Thank Ezra it's not Ravenloft (Dragonlance film)

Books, movies, television and everything else
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

I haven't read the Dragonlance books, but I'll watch the movie. I hope it's a good one.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Read them, read them now! Seriously the books are awesome, whatever we RL fans might think of the authors over the "Soth toys out of the pram" episode they wrote some excellent stuff and created some kickass characters (Raistlin is still one of my favourite characters ever), its definitley worth checking out. Start with the Chronicles then go onto the Legends, after that there was a lot of meh stuff, but also some real gems in DL fiction.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Oh THAT! :( Yes I've seen it. No horror check yet but I have to roll a fear check every time I think about it. Every time they do something like this I'm scared to death their going to screw it up, AGAIN. I can actually deal with the animation at this point, I'm more concerned with the REWRITES. The strongest part of the novels was the dialogue. It was the many famous lines and conversations between characters which marked the Chronicles as the landmark series it was. It infuriates me when Hollywood thinks they can rewrite this brilliant material and NOONE will notice. WE NOTICE!!! We noticed in Lord of the Rings! We noticed in Harry Potter! We REALLY noticed when they do it to Shakespere. And THEN they exppect us to like what they put in instead better. AAAAHHHHH :evil:
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Well, if Weis and Hickman are happy with the dialogue, then I guess we will be too.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

I'm not a Dragonlance fan, so this doesn't really concern me personally.

However, for the Dragonlance fans, here's something I'd be worried about if I were you. Now, for all we know as cheesy as it looks now, it might very well be very canon. On the other hand though, there stands a very high chance that the writers will say screw the setting, and play around with some of your more beloved characters, twisting them about like a picasso painting.

With the advent of 4e coming, and with some potential for Dragonlance books to be produced, what chance is there that this movie might have an effect on future Dragonlance material?
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

The thing I just don't get is why they had to make the dragons and draconians look like that episode of the simpsons where homer goes to the 3rd dimension. The rest of the movie is done with drawings, why not do the dragons that way too?! Is this stupid computer thing somehow cheaper or something?
Hail Strahd!
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

alhoon wrote:Well, if Weis and Hickman are happy with the dialogue, then I guess we will be too.
Spoken like somone who's never had the displeasure of even opening the TSR DragonLance Graphic Novels. You guys are all cracking wise about the artwork in the TRAILER. You don't know from bad artwork til you've seen this. And that's not even considering the SERIES of hachet jobs that had to have been done on the text. Take it from me, that trash needed to be put out worse than a California wildfire. :evil: The monstrous destruction visited upon this great material was criminal. It was like watching 'Highlander: the Quickening' all over again, only in graphic novel form. Some things you just can't see why they were greenlighted. The only thing we can hope is that someone lost a career over it.
Last edited by Manofevil on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

Hum, Manofevil...

Do you know something we don't? Have you already seen this??

Your post confuses me. No offense, I'm just not sure I understand what you're saying...

(Then again I am working nights right now and tend to get confused easily when that happens... :roll: )

Patrick
Mysteries of Darkon (AKA Miranda Cornelius' Journal)
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

I think he's talking about how awful the graphic novels were, not the movie.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

gonzoron wrote:

Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Lord that looks bad. "rough trailer" my ass. How much improvement can you do in a month?
The CG just looks amature-ish and is really jarring compared to the hand drawn stuff. It's like that bad Spider-man cartoon from the '90s.

Sure the dialogue and story might look good but there's NO excuse for terrible animation anymore. C'mon, when Family Guy and South Park look more impressive and professional you have problems!
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Daisy, I have to ask. What's with the random 300 picture?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I guess it is for us to compare a good image, done artistically etc with the DL movie.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Ugh! I knew I shouldn't have looked at it, after all the negative comment. It's pretty hideous. -_-
LordGodefroi
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by LordGodefroi »

Scarycount wrote:Is this stupid computer thing somehow cheaper or something?
In a word, yes. Even modern animated movies that look like pen-and-ink are also computer generated.
[url=http://www.classichorrorfilmboard.com/]Classic Horror Film Board[/url]

[url=http://www.halloweenartexhibit.com/]Annual Halloween Art Exhibit - Chicago[/url]
LordGodefroi
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by LordGodefroi »

alhoon wrote:I guess it is for us to compare a good image, done artistically etc with the DL movie.
Yes, but 300 was a live-action picture and DL is animated. Apples n oranges.
[url=http://www.classichorrorfilmboard.com/]Classic Horror Film Board[/url]

[url=http://www.halloweenartexhibit.com/]Annual Halloween Art Exhibit - Chicago[/url]