Help with Power Checks

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Help with Power Checks

Post by Jakob »

Hi to all,

Last session, one of my PC... Well, she failed her first Powers Check.

This is the PC (let me dig her description from an old thread...):
Iris Syl Faier (femeale kamii half vistani monk 7, LG)
This girl is proof that Darkon is a cosmopolite kingdom: she is the daughter of a mortu Vistani woman and a Rokuma man who was "kidnapped" by Darkon. She has strong "asian" traits, mixed with Vistani features. She used to run around in rags, but since knowing Lucia (the Boritsi aristocrat/wizard of the group), she HAS to dress more appropiately.
Iris Syl was trained by his father, but unfortunately, while he made sure she was a good fighter, he forgot to give her basics teaching: Iris Syl is practically illiterate, she cannot count beyond twenty, she doesen't understand many words (imagine Lucia and Iris Syl talking: Int 18 vs. Int 8! :D). After her father was found dead (her mother died during chilbirth), she was taken in by and old seamstress, who sold her father's dojo and ketp her practically in slavery. She managed to run away one night, when she saw she was about to be sold to a strange man, who had a discomforting aura around him (her 1st level feat was Ethereal Empathy, modified to let her sense other people's "auras").
After she came to Neblus, she developed a close relationship with Lucia, who took her as servant.
The group was currently fighting a deviated sect of the Eternal Order, one that bases its teachings on the Necropolitan Eternal Order. Its goal was to channel the energy of the three Horsemen in three suitable corpses.
Long story short, they were captured in a trap. The druid was to be used to channel the energies of Pestilence. The monk was to be left chained (to be later killed and animated as a swordwraith), the wizard was to be dragged into Necropolis to be used as a researcher... And Lucia (the aristocrat) was to be killed at once, since she killed the cult leader's sister. She was thrown in a pit, where she was killed by two carrion crawlers.
The other PCs managed to get free, and while prowling the complex, Iris Syl defeated and left uncoscious the handler of the carrion crawler (male elf ranger/abolisher). Then, she found the corpse of Lucia. Crying, she went to the previous room and began breaking the bones of the hand of the abolisher, and stopped only after breaking his arm.

Well, what do you suggest as Caress for this poor girl? :?
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Well, it seems like her sin was turning her grief into sadistic vengence...

Hrm. What about a small competance bonus to attacks or aimed techniques whenever a member of the party is wounded? Fluff wise, her friends being endangered heighten her senses, allowing the monk to make more painfully accurate strikes...the difference between throwing a punch, and knowing how to throw a punch just the right way to make sure the target bites his own tounge, say.
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

DocBeard wrote:Well, it seems like her sin was turning her grief into sadistic vengence...

Hrm. What about a small competance bonus to attacks or aimed techniques whenever a member of the party is wounded? Fluff wise, her friends being endangered heighten her senses, allowing the monk to make more painfully accurate strikes...the difference between throwing a punch, and knowing how to throw a punch just the right way to make sure the target bites his own tounge, say.
Yes, I was thinking about something tied with her attacks. What about being able to change her unarmed strike to peirging damage against an opponent that wounds her friends?
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Jakob wrote: to change her unarmed strike to peirging damage against an opponent that wounds her friends?
I don't understand that sentence, sorry. :oops:

Anyway, I would suggest she gets a +1 to hit rolls against opponents that wounded her friends or something, but in the process, she suffers a -2 to will saves as her mind clouds with anger and hate.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Kessler
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Kessler »

alhoon wrote:
Jakob wrote: to change her unarmed strike to peirging damage against an opponent that wounds her friends?
I don't understand that sentence, sorry. :oops:
Maybe "to piercing damage"? Well, nice touch if monk's fists suddenly bathe in opponents blood...

Another idea I got is to turn her hand(s) into dread companion. :)
P((hρ (A)- ρ/<έ) →n-∞1 (∑>0)
P(x=k)=(n/k)ρk(ˇ1-ρ)n-k
P(x≥1)=(10/1)•(1/6)•1(1-1/6)10-1+…1
+(10/10) : (1/6)10(1-1/6)0
=0,8385
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

I think that's a little harsh-a +2/-2 or +1/-1 seems a bit fairer to me for a first failure. It could eventually lead to getting a Barbarian's Rage ability or turning into a werewolf(After all, what's more loyal than a dog?)
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

DocBeard wrote:I think that's a little harsh-a +2/-2 or +1/-1 seems a bit fairer to me for a first failure. It could eventually lead to getting a Barbarian's Rage ability or turning into a werewolf(After all, what's more loyal than a dog?)
I... I... I am astonished. A Weredog? Hmmm... *starts thinking the Path of the Utterly Faithful*

Thanks to all for the imput!
I don't understand that sentence, sorry.
Sorry. It was "piercing". :oops:
- Luis Sepúlveda
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Jakob wrote:
DocBeard wrote:Well, it seems like her sin was turning her grief into sadistic vengence...

Yes, I was thinking about something tied with her attacks. What about being able to change her unarmed strike to peirging damage against an opponent that wounds her friends?
Monk normally need bludgeoning damage with their attacks for purposes of damage reduction. I think Jakob was proposing piercing damage instead.

I might suggest something similar to this. Her hand matching the one that she assaulted, becomes unbreakable. I might give her hand DR 1/- or maybe the ability to ignore the first 5 points of hardness. Basically, her one hand becomes a weapon but slowly becomes inhuman.
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Jester of the FoS wrote: I might suggest something similar to this. Her hand matching the one that she assaulted, becomes unbreakable. I might give her hand DR 1/- or maybe the ability to ignore the first 5 points of hardness. Basically, her one hand becomes a weapon but slowly becomes inhuman.
This is good too. Giving DR to the hand is quite strange, though... But making her appear more and more "unhuman" and more "construct-like" (constructs are, after all, the ideal servants...) is good.
I'll think in this hour before the session. :D
- Luis Sepúlveda
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Well, it's like Pratchett says: take a wolf, add some human, and what is it you get?

I'd leave it open-have her start turning into a construct if she starts acting like one, and a werecreature if she succumbs to rage and animalistic behavior instead.