Philosophy of Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
eocine
Conspirator
Conspirator
Location: somewhere where he ponders whether or not people know what 'crapulence' means.

Post by eocine »

I've been enjoying reading this thread, and I was intrigued by your own insights, Rotipher. One idea that's been going through my head this weekend is that Ravenloft in some ways is like the Catholic concept of Purgatory. The way you describe Soth's case certainly would fit into that kind of view.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

I'm not sure if Purgatory is the best analogy, because it would imply an awfully forgiving cosmological framework if the darklords represent the kinds of evildoers that routinely get a second chance! Purgatory is supposed to be for minor offenders, not the worst of the worst; if people who've committed darklord-grade offenses are still given an "out", then wouldn't Hell (or whatever your campaign's equivalent might be) wind up almost empty? Most villains' offenses aren't as warped as the darklords, and a cosmology where offenses have to be "Acts of Ultimate Darkness" even to condemn you to Purgatory (let alone damnation) isn't consistent with the stricter-than-D&D-average moral standards of the Ravenloft setting, itself.

OTOH, if you assume that there's something even worse than ordinary damnation in your cosmology -- a sub-Hell that makes the Lower Planes look pleasent by comparison, perhaps, or automatic annihilation for souls whose offenses sicken even the gods of Evil -- then a place like Ravenloft would make a suitable "test site" to find out which of the worst souls are irredeemable enough to merit such an extreme punishment. Or, if the demiplane were established out of self-interest by the powers of evil IYC, it could provide a means of sorting the foulest of all human souls from the masses of moderately-Evil ones, so the former can be transformed into the most powerful fiends or used in some overarching scheme we don't know about. The latter might actually be more plausible, since it seems the DPs aren't above rigging the odds in favor of darklords' choosing Evil in the end; their machinations in "Black Roses", in this context, helped to maintain Soth's depression and bitterness, and kept him from recalling how rewarding it'd been to be an honorable figure of heroism.
Willowhugger
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Willowhugger »

Soth is an interesting case actually. If we except "Dragons of a Vanished Moon" to be canon then when Soth returned to Krynn, he ended up refusing to ever aid the Queen of Darkness again. While there's question that he's irredeemable...essentially from an RL view after choosing once more to repudiate his crimes he decided to give up on Evil.