ricten's Arsenal had several, if I recall (not to mention David's long and informative QtR articles :shock:), but they don't seemed to have smoothed over the disconnect between Ravenloft and demihumans for some of the people on this board.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:And this thread explains why I only have humans in my campaigns. :)
Errr... I don't recall reading "OMG! Demihumans make my game UNBEARABLE, UNPLAYABLE and TOTALLY ruin the setting".

Actually, I for one stressed how, IMHO, demihumans MAKE Ravenloft what it is...
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Er... nobody said that anybody said that... >.>
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Gwenfloor »

In my opinion, "demihumans" in Ravenloft are fine as they are, if only there were more official material on them. Other than that, they feel quite fine. In addition, I think that the "nationalities" of demihumans should be spruced up; what makes a Borcan Halfling different than a Darkonese Halfling; or what makes a Valachani Gnome different than a Darkonese Gnome? Sadly, other than Darkon and Sithicus, demihumans (except for Calibans and Half-Vistani) are not touched upon much.
"Deities are no more than mortals with supernatural powers, and thus are capable of making mistakes."
~Alper, Kobold Alchemist in my Ravenloft Campaign
GoldenGoblin
Conspirator
Conspirator
Location: Ivlis Swamp, Barovia Valicia's Cave in a secure shelter

Post by GoldenGoblin »

I think they are fine.

It might be just me but it seemed to me that there are alot in Darkon, but it added to the flavor of Darkon.
Some domains are more insular and don't have em.
The outcast system seems a good way to deal with it perhaps.
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Isabella wrote:Er... nobody said that anybody said that... >.>
Well, Dion's sentence could be read as "See? Demihumans are nothing but trouble. That's why I don't use them". ;)
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

In my opinion, demihumans are just underused in RL. There's never been a concerted effort to create a proper niche for these races. There are no DarkLords or Bogeymen of these races worth mentioning. (a few attempts have been made but they pretty well fell flat. anyway..) Here's couple of ideas.
Perhaps the next grand conjunction should turn Sithicus and Nosos into neighbors and set the Sithican elves and Malus Sceleris into conflict with each other. The border between realms would be transparent so Sceleris would constantly have to look at that big green wilderness across the way and the elves would constantly have to look at the foul industrial waste that is Nosos. A circular wind could constantly circulate the air between the the realms so that the elves would constantly have to smell the foul odors coming from the cesspools of Nosos and Sceleris would constantly sneeze from the pollen coming from Sithicus. This is the sort of thing elves fight over. It would be an even better war than Falcovnia/Darkon, though perhaps not as big.
The second idea isn't complete but it's got a hook. It could be either a DarkLord or a Bogeyman. Anyone who's read the DragonLance series probably knows the significance dwarves assign to their beards. One of the best sequences of the second trilogy is when the dwarven hero Kharas, in an act of civic protest, shaves his beard out of shame that the hill dwarves and the mountain dwarves are about to go to war. Dwarves assign heredity and honor and pride to thier beards. Shaving is a sign of shame. Only criminals and the disinherited are shaved. So imagine a dwarf with his beard not just shaved, but torn away from his face. Sort oif Gimli meets Freddy Krueger. Like I said, It's not really a complete idea. I have no backstory. I just have one deuce of a curse for a dwarf.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D