Birthright Chapter Six

Online roleplaying at the Café
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright Chapter Six

Post by Adam »

Cormac turns, an eyebrow arched. "Aye? Out with it. Crazy's been workin' pretty well fer us so far."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Cormac turns, an eyebrow arched. "Aye? Out with it. Crazy's been workin' pretty well fer us so far."
Dietric takes a swig of water from his skin before answering with a question,
"You ever heard of the Treasure House of the Gnoles? "
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Can't say that I have," Cormac answers, "Not bein' from here, I expect there's quite a bit I don' know about."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"Can't say that I have," Cormac answers, "Not bein' from here, I expect there's quite a bit I don' know about."
Dietric wipes his chapped lips and launches into the longest story he has told in Cormac’s experience:
"These Gnoles, they are fierce and evil beasts, scavengers and murderers all. Even the Orogs keep a distance from them, and Orogs are all stone-crazy. Gnoles eat their own dead, and they eat the living babes of other races, that's what all the stories say. I know they don't scruple to eat grown Men and Goblins, at least. Once, after a skirmish, I heard them laughing in the night as they crept over the field. The other sounds…horrible. In the morning, the dead Men and Goblins were all missing parts; faces, bellies, fingers, ears. I think they took more flesh than arms or gear."
He shudders.

"Sometimes a bandit chief, goblin king, or even a lowland lord will bribe the Gnoles to fight for him. They love all bright gemstones, but emeralds especially.
The way it was told to me, in the deepest, darkest forest of the Five Peaks, the Gnoles keep a great house filled with all their treasure. I don’t think they spend it. They don’t trade much at all, besides fighting and murdering for blood money. Maybe they heap the stuff before the idols of whatever demons of the Shadowlands they serve. Maybe they just like to squat in their dark house and gaze into the glitter of their hoard. I don’t know.
If some clever, bold thieves were to get in and out of that house with sacks of gemstones and jewelry, well…”
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Hmm," he says, "Sounds like a bit of a fairy tale, but that'd probably do quite a bit for us if it was real."

He turns and remounts his horse, turning to head back towards the abbey. "Do you have any idea where the place would be?"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

CROAKER NORGE

Filbert doesn't hesitate even a second, addressing all of them he says:

"Stay here, or come inside as you prefer I will fetch you some water and some food. You are safe now."

The halfling runs inside the farmhouse and says:

"There are few soldiers outside in a really bad shape, they are really exhausted."

Without waiting any answer he gets a pot, fills it with water, gets some bread and gets back outside. He doesn't bother to get glasses for now, he knows that the poor soldiers will have no problem drink the water directly from the pot.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:CROAKER NORGE

Filbert doesn't hesitate even a second, addressing all of them he says:

"Stay here, or come inside as you prefer I will fetch you some water and some food. You are safe now."

The halfling runs inside the farmhouse and says:

"There are few soldiers outside in a really bad shape, they are really exhausted."

Without waiting any answer he gets a pot, fills it with water, gets some bread and gets back outside. He doesn't bother to get glasses for now, he knows that the poor soldiers will have no problem drink the water directly from the pot.

The man with blistered fingers gulps water from the pot.
"Thank you."
After handing back the pot, he snatches at Filbert's clothes, his eyes blurred with sudden tears.
"Don't let them call us cowards, boy!The Alamiens conjured a great fire demon. What can swords and pikes do against that? I can still smell my friends burning."

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

HIGH FOREST TRAIL LEADING TO THE MONASTERY
Adam wrote:"Hmm," he says, "Sounds like a bit of a fairy tale, but that'd probably do quite a bit for us if it was real."

He turns and remounts his horse, turning to head back towards the abbey. "Do you have any idea where the place would be?"
"Yes, I think it might be up in Pulnol. That's a ways up north and east, into the Stonecrowns."

He looks through a break in the trees, gazing out over the saw tooth country of green pine-clad slopes and mist-ringed summits.

"Those are tall mountains, higher than these. Snow on top all year round.
There are giants living back further into those mountains. I've never seen them but a couple of times I've come across their great big footprints in the snow, and once I think I heard them tossing boulders in sport at night.
Most of the Gnoles don't live that far back, though. They dwell in valley country bordering lands held by rival groups of Men and Goblins. I think their treasure house must be someplace near the center of their territory, in the thick woods where it would be well-hid from outsiders."

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ROALD, near the river

Hanging back close to the riverbank, Roald and his men hear splashing oars and soft voices from the nearer waters. A boat glides by, headed downriver, but the pair of men in it don't seem to notice Roald's force where it lurks behind willows and tall reeds.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

TORTHUR

The goose girl and her honking gaggle have nearly passed when a red-robed young man comes riding by in the other direction. He gently reins his horse, leaning to shout at the girl over the clamor of the angry geese.
"Child, have the people hereabouts yet heard the word of the Archprelate, in relation to the war?"

The puzzled girl shakes her head and then bows before the red-robed rider.
"No, Father, I don't think so. I mean, I don't really know what you mean..."

The rider dismounts, shooing geese away by shaking the hem of his robe.

"Then I will tell it here before going on to the next town. Let us call the workmen from their labor."
With the girl's help, the robed man halloes to the peasants working further out. This takes a few minutes, but soon he has gathered a small crowd of dirt-stained farmers, along with one curious goose girl and a mess of clacking geese.

The man retrieves a scroll from his saddlebags, climbs onto the nearby stone fence, and begins to read in a stentorian voice:

"A SOLEMN APPEAL TO THE DUKES OF ALAMIE AND TUORNEN
AND TO ALL THE CLERGY AND LAITY OF HAEYLYN’S CHURCH IN THOSE REALMS

In order to spare the further effusion of blood, to afford the opportunity for a more effective defense against the recent incursions of the Goblins, and to secure a season’s peace for the uninterrupted planting of crops, the Western Imperial Temple of Haelyn formally asks the dukes of Alamie and Tuornen to cease making war against one another. Let the fighting halt at least until the Night of Fire this year has come and gone.

Every man ought to obey his lord’s lawful commands, for that is the Law. But let the nobles obey the dictates of justice, mercy, and reason. Let them hearken to the word of those who speak for Haleyn. As the Book of Law states:
The good ruler watcheth for troubles all round, knowing that two neighbors may oft-times quarrel to the gain of a third.

Of all the troubling events in recent weeks, perhaps the most unsettling has been the invasion of great horde of Goblins, an army which now occupies and oppresses the northern part of Tuornen. Alamie may well be the Goblins’ next target. The wise will recall the sad tale of the loss of Sufhanie. It would be best if Men would stand together against this threat, or at the least not seek to hinder their neighbors who are fighting such wicked foes.

The ongoing dispute between the two duchies stands as a grave matter, one not lightly set aside. Injustices and wrongs are claimed by both sides. But is this bitter war that goes on from generation to generation the best way to resolve the conflict?

Thus do I, Archprelate Rhobher Nichalier , hereby call upon both Duke Carilon and Duke Devlin to withdraw all forces whatever now operating in one another’s lands, back to positions behind their respective borders. Let the fighting stop now. If both parties are willing to seek a just and honorable solution, I will do my utmost to help them discover it."

He looks around to gauge the reactions of the crowd.
Most of the men nod in seeming agreement with him.

The robed man adds, “The Archprelate’s message will be read in all the churches and the towns. You people should tell your neighbors the substance of what I have just told you, and urge them to gather to hear it read again in church.
And if any of you meet any merchants who prefer to follow Lady Luck, well, you ought to ask them to consider well if this destructive war is really so good for business, and indeed if they think goblins would make nice neighbors."

The goose girl bobs with excitement.
"I'm going to tell everyone I know!"

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Gunnar’s war-band in southern Ghonallison
The little band has tramped through the backwoods looking for signs of the mysterious wagons and Men for the better part of the cool and breezy morning. Finding a corduroy road with old mossy logs crumbled under the weight of riders, wagons, and booted marchers, the war-band follows the trail to a little vale dotted with humped old charcoal pits. A camp sits in the middle of the little valley. Moving up a high, thickly wooded ridge, Gunnar and his companions may look down into the valley without being observed by the men in the camp below.

Gunnar counts a dozen canvas tents and a big makeshift corral for mules and horses. No banner flies over any of the tents, but some of the men moving about appear to wear badges of some kind on their gray or dun tabards. To identify the heraldry, Gunnar would have to get Ranald close to the camp, which would surely risk discovery. Indeed, even to get this close the warband has had to move with caution; enemy pickets haven’t climbed the high ridge, but now and then Gunnar or one of the others spies men moving about closer to the base of the ridge, and at other points along the wooded edges of the valley.
Safana inches closer to Gunnar and Ranald.

If we need to get closer, I can make some people invisible. One if they are going seperatly, but I can make everyone within ten feet invisible if they make sure to stay that close...
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Gunnar whispers back to Safana"That would good but how long would this invisibility last if I may ask ? If it will not last that long then if you have the ability make one person invisible for a longer lasting time that would be much better I would say . If at the least making Sir Ranald here invisible for long enough for him to get close enough to read the badges on the men moving about in that camp ."
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Roald watches the boat pass by from his hiding spot. "I wonder what's taking Torthur so long?"
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:TORTHUR

The goose girl and her honking gaggle have nearly passed when a red-robed young man comes riding by in the other direction. He gently reins his horse, leaning to shout at the girl over the clamor of the angry geese.
"Child, have the people hereabouts yet heard the word of the Archprelate, in relation to the war?"

The puzzled girl shakes her head and then bows before the red-robed rider.
"No, Father, I don't think so. I mean, I don't really know what you mean..."

The rider dismounts, shooing geese away by shaking the hem of his robe.

"Then I will tell it here before going on to the next town. Let us call the workmen from their labor."
With the girl's help, the robed man halloes to the peasants working further out. This takes a few minutes, but soon he has gathered a small crowd of dirt-stained farmers, along with one curious goose girl and a mess of clacking geese.

The man retrieves a scroll from his saddlebags, climbs onto the nearby stone fence, and begins to read in a stentorian voice:

"A SOLEMN APPEAL TO THE DUKES OF ALAMIE AND TUORNEN
AND TO ALL THE CLERGY AND LAITY OF HAEYLYN’S CHURCH IN THOSE REALMS

In order to spare the further effusion of blood, to afford the opportunity for a more effective defense against the recent incursions of the Goblins, and to secure a season’s peace for the uninterrupted planting of crops, the Western Imperial Temple of Haelyn formally asks the dukes of Alamie and Tuornen to cease making war against one another. Let the fighting halt at least until the Night of Fire this year has come and gone.

Every man ought to obey his lord’s lawful commands, for that is the Law. But let the nobles obey the dictates of justice, mercy, and reason. Let them hearken to the word of those who speak for Haleyn. As the Book of Law states:
The good ruler watcheth for troubles all round, knowing that two neighbors may oft-times quarrel to the gain of a third.

Of all the troubling events in recent weeks, perhaps the most unsettling has been the invasion of great horde of Goblins, an army which now occupies and oppresses the northern part of Tuornen. Alamie may well be the Goblins’ next target. The wise will recall the sad tale of the loss of Sufhanie. It would be best if Men would stand together against this threat, or at the least not seek to hinder their neighbors who are fighting such wicked foes.

The ongoing dispute between the two duchies stands as a grave matter, one not lightly set aside. Injustices and wrongs are claimed by both sides. But is this bitter war that goes on from generation to generation the best way to resolve the conflict?

Thus do I, Archprelate Rhobher Nichalier , hereby call upon both Duke Carilon and Duke Devlin to withdraw all forces whatever now operating in one another’s lands, back to positions behind their respective borders. Let the fighting stop now. If both parties are willing to seek a just and honorable solution, I will do my utmost to help them discover it."

He looks around to gauge the reactions of the crowd.
Most of the men nod in seeming agreement with him.

The robed man adds, “The Archprelate’s message will be read in all the churches and the towns. You people should tell your neighbors the substance of what I have just told you, and urge them to gather to hear it read again in church.
And if any of you meet any merchants who prefer to follow Lady Luck, well, you ought to ask them to consider well if this destructive war is really so good for business, and indeed if they think goblins would make nice neighbors."

The goose girl bobs with excitement.
"I'm going to tell everyone I know!"

Torthur listens intently to what the red robed effeminate man says. I'll tell this ter Roald when I git back there. He tries remain hidden from them and waits for an opportune moment to leave and return to Roald and the men.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

TORTHUR
tarlyn wrote:

Torthur listens intently to what the red robed effeminate man says. I'll tell this ter Roald when I git back there. He tries remain hidden from them and waits for an opportune moment to leave and return to Roald and the men.

Torthur hides as best he can, but a teenage boy squatting on the opposite side of the road suddenly stands up and begins to shout "Hey, I see a goblin hiding under that hedge!"

The geese scatter as the farm wokers, some carrying hoes and spades, turn round and hasten to investigate....
Last edited by ewancummins on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.