Who would you sentence to the Mists v. 2

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

DeepShadow wrote:
Brandi wrote:Are we looking for Darklord material or just creepy SOBs?
That's my question. The OP could be read as, "who is good DL material," or "who deserves supernatural torture" or even "who would you like to see vanish from the earth/history."
Both, actually (as mentioned in the my first post). I'm sure you've noticed that many of the familiar faces of RL (DL and non-) are based off of familiar material. Alanik Raye=Sherlock Holmes, The Brain is shaping up to be Raye's Moriarty (at least that's implied in the Gazetteer [can't remember which one]).

And I'll add another one: Hannibal Lecter (which I think someone mentioned on the old thread), a psychotic gourmet cannibal. Maybe not DL material, but certainly worthy of terrifying the residents.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Robert (Zombie Guy) Kirkman, he's sick in the head. He could create a non-existent domain that exists only as books that appear from nowhere that comsume people (ooo... now there's an idea). But I would still like his Walking Dead book to continue in our own world (heh).

Brian Michael Bendis and Chris Clairemont for always messing up other peoples work and repeatedly rehashing their old stories over and over with minimal effort for a new hook.

That woman (forget her name) who last week wandered off for the weekend leaving her toddler to find for itself. She deserves it more than anyone right now.

The entire cast of ZOMBIE TALES, just to give me a new angle to work with on the webcomic. I still got lots of ideas, but it'd be fun, lol.

Last (but no means least), Eben and Benny from Two Lumps. Just coz I wanna read the strips.
Swallow your soul!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Brian Michael Bendis and Chris Clairemont for always messing up other peoples work and repeatedly rehashing their old stories over and over with minimal effort for a new hook.
Can we sentence Kevin J. Anderson to the mists for being a talentless hack writer who arsed up TWO perfectly good franchises with his dungbrained semi-literate scrawlings? (Star Wars and X Files)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

HuManBing! He deserves every ounce of supernatural punishment and torture. As a Co darklord in Falkovnia who's curse is: Being a captive of Drakov that returns to life every morning and has to succeed a will save against DC 60 or insult him again.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Tykus wrote:
cure wrote:
jules wrote:How about hitler!
Vlad is already channelling him.
Him and Vlad Tepes.
I'd add in a pinch of Iron Joe too.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

HuManBing wrote: Then we've got the example of Hazlik to show that sometimes, if you're gay, you really can do rather little and end up in Ravenloft...
It might be interesting to flesh out Hazlik's history before he finally commits murder; Gaz I notes that he "created a number of unique spells, unusual magic items, and interesting creatures" and describes his creations as "beautiful and diabolical". Depending on how far he was willing to go in his research, he might've had good Darklord potential before the murder itself. Add to that the thirst for revenge, coupled with what was probably a deep self-loathing in the wake of his forcible outing (and being stigmatized as a "woman" in a highly patriarchal society!), and the DPs may have had an interest in just seeing how hard they could push his buttons.

[I tend to go towards a "DPs aren't so much punishing evil as studying it" theory, which would explain why fellows like Von Kharkov and Harkon Lukas were chosen for darklordship as well-- they have mental wiring that's unusual even by the standards of the fantasy worlds the DPs harvest from...]
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Oh, and back to the topic at hand: the people who thought pimping out an orangutan was a good idea might have a barrel of laughs in the Wildlands....
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

Brandi wrote:Oh, and back to the topic at hand: the people who thought pimping out an orangutan was a good idea might have a barrel of laughs in the Wildlands....
I'm not sure I want to know how you came across that :|

I'd like to add a couple more: Captain Barbosa, a pirate lord of the Caspian Sea, comes to the Caribbean to pretty much usurp Captain Jack Sparrow by leading a mutiny aboard Jack's own ship, leaving him to die, and ends up being cursed for taking cursed Aztec gold from Isla de Muerta.

Then there's Lord Cutler Beckett of the East India Trade Company: Attempts to take over the world (or at least the oceans) by paying off the right people, taking over a supernatural force and using it to destroy the pirates of the world, and given his behavior, more than likely did enough betrayals on his climb to the top to make a yugoloth proud--all in the name of good business.

Sorry, Davey Jones struck me more as a demon lord than darklord although there are some tragic elements to his tale. Davey Jones "do you fear Death?" pacts could be used to great effect with Captain van Reise of the Relentless. :twisted:
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

HuManBing wrote:
Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Brian Michael Bendis and Chris Clairemont for always messing up other peoples work and repeatedly rehashing their old stories over and over with minimal effort for a new hook.
Can we sentence Kevin J. Anderson to the mists for being a talentless hack writer who arsed up TWO perfectly good franchises with his dungbrained semi-literate scrawlings? (Star Wars and X Files)
I don't see why not, consider him kicked into the nearest bank of mists :twisted:
Swallow your soul!
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

How about Karl Rove? He's starting to sound very DarkLordish these days.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brandi wrote:Oh, and back to the topic at hand: the people who thought pimping out an orangutan was a good idea might have a barrel of laughs in the Wildlands....
In such cases[ hope to God there aren't many like this] I fully support the death penalty for the guilty parties.

As far as sending them to some other plane of existence- well, frankly, I hope they burn in Hell.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Manofevil wrote:How about Karl Rove? He's starting to sound very DarkLordish these days.

Only his rapping was truly evil....

Anyhoo, what about a DL who's a political mastermind, but not a ruler? Not like D'Honaire, who uses mesmerism to control people's minds, but something different. This guy is great at manipulating the political currents, factions,etc of his domain. Maybe establish a domain with some passing similiarities to the Roman Republic?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

ewancummins wrote: Anyhoo, what about a DL who's a political mastermind, but not a ruler? Not like D'Honaire, who uses mesmerism to control people's minds, but something different. This guy is great at manipulating the political currents, factions,etc of his domain. Maybe establish a domain with some passing similiarities to the Roman Republic?
Rasputin, of legend at least, partially fits the bill.

Then there is Rupert Murdoch, Conrad Black, and Richard Pearl (whose nickname actually is The Prince of Darkness).
The cure for what ails you
Zettaijin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zettaijin »

Steve Jobs.

Oh sure, Bill Gates fits the megalomaniacal nerd with a superiority complex template well and would be an easy pick, but Jobs adds a layer of self delusion that makes him all that more deserving. Bill is sort of comfortable with his evil now, but Jobs would rather you think of him as a moody artiste who likes meditation and gets baked with his employees on weekends.

He's a nice guy, so long as you forget the ruthless business tactics, the lies, the stealing of his friends' work and money or the fact that he won't even bother reading Fake Steve Jobs' Blog...

That last one is pretty harsh.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I'd say Gates goes before Jobs does.

Apple is still putting out new products for which there is genuine market demand.

Microsoft, on the other hand, is basically finished with the "marketable innovation" stage of its life cycle and is now into the mature company phase where it's just producing, not innovating. When you think that the only reason people get the product is because of market control, AND people these days don't even want the latest product and find ways to circumvent to devolve to XP, that's a bad sign for a company's future growth.