Ridiculous monster you will never use

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

I've been reminded that it was Chris Nichols who came up with the vampire stain names.
BlackBoxGamer
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by BlackBoxGamer »

I like the Albesadow name, and will definately be using it if I ever us an elven vampire in my RL campaign.

As for the other strains, do you have the names that you guys came up with? I'm interested in potentially using them. :)

BBG
So many differing fancies have mankind,
That they the master-sprites may spell and bind.
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Mangrum wrote:I've been reminded that it was Chris Nichols who came up with the vampire stain names.
So, how exactly do you get nosferatu out of silk?
Garlic juice and mint oil?
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

DeepShadow wrote:In defense of the spirit waif, I like the concept of the ghost of an innocent retaining its goodness in death. I'm planning to use them in my games, but I'd prefer to see this handled without an entire separate stat block.
It's not a bad idea per se, it's just an adventure hook tied with a ghost. So it's just a ghost, plain and simple. Hence the useless nature of the entry.

Pretty much all the filler beasts are "eh" at best. There are the updated from 2E, the updated from classic sources and films and then the new ones that just pad to the page count...
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

An appropriate name must be generated for A dwarven vampire. i've always been a fan of eerything dwarvish.

I have never cared much for Reavers. One can simply use the Sahaguin in their place or the Sea Spawn master when an aboleth can be used.
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

dwarven name for dwarven vampires

Post by Shoon VII »

i was looking at two older Dragon articles last night: "A Dwarven Lexicon" by Sean K. Reynolds in Dragon #278, December 2000, p. 45 and "By Any Other Name: Dwarven Names" by Owen K.C. Stephans in Dragon #261, July 1999, p. 40. After looking at them i played around with some of the material and came up with KURNARDAL.

Kurn=enemy
Ar=blood
Dal=drinker/drinker

if anythone would like to propose alternates, please feel free. maybe this should be another thread?
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Mortavius wrote:I love the name of this creature, but I hate the creature itself: the Scavyt. Cool name, but it's a bloody cavern-dwelling hyena. Nothing more. That, and the Razorback. What's gothic or terrifying about a boar? Even one with some spikes on it's shoulders?

And for the record, even though I agree, it's a ghost, I did use a Spirit Waif to some success in my games. Again, nothing that a normal Geist or Ghost couldn't fill the role of, but at least it was more gothic than a hyena or boar.
I aggree for these two monsters. They make no sense. Absolutely no sense. But I have used a Razorback with success in my games - but it was purely a coincidence!
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Scipio
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal

Post by Scipio »

Once used a razorback in my campaign to get the players chasing some great beast in the wilderness they killed their horses. all they knew is the poor things were eviscerated while the party slept.
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Shoon VII wrote:An appropriate name must be generated for A dwarven vampire. i've always been a fan of eerything dwarvish.

I have never cared much for Reavers. One can simply use the Sahaguin in their place or the Sea Spawn master when an aboleth can be used.
I aggree with these remarks too...
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Monsters that aren;t anything to scream about?

1) The "vanilla" D&D Vampire. Thanks heavens for the Nosferatu, because they're much better suited to the role. None of this, "I drained your energy by punching you!" garbage.

2) Elemental Lich. Why?

3) The entire assortment of demihuman vampires... although I DID use Kharkov's elven lackey once (but I've always wondered- he's purely nocturnal, she's purely diurnal- what do they do, leave stick notes all over the castle?)

4) The "vanilla" werewolf. Loup-Garou are far more terrifying.
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

I thought that the Elemental Lich was a keen idea - just needed some extra details. I thought those touch attacks were fairly neat - but more emphasis should have been made to explain how a wizard could ebcome one - ex: corrupted wizards from Alquin? Liches who, like Azalin, dedicate themselves to the study of Ravenloft and are corrupted, or perhaps liches who spend too much time in the Mists and are physically corrupted by the influence.
Evil Reigns!!!!