9%
Yawn. 1 corpse.
6%

Total votes: 34

Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Also, there's a difference between seeing brutal stuff in a series of still images and seeing it in motion. I'd've probably found the film utterly revolting if it had not been stylized.

It did make me curious to see the original comics, for what that's worth. And I really enjoyed the soundtrack.
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

:shock: :shock:

Just saw it on downloaded divx :oops: :oops: (still one month till cinemas here in greece, couldn't wait) and I'll let Fixxxer's words speak a great truth...
Fixxxer wrote:Content Editted By Management
I'm not a little bit ashamed. One of the best movies i've seen lately without doubt.
Beauty is in the [i]eye[/i] of the Beholder. Everything else is in its stomach....

I always respected [b]Fixxxer[/b], so I proudly present you [url=http://www.dndarchive.com]his own DnD site[/url]!!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Just remember to support it in the theater, especially if you hope for another one.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

sabbattack wrote:Just saw it on downloaded divx :oops: :oops: (still one month till cinemas here in greece, couldn't wait)
Do you realize that what you are promoting is theft of copyrighted material?

This is a serious mistake here on this board.

Last and only warning warning.

Joël
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

Yes, I'm fully aware of what I've said and that it is both unethical and illegal. I'm also aware that I'll see the movie twice in the cinemas and I've preoredered the DVD to get it on special edition on arrival.

I don't even imply that divxs and p2p networks are a "clever" way of distribution, but, let's face it, it's reality wether we like it or not. The question lies in what you said, "promotion" and how everyone deals with them. If you feel I'm promoting their use, then it was my mistake and i'm sorry. I don't want their promotion, BUT I fight for their sustenance. Anyway, we reached a highly inappropriate deabate for this board, and I'll rest the subject here.
Beauty is in the [i]eye[/i] of the Beholder. Everything else is in its stomach....

I always respected [b]Fixxxer[/b], so I proudly present you [url=http://www.dndarchive.com]his own DnD site[/url]!!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Thanks for your understanding. We just do not want to see anything here that is against the author's or the publisher's right, weither a movie, a song or a book.

Joël
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi all,
I saw sincity last night, I did not know anything at all about frank miller or his comics, so i was rather (pleasantly) surprised by this movie. I thought the stylized style was very impressive.

I could not follow some bits however, but perhaps that will be made more clear in the sequels. What sort of character was elijah wood? why did he enjoy eating people, why did he hang out at the roark farm? what did dwight do before he did his stuff in his story line, what was his previous life? what was the role of josh hartnett as way too pretty hitman? Is this explained in the comics.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed myself immensely. Especially the story of marv and goldie. I thought the violence was funny in all its brutality. (the horrible numbing effect of too many movies i guess)

Jennifer
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Jennifer wrote:What sort of character was elijah wood?
A lunatic.
why did he enjoy eating people, why did he hang out at the roark farm?
The old Roark clergyman explained this, I thought.
what did dwight do before he did his stuff in his story line, what was his previous life? what was the role of josh hartnett as way too pretty hitman? Is this explained in the comics.
Sorta.
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi cole,
your short answers leave me only with more questions.
What sort of character was elijah wood?
A lunatic.
Yes, I could tell, but why? why did he go mad, where did he get the outrageous nails (I would kill for nails like that. And not even elijah wood, just anyone really, and then paint them all red, my nails always break off.)
why did he enjoy eating people, why did he hang out at the roark farm?
The old Roark clergyman explained this, I thought.
yes well, the clervyman said, because it made elijah feel good, that is of course very nice, but as marv said, eating people and then using your home taxydermy set on them is pretty weird, even if it makes you feel good.
Why did the clergyman go along with this. Corruption is one thing, but protecting a known murderer, cannibalist and probably a taxydermist operating without a permit, is something else again.
what did dwight do before he did his stuff in his story line, what was his previous life? what was the role of josh hartnett as way too pretty hitman? Is this explained in the comics.
Sorta.
how!? tell me all.

jennifer
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Yes, I could tell, but why? why did he go mad, where did he get the outrageous nails (I would kill for nails like that. And not even elijah wood, just anyone really, and then paint them all red, my nails always break off.)
Why not?

yes well, the clervyman said, because it made elijah feel good, that is of course very nice, but as marv said, eating people and then using your home taxydermy set on them is pretty weird, even if it makes you feel good.
Welcome to Sin City.
Why did the clergyman go along with this. Corruption is one thing, but protecting a known murderer, cannibalist and probably a taxydermist operating without a permit, is something else again.
Welcome to Sin City.
how!? tell me all.
Dwight was... Dwight. His interaction with the Old Town ladies pretty well sums him up.

Hartnett? Think of him as part of the local color.
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Don't forget that the Bisghop also admitted to participating in the cannibalism. As well, I imagine that there was something going on between him and Kevin. Which would, ironically be almost acceptable, given the adulthood of both parties.
Evil Reigns!!!!
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

Yes, not minding the fact that I can't even imagine a romantic date with dinner between them. What to other realities would be a homosexual realtionship with a little sprinkle of incest fantasies (Roark thinking of him as his "son" and all) is turned into a gorefest with cannibalism and sick, demented, perverted relationship between those two...

Don't you just LOVE Frank Miller?

I do (not in Roark's way, of course :P )

Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Jennifer wrote:What sort of character was elijah wood? why did he enjoy eating people, why did he hang out at the roark farm?
I agree with Cole that Kevin was a lunatic, but he enjoyed eating people because it provided him with some sort of pseudo-religious feeling. I don't remember the specific details from the movie, but Bishop Roark was explaining it to Marv as some form of getting closer to God. By consuming the people, they would taste heaven and know happiness. I believe that Bishop Roark (if he believed this to be true or not) used this as his reason for joining Kevin in his cannabalistic feasts...
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

When I saw it, I thought the Marv/Goldie story was too long. The Old Town part was fantastic, as was the Yellow Bastard part (I didn't realise it was Nick Stahl, he was so good looking in Carnivale!).
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:He enjoyed eating people because it provided him with some sort of pseudo-religious feeling. I don't remember the specific details from the movie, but Bishop Roark was explaining it to Marv as some form of getting closer to God.
As I recall, he said that when Kevin ate their bodies, he was eating their souls.

I guess that means that the dog, which ate Kevin, has all of their souls.
Evil Reigns!!!!