Curse of Strahd: Opinions?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Dreamakuma
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Curse of Strahd: Opinions?

Post by Dreamakuma »

In chapter 2, Page 39, The Mad Mage of Mount Baratok.
VIEW CONTENT:
Mordenkainen has gone mad and lost his spellbook and staff after confronting Strahd. He cast a mind blank spell on himself.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Okaaaay, another thing that I'll change. Mordenkainen is way more powerful than Strahd, he's one of the most powerful wizards in the multiverse. CR12 archmage? LoL.
He should at the very least have legendary actions and legendary resistances.

I'll change it to a non-epic level wizard, the sole survivor from an ill-fated attack on Strahd.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

I'm having to order a new copy as mine is beginning to have problems with the spine of the book. Using it last night to look up some information during the vampire spawn encounter caused it to pop loudly and I could feel it in my hand as it shifted. Aside from that, which can happen, the book was in really good condition.
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

alhoon wrote:I'll change it to a non-epic level wizard, the sole survivor from an ill-fated attack on Strahd.
If he's apparently gone mad, you could always have him be a non-epic level wizard who thinks he's Mordenkainen.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Hazgarn wrote:
alhoon wrote:I'll change it to a non-epic level wizard, the sole survivor from an ill-fated attack on Strahd.
If he's apparently gone mad, you could always have him be a non-epic level wizard who thinks he's Mordenkainen.
Where's the like button?! :)
Thanks.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:
Hazgarn wrote:
Where's the like button?! :)
Thanks.
Here, you go, click on this until it works:
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Dreamakuma
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Dreamakuma »

Some of the things I'm doing to run CoS:
1. Castles and Crusades, I like the rules and converting 5e and 2e to C&C is easy as pie.
2. Using Domains of Dread's powers checks and fear, horror & madness checks. Maybe a PC could become a successor to Strahd.
3. Definitely use gazetteer 1 to intermingle with CoS
4. 50% of the population will have souls and I won't mention reincarnation one bit till Tatyana or Ireena. They need to be special and not explained. Those that are soulless could be agents of Strahd or possible monstrous threats. I feel like 90% is too much.
5. Drop the shadowfell entirely.
6. Borrow Hazgarn's idea for mordenkainen. Brilliant idea dude! :D
7. Put in an undead silver dragon skeleton in the castle.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

If I may ask, why not use 5e horror rules (DMG + Out of the Abyss)?
My DMGuild work!
Dreamakuma
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Dreamakuma »

Partly because I don't own 5e yet :lol: . I've played 5e and enjoy it, but leave DMing 5e to another person in my group. That DM isn't a big ravenloft fan however. CoS is the first 5e book I've bought. :D

I'm a big OSR fan, and have run classic modules using retroclones and old school style games like Labyrinth Lord, Dungeon Crawl Classics, and Castles & Crusades. C&C is great for converting AD&D 1st and 2nd edition and by the looks of things, very compatible with 5e. However C&C's fear rules are kinda weak compared to domains of dread. So I'll swap them wholesale.
I figure using the mixture of those three books will add a spooky twist to some old school fun.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Well, 5e is free. The rules for madness are in the SRD I think, and expansion of those rules is in the also free Out of the Abyss DM's supplementary book.
My DMGuild work!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Anyone catch the Vecna reference yet?
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

alhoon wrote:Okaaaay, another thing that I'll change. Mordenkainen is way more powerful than Strahd, he's one of the most powerful wizards in the multiverse. CR12 archmage? LoL.
He should at the very least have legendary actions and legendary resistances.

I'll change it to a non-epic level wizard, the sole survivor from an ill-fated attack on Strahd.

Nowhere has it ever been said that he is one of the most powerful in the multiverse. He was very strong for Greyhawk, moderate power for Forgotten Realms, the planes, etc. Some of the Circle of Eight were as low as 12th level if I remember correctly. Mordenkainen is (in)famous, that does not necessarily equate to actual power. He had a lot of connections and allies, not to mention a personal army to back up his ne in Greyhawk.
IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

Personally I read this adventure with a very specific head cannon. The Time of Unparalleled Darkness occurred on schedule and almost everyone in Ravenloft managed to make it out in some form (actual escape or death being the most common). It was such a complete collapse that the Dark Powers almost ceased to exist, but as it turns out their favorite plaything, Strahd, rather than try to escape made one more grand attempt to claim Tatanya before everything went to hell. He failed of course, and the DPs were able to hold onto Barovia. In the chaos reality got a soft reboot and bits and pieces of the old reality survive, bleeding through into "new" Barovia. some souls tied tightly to the demi-plane were drawn back in and the Dark Powers decided to make escape even harder by populating the world with mostly empty shells and never, ever, letting go of the souls of the departed who actually had them (hey you never know when you'll need to reincarnate someone). In essence they created a stronger, but smaller prison. They may attempt to expand, but for the time being they are so weak from TToUD that they don't dare try.
"...Well that just happened." - Nora, upon failing her first powers check.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:Anyone catch the Vecna reference yet?
Yeap
My DMGuild work!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Where is it? I've not found it.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005