The Halls of Medeia - Chapter 1

Online roleplaying at the Café
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Halls of Medeia - Chapter 1

Post by Ail »

"I wouldn't exactly say friend", Frances says curtly.
"He just irritated me with his passivity, and I stood for him a few times. "
"It annoyed me that he was being bullied and did nothing to make a stand, to defend himself."
"But I'm sure you want to ask me something about him..." she leaves the question dangling.

-----------------------

"It's fine, George, but I don't feel like reading now. Tell me more about this student that died, then. What happened, what is intriguing you?"
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

"For the most part I wanted to see whether you needed to talk to anyone. Everyone is distraught over the recent events, and for anyone who had been a friend to our missing classmates must feel even worse."

Niles pauses for a moment before adding, "Gribble did react the last time others bullied him - he said he had friends to protect him. Do you know whom he was referring to?"
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

When Niles speaks, Frances' face changes a little.

"I'm not certain", she says. She seems to have more to say. "I think there is something going on among the students, but I'm not sure what."

There is something that annoys her, but although she doesn't say what it is, one of the other girls chimes in

"Frances thinks there is a secret society in campus", she says. And the other adds
"for rich men only", eyeing Frances sideways.

"Shut up you two!", Frances bursts. "If you're not going to support me, at least don't mock me".
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ail wrote:
-----------------------

"It's fine, George, but I don't feel like reading now. Tell me more about this student that died, then. What happened, what is intriguing you?"

"Well. He weren't killed by no animal from roun these parts, thass fer sure. No animal does them kinna wounds an is gory like that. An lotsa weird things goin on aroun ere thus far this semester. I ain never been ter school but them events seem more than the usual run o tha mill events ere. An I think is amulet or medallion were important fer some reason. Too bad I dun know what it means n that I can't no get a good close look at it."

He pauses a moment, in thought.

"An the teachers seem ter know more or know somethin thay aint telled us students. One o them Miss Foxes acted right strange towards me and she gots a real bad temper let me tells ye."
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

"This seems odd... Hold on Oliver. Let me try to signal them that we are here!"

Christine looks over the darkened camp through the very dim light of her lantern. While she is with Oliver she is not scared and it is late, but why were there no guards in camp that night. She lets out a bird call she was taught to use to signal her arrival when she visited her gypsy family in the past.
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

"It is possible," says Niles seriously. He thinks of the medallion Basil had been wearing without mentioning it aloud.

"There are always circles that form among students of similar backgrounds; it would not be farfetched for one to adopt a veil of secrecy to add to the impression of exclusivity." Here Niles addresses the other girls, attempting to persuade them that whether Frances is correct or not, she is not a fantasist.

At the same time, he attempts to recall wealthy male students he knows well. One of them might have been approached by the society, if it does exist. Perhaps Oliver or Benedict?
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Niles recalls what he knows about Oliver: he is the adventurous kind of guy, maybe he has had explorers in his family? Bennedict is shifty and crafty. He's more likely to have wealthy parents. The obvious examples of privileged kids that he has met already, and remembers off-hand, are both in George's and Christine's class: Leander Alford and Georgina Sargant.

But recalling honestly what he knows about all of these, Niles has to admit it is not much and he can't even be sure of their social status.

The other girls take Niles seriously, but one of them adds:

"That may be, father, but Georgina here is miffed because she's no part of it..."

"I told you I don't know details yet, Dorothea, it's just a hunch!"

====================================================================

"Not an animal? But then at first sight it would look like animal? What was it like, George, can you tell me the details?"

=================================================================

Christine whistles her gypsy call, waiting for one or two minutes for a reply. At length she hears a hoot and her heart jumps, thinking that someone else approaches. But then notices that it is just an owl. Oliver observes in silence, but after 3 minutes pass without answer he says:

"Maybe we should approach more and look inside? This seems to be empty!"
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Not an animal? But then at first sight it would look like animal? What was it like, George, can you tell me the details?"
George closes his eyes and at his best, tries to remember the exact wounds and relates to Alma what he saw.

"Yeah, thass pretty much it. I don't think no animal made them wounds."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

tarlyn wrote:
George closes his eyes and at his best, tries to remember the exact wounds and relates to Alma what he saw.

Her eyes grow wide as he tells her the details.

"Could it have been a werewolf, George?"
She sounds almost excited. Whether by fear or interest, George can not know.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

tarlyn wrote:
"An the teachers seem ter know more or know somethin thay aint telled us students. One o them Miss Foxes acted right strange towards me and she gots a real bad temper let me tells ye."

She vaguely nods. "I don't know, reminds me of some ghosts I've met, some old lords all stately and self-important. But you know, all things considered, we don't spend much time in this life, let alone this school. Don't worry too much."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ail wrote:
tarlyn wrote:

Her eyes grow wide as he tells her the details.

"Could it have been a werewolf, George?"
She sounds almost excited. Whether by fear or interest, George can not know.
George frowns, thinking about that comment. Could it really be that simple?, he pondered. He thinks back at the wounds again. He presumes that a werewolf would have larger claw marks than a wolf or bear. In fact it would probably be a more savage attack than a wolf or bear might even do. He gets a little excited at the thought of it being a werewolf as well. Now, why didn't I think of that meself?, he muses.

"A werewolf, you say? I don't know about you, but that idea really excites me for some reason. I don't know why I didn't think of that afore actually. Hey, " he stands up slowly, trying to hide his excitement, "Do you wants ter go look in the library for information on werewolves?" His history study was already forgotten.

"Do ya think yer granny or ghost friends know anything about werewolves they kin tell us? Do you know anyone who might be able to give us some information on werewolves?"
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

"Georgina Sargant?" asked Niles, curious as to how the girl may be involved.

As one of the other students is responding, Niles sees a student at a nearby table getting up as if to leave early and recognizes him as George.

Not again, surely?, he thinks, remembering how George was reprimanded for attempting to leave the dining hall before the other students.

"Excuse me for a moment, please." Niles asks the others at the table apologetically before hastening to the other table.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

George's sudden outburst leaves Alma momentarily frozen. She starts with a
"Well, it was just an..."
when the arrival of Niles to the room leaves her stuck in the middle of the phrase.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

George has stood up slowly. Thinking twice, he sits back down, not wanting to have another stupid confrontation with the Principal and her sister. As well, he sees Niles heading his way and sighs.

"Sorry Alma, " he looks at Niles as the father is now at their table. "I wasn't goin ter go anywhere. The library is closed. I ain't goin nowhere Father, so ye kin go back to whomever you were talkin or lecturin. Unless it's against tha rules fer boys ter have conversations with girls, father."

His tone is polite and cordial, nothing more.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Christine scans her vision around the camp looking for a time before answering Oliver. It did not make any sense to her and clear unease spread over her features and movements. There should have been some sign of movement or even life at the camp. Someone should have been there to answer her call. Did this tribe of her kin truly do things so differently? It made no sense to her. And now that she was here with Oliver they were not exactly silent in their approach. Why hadn't they been spotted by the sentries assigned to watch the school grounds.

"Then we should approach with care. Something feels wrong Oliver. This camp is far too silent and no guard has met us. They would only abandon their camp if they had to. Unless there is some reason still obscure to me, I doubt it is that they are all just heavy sleepers. We should go to the first door and knock. I hope I am wrong and they just sleep in their beds."