Jester's 4e Ravenloft Pamphlet

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Little Raven
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by The Little Raven »

Jester of the FoS wrote:Does it suck that badly? :(
You know I would have provided feedback already, but I've been jumping through hoops just to get this account created... but now that I've got it, here goes.

This is a cross-post from RPG.NET, where I gave some suggestions on a Sanity system, with some inspiration from your madness system. Here's my writeup.
Me wrote:How I'd handle sanity is to give players a Sanity score with a range of 0-20. It would be setup similar to Concordance for artifacts. For certain acts, you would suffer Sanity loss, and some creatures could have attacks that target Will/Fortitude that deal damage to your Sanity rating (for example, doing 1d6 + ability modifier psychic damage, and reducing Sanity by 1). Certain events (like gaining a level, certain victories, resisting/recovering from madness, DM's fiat) give you back Sanity. Word of warning, this is kinda a death spiral system, as the penalties stack on top of eachother, just making it worse and worse as you go along.

== Sanity ==

Score --- Mental State
16-20 --- Sane
12-15 --- Troubled
5-11 ----- Disturbed
1-4 ------- Unsound
0 ---------- Insane

Sane: You are in a normal state of mind. You suffer no ill effects.
Troubled: Your grip on reality isn't as strong as it once was. Whenever you take psychic damage, you take an additional +1 point of damage per tier of the attacker.
Disturbed: You are beginning to succumb to your weakness of mind. In addition to the effects of being troubled, you suffer a -1 penalty to saving throws to throw off any effect with the Psychic keyword.
Unsound: You are spiraling downward into insanity. In addition to the effects of being troubled and disturbed, you suffer from madness (see below).
Insane: You are bug-frak crazy. In addition to the effects of being troubled, disturbed, and unsound, you suffer a -2 penalty to Insight checks for madness progression.

== Madness ==

Madness Track: Every madness has at least three states, arrayed on a a row of effects called the madness track: cured (the target is no longer affected), the madness’s initial effect, and the madness’s final state.
- Initial Unsound Effect: When you become unsound, you suffer the madness’s initial effect.
- Moving on the Madness Track: As the madness progresses, you might get worse, moving on the track toward the final state, or you might improve until you are cured. Some effects continue until you are cured, persisting regardless of where you are on the disease’s track, until you improve to the cured state. Other effects end when you move to a better or worse state on the track.

Madness Progression: Once you’re mad, make an Insight check after each extended rest to see if you improve, worsen, or maintain your current condition. Madness specifies three target Insight DCs: the highest DC to improve, a moderate DC to maintain, and a lower DC to worsen. Other common events that trigger an Insight check for madness progression include Sanity loss and special monster powers.
- Improve: When your condition improves, you regain a point of Sanity. If improvement gives you a Sanity score of 5 or higher, and you have reached the cured position on the madness track, you recover entirely. If one of these conditions is not met, you return to the initial effect of the madness.
Everyone starts with a Sanity score of 20, instead of favoring one set of classes over another (mental ability scores over physical), but some classes might have special feats available to them that interact with the Sanity/Madness system (like classes of the Divine power source having a "Higher Purpose" feat that allows them to resist Sanity loss/onset of Madness). It's also a "death spiral" system, as the effects stack and get worse as you become less sane.

More feedback to come as I put it together. Great job so far!

edited for language, removed f-bomb - Jester
...though I'm trapped in darkness, still I reach out for the stars...
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

The Little Raven wrote:You know I would have provided feedback already, but I've been jumping through hoops just to get this account created... but now that I've got it, here goes.
I'm happy you finally got logged on. The technical problems are still causing headaches and we may experience some increased spamming as a result...
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Jester, could you sticky this thread? It really is too important to be lost in the Mists of old threads. :wink:
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Jester of the FoS

I might. When I next get around to revising and updating the player's guide (lotsa errors to correct there) but too busy with school to do it now.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Fair enough and thank you. :) I'm only beginning to slowly look at it now; my games reading has fallen far behind.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

I have to say Jester, good stuff. You really seemed to have embraised 4th edition design philosophy and game mechanics. I'm REALLY impressed and will be using these rules as you wrote them almost completely, though I am curious what they are going to do in October.
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

I seriously doubt that the dragon articles will be as in depth as Jester has made his rules. I could be wrong of course, but really the new designers for WOTC seem to be less concerned with fluff and more concerned with combat. I dig fourth ed, but I have noticed a very large difference in how the material is presented.
Vote Cthulhu! At least then we know we are going to get screwed.
Jester of the FoS

I'll have the next small update of the Player's Guide finished in the next couple days. Mostly some minor tweaks of the Pistoleer and Arcanist along with an extra magical armour.

It's a continual work-in-progress.

And as always, let me know if you see any typos, grammatical errors, or awkward sentences. I'm terrible at proofing my own stuff. Plus I'm using Open Office who's spellchecker insists on not working half the time.
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

Desertrising wrote:I seriously doubt that the dragon articles will be as in depth as Jester has made his rules. I could be wrong of course, but really the new designers for WOTC seem to be less concerned with fluff and more concerned with combat. I dig fourth ed, but I have noticed a very large difference in how the material is presented.
Oh, I have almost no doubt, again, I'm curious. I don't put much stock in doing Ravenloft justice from the Dragon team particurally. I'm most excited to just see the setting in print again... even if they bastardize it.

I'll be using Jester's rules unless WotC amazes me, which I doubt they will do in this case.

I have no doubt however whatever they release will be decent enough to add to my own Ravenloft campaign I am plotting out to start in October.
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

I finally had the time to read through the rules Jester wrote and I have to say Job well done! I found it was a pretty solid rules set and am looking forward to seeing how he improves them.

I am also in agreement with Dr Moreau that I am excited just to see the old setting get some airtime even if they screw with it too much. I think that in order to keep Ravenloft alive (or undead?) we need an influx of new fans to supplement the ones we loose over time. I know I plan to keep up on Wotc discussions about the new articles and will try to send people over to these boards (unless of course I hear a large outcry against such actions.)

However I have drifted way off tangent,

Good job Jester, please keep it coming.
Jester of the FoS

Right now I'm trying to think of new magic items (since I can use the Adventurer's Vault as reference). But someone on the WotC board had the good idea of a Mist pact for Warlocks. But that's more long-term.

I could also do a micro-class like the spellscarred in the Realms. Possibly mist-touched or the like.
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

A mist touched class could be real nice. As far as magic items, one of the things I really like about 4th Ed is the way magic items work now. Talk about a way to add flavor.

How about a sword that sucks the life force from the character to activate the daily ability (loose one healing surge).

That might be kind of cool.
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

I obviously have no way of proving this but I was just commenting the other day to a friend of mine that if I was going to run a new Ravenloft game we needed a mist-pack Warlock.

If Jester had any interest in some help I'd love to work on something like that, Warlock is defintly my favorite 4e class (right ahead of Paladin).
Jester of the FoS

Always interested in help. Anything to make this more of a community project.

The main thing a Mist-pact needs is new powers. Mostly ideas at this point since they can be assigned a comparative level later.
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

Well each of the Warlock "Paths" uses either Intelligence, Constitution, or Charisma for modifers on the abilities, one of the first thing to do is probably to pick one of those three that is appropriate, I'd advise against moving into another stat as someone playing a Warlock already has to worry about three scores being high if they want to mix any powers from other pacts (which they are supposed to be able to do).

But we also may want to move this to another thread of some kind. Unless you of course wanted to communicate this is any other less "on the boards" way.