15th Anniversary of the Book of Souls Netbook!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: 15th Anniversary of the Book of Souls Netbook!

Post by The Giamarga »

Sure . Many of the cards are sloppily designed. But some have potential and some are plain awesome.

Hoelgar is also mentioned in Bleak House, so he's probably one of the authors creations. And what's written there fits with the card. But the background of having killed a brood of gold dragons, and the curse of the golden eyed youth with the silver sword is only of the card.

I'd love to find out who made some of those NPCs on the cards, and maybe a bit more of their background: Hoelgar, Killeen the Spy, the two psionicists ( a dwarf and an elf from Greyhawk, Dural of the Iron Hills & Vadarin), Mazrikoth, Brindletop the gnome, the three paladin brothers and other castle Bloodmere NPCs.
VIEW CONTENT:
A very abscure NPC would be the Dwarven psionicist Dural of the Iron Hills from a tribe of psionic dwarves from Greyhawk. He is hunting the evil elven telepath Vadarin, who hides in Borca. Dural's two sons are still in Greyhawk searching for him (all from the Ravenloft TSR 1993 Trading Cards)

Another interesting card is the evil Dwarven psion Mortos, who studies psychometabolism to offset his height disadvantage. This is not explicitly a Ravenloft card, but I can very much see him coming there.

Yet another two cards are Brindletop a gnome clairsentient and his custom psionic item Brindletople's Time Bomb both again explicitly Ravenloft cards.
As for obscurity: someone included the Bloodknife in VRA...
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Bleak House is the source of Hoelgar's appearance in Gaz II. The fact that he also appears on a card is essentially coincidental.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

The Giamarga wrote:
Ryan Naylor wrote:So if there’s anyone out there from Paizo: take me back! I’m sorry!
Mangrum wrote:today Johnson's gone on to write a string of novels and F. Wesley Schneider is the Editor-in-Chief at Paizo.
If my lasting legacy is ultimately that of the obscure guy who never quite made it himself but helped shove a "couple 'a talented kids" into the limelight, I'm good with that.
I think you guys should try getting back into the RPG business asap. Paizo and the current PF 3PP market are probably more easy ways into get into RP publishing then ever before.

Yes, Paizo RPG Superstar is closed for you as you have been pros, but there's lot's of other openings.
I wanted to come back to this. Here's Paizo's RPG Superstar rules
Anyone who has been employed full-time as a designer for a game company is ineligible. Anyone with a cover credit on a hardcover RPG book is ineligible. Anyone who has a design credit in 3 or more of Paizo's Pathfinder products is ineligible. The top eight finalists of all previous RPG Superstar contests are ineligible.
So maybe some of you guys are eligible too? Only HC cover (i.e. on the actual cover) credits or full time employment as a designer count. Round 1 is still open afaik...

Also there's a new adventure contest Valhalla Calling by Wolfgang Baur's Kobold Press, set of course in Wolfgang's increasingly cool Midgard campaign setting. Send him a pitch until Dec 20.

Or how about starting your own thing as publishers? This post has amazing advice in it on 3PP publishing/writing for PFPRPG.

Or you can maybe simply pitch something to Paizo. Mike Shel got in that way i think. He's the author of an all time favorite Dungeon mag adventure, and now doing the Irrisen book.

Why not shoot Wes a mail and see what develops?
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Chris,

What/who are the Basilisk and the Lizard in eastern Falkovnia?

Thanx.
The cure for what ails you
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Kobolds who oppose Drakov's forces.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Ryan Naylor wrote:Kobolds who oppose Drakov's forces.
Yes, the Gaz tells us that much.

But what is the backstory, class, goals, motives, and strategy of the Baslisk? And what is his relation to the Lizard?
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

I keep finding curious references to the Undertaker in respect to Darkon.

For example, from the author's notes to Gaz II, "I think Chris pointed out I made no mention of the Baron of Il Aluk, who used to be one step down from Azalin, or the Undertaker, so I created Marasyk and Jadis. "

Or equally, from VRA p. 50, "Anamnesis, the first Undertaker of Darkon".

Now, I do know about an undertaker in Il Aluk:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Amo_Pesadilla

But he hardly seems to be the Undertaker. Can anyone shed light on this?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

By his name "Anamnesis" = memory of past event or person, I would assume they were the imaginary pre-Azalin Darkon rulers of false history.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

The Gaz says that undertakers or "vespillo" (sp?) are respected and important members of the community or somesuch. Are you sure The Undertaker is a specific person? I thought that note just meant that he was missing an undertaker, which they'd established as important, so he should add one.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Undertakers are vespillo; there's not just one.

They make sure the dead stay dead in Darkon. Every town (or rather, graveyard) has one.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

With respect to Nova Vaasa and Hazlan as they appear in the Gaz, is the head of the Church of the Lawbringer deliberately attempting to precipitate a schism that would see the Hazlani branch attempt to break away and that would serve as the pretext for mounting a state invasion that is intended to purge from Hazlan its leader and his arcane magic, as well as to whip the current Bolshinik whelp into a worthy leader of a Greater Nova Vaasa?
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

The Undertaker of Il Aluk originated as a concept in Forged of Darkness.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Chris Nichols from a thread long ago: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... 5&start=30
Heh heh heh...

Chris Nichols
(Knows the secrets of the Basilisk and the Lizard... but ain't telling)
Chris, could you please share the secret with us now?
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

cure wrote:Chris, could you please share the secret with us now?
Unfortunately, we lost touch with Chris a while back and I haven't seen him active on these boards for some time. I assume he's unaware of this thread.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

In the 2ed Requiem the residences of post-apocalypse Il Aluk were undead of a wide variety of sorts, including liches, with the particular type being something of a function of character class.

In the 3ed Gazetteer take on Necropolis and the Slain the types of undead were scaled by to skeleton, zombie, shadow, ghoul, and wight. Was this simply a question of space? Or was there some reasoning to the effect that there should not be Necropolitian Liches, Necropolitan Vampires, and Necropolitian Wraiths? Note that at least one lich is described as arising from the Requiem: Vice-Chancellor August Montalva.