Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright: Tuornen Chapter Five

Post by ewancummins »

THE MONASTERY STABLES
RocEter wrote:
Adam wrote:Cormac kneels, panting to look at the hatch.

"Looks like the gobs wanted to keep whatever is down here locked in." He looks up to Foerde. "Could be yer brothers. I'll open the hatch, you have yer weapon ready in case I'm wrong."

So long as Foerde concurs, he waits for the big man to get ready and then opens the trap door.

"Right, lets do this.." Foerde says getting ready to strike at what ever may come out of that trap door if it isn't human.

The light is very poor here*, so neither Cormac nor Foerde can make out more than the rough dimensions and plainly noticeable contents of the pit-like storage space below the trap door; some tools, sacks, and a bundled figure like a tall goblin or a man. The figure sprawls at awkward angle, its head down and its feet up.

* There’s enough light through the open window to see by for a fight, but some details are hidden in shadows unless you can get a torch or lantern or other moveable light source.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

"You there, if you aren't a goblin to be slain speak now or prepare to meet your fate." Foerde says, still ready strike.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:"You there, if you aren't a goblin to be slain speak now or prepare to meet your fate." Foerde says, still ready strike.

A muffled groan rises as an answer.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

"I'm going down there, watch our back." Foerde says to Cormac.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:"I'm going down there, watch our back." Foerde says to Cormac.

A hanging drop into the pit leaves Foerde unhurt and ready to explore the dark, cramped little cellar. The bundled form thrashes about, bumping into the plank-lined walls. Foerde can't see a mouth or eyes on the lumpy head.

It is dark down in the pit. No torch, no lantern, not even a candle; the rainstorm outside has dimmed what sunlight comes through the window.
Opening the big stables door would give Foerde more indirect light. Of course, that might let in things from outside...

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RIVERSIDE
Varrus the Ethical wrote:Riverside
“You fools should have stayed in the walls. We rule the streets out here.”
"You rule the streets? If that's true, then why do you need to hide behind a fat woman? Coward." Roald sneers at Fez.

Fez shrugs.

"You like the fat lady, you bastard? Have her."

He rips his dagger across Meg's throat. The big woman falls forward, blood spurting from the wound!

Fez jumps back into the open door.
His friend with the scarf mask takes off towards a side alley.
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE MANOR

Ranald leans forward in the saddle with one elbow resting on the horn.

"You've all done well. I am pleased. Gunnar, dimiss your men to their rest or whatever duties you have in mind for them. I need to confer with you and our lady Safana, soon. Now, would be best."

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Safana preens a little and smiles, dropping a curtsey to the squire.

"It was an honour to be of service, my Lord! And I will be happy to serve in any way possible. I will give some thought to the matter of hiding the smoke. And of course if you wish to confer with me I am always at your disposal!"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:Safana preens a little and smiles, dropping a curtsey to the squire.

"It was an honour to be of service, my Lord! And I will be happy to serve in any way possible. I will give some thought to the matter of hiding the smoke. And of course if you wish to confer with me I am always at your disposal!"
Ranald grins like a hungry fox.

"Excellent!"

A LITTLE WHILE LATER, IN RANALD'S PARLOR

Squire Ranald reclines in his overstuffed chair, swaddled in his great fur coat.

"I have called you both to this meeting--"
He looks first at Gunnar and then at Safana, before going on,
"-because some of my gatherers found more than just food today. They came across signs of horses, laden wains, boot prints in the soft earth. A host of Men and not Goblins, I think-- but Tuors or Alamiens? Our enemies across the border-- I suspect that they may be in league with the goblins. I've kept things quiet for now, but it's going to get out. There might be panic among the refugees, or false hopes kindled, or both. What do you think we should do?"

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Foerde begins to search storage pit, where there is mostly light, to find things he can use to make a makeshift torch out of.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:Foerde begins to search storage pit, where there is mostly light, to find things he can use to make a makeshift torch out of.

After rummaging about for a bit, Foerde finds a busted old straw broom and a tattered, tar-stained sack that he could make into a torch.
Foerde also finds a jar of ten-penny nails, a solidly-made wooden shovel, and a thick coil of hemp rope

Once his torch has been lit, Foerde is able to get a good look at the other occupant. The groaning figure turns out to be a stout man (certainly not a goblin) with a sack pulled over his face, hands bound at his back, and ankles tied with rope. The prisoner's only clothing is a loose shift of cheap, rough cloth.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

ewancummins wrote:
RocEter wrote:Foerde begins to search storage pit, where there is mostly light, to find things he can use to make a makeshift torch out of.

After rummaging about for a bit, Foerde finds a busted old straw broom and a tattered, tar-stained sack that he could make into a torch.
Foerde also finds a jar of ten-penny nails, a solidly-made wooden shovel, and a thick coil of hemp rope

Once his torch has been lit, Foerde is able to get a good look at the other occupant. The groaning figure turns out to be a stout man (certainly not a goblin) with a sack pulled over his face, hands bound at his back, and ankles tied with rope. The prisoner's only clothing is a loose shift of cheap, rough cloth.
"Got a survivor!" Foerde shouts up to Cormac.

Looking down at the prisoner he moves a little closer. "Try to not move much. I am gonna take that sack off your head, after that I will cut your bindings." He says to him. "Try not make any sudden movements though, I don't want to hurt you."

Kneeling down Foerde, as gently as he can with one hand, removes the sack from the prisoners head. Then he pulls out a knife and cuts the bindings around the wrists and feet.

"Alright now try to not get up or move to fast." He says and takes a step back.
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Roald draws his sword and runs through the open door after Fez. He doesn't so much as spare a glance at Mag Meg.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

ewancummins wrote:CROAKER NORGE
''The Shadow-spawn mistakes a borrowed mummer’s rhyme for my rustic verse, but no matter....’’

The weird woman steps out of the mists in front of Devlin and Filbert, out of sword’s reach. She smiles at Devlin and his fool, stroking her long hair with slender, pale fingers.
‘’Call me Maeve. Or Mab. Or Queen of your Heart’s Desire. But don’t call me Mad, or else I may do something….crazy.’’
Still not feeling at ease with the mad woman few feet away Filbert tries to get the best of it and try to find out more he can about the phrases.

"Excuse my mistake Maeve, will not happen again. May you tell us what these phrases actually mean? And were you the one that made them with the toadstools at the wall of Mott The Shepherd’s barn and told the other phrases to the actor guy?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:
ewancummins wrote:CROAKER NORGE
''The Shadow-spawn mistakes a borrowed mummer’s rhyme for my rustic verse, but no matter....’’

The weird woman steps out of the mists in front of Devlin and Filbert, out of sword’s reach. She smiles at Devlin and his fool, stroking her long hair with slender, pale fingers.
‘’Call me Maeve. Or Mab. Or Queen of your Heart’s Desire. But don’t call me Mad, or else I may do something….crazy.’’
Still not feeling at ease with the mad woman few feet away Filbert tries to get the best of it and try to find out more he can about the phrases.

"Excuse my mistake Maeve, will not happen again. May you tell us what these phrases actually mean? And were you the one that made them with the toadstools at the wall of Mott The Shepherd’s barn and told the other phrases to the actor guy?"

Maeve cocks her head a little to the right and stares intently at Filbert.

''Yes, clever little Shadowspawn, that's right. I called and you came seeking."

She looks up at Devlin for a a moment, then back down to Filbert.

"He looks more like his mother than like his father, doesn't he?"