Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (cover)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ravenloft

Post by ewancummins »

I hope my earlier sarcasm hasn't set off a flame war! Seriously, it was only a little joking. I am just happy they are publishing anything Ravenloft!
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Is it just me, or has one of the zombies dressed itself up in its master's clothing?
The cure for what ails you
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

cure wrote:Is it just me, or has one of the zombies dressed itself up in its master's clothing?
Same impression here. It looks like a skeletal face and not a human looking one. I just hope that is not the case, for the danger of the vampire is a lot based on its ability to disguise himself as human.

But it's not fair to say anything yet. The image is practically just a thumbnail, we can't tell for sure.

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Ronia Sun
Arch-villain
Arch-villain
Location: Laramie, Wyoming, gearing up for another looong winter...

Post by Ronia Sun »

Don't take the cover so literally. I think the artist was going for a bit of melodrama there. "The face of Strahd is the face of death" and all that. I seriously doubt they meant to suggest that he runs around with the flesh half-off his face. Strahd is far too vain for that. Even Azalin prefers a more distinguished look.

Artistic license. They just wanted to make sure folks who know nothin' about Strahd know that he is Very Scary.
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. --Terry Pratchett
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

WotC often puts up "mock-up" covers for their books before they are released, so this might not even be the final cover.

Looking at the two authors, I have high hopes for this supplement.

However, I have a guess. This product will be a re-imagining of the orginal adventure. I will be very suprised if the authors stick to alot of canon outside of the orginal I-6 adventure.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Rucht Lilavivat wrote:However, I have a guess. This product will be a re-imagining of the orginal adventure. I will be very suprised if the authors stick to alot of canon outside of the orginal I-6 adventure.
Indeed, it will be most probably be high fantasy, compared to RL, and the more we can hope on the setting is perhaps a few details of Barovia around the castle.

But still I think it's a good news for us: if it sells a lot, we can hope for cool things and goodies.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

We're already seeing some love in Dragon magazine. Living Walls just popped up as a template in 343.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

I'm personally happy with whatever Wizards is bringing out now concering RL, regardless of its fantasy level. As long as they keep the horror mystique, it's all good with me. :)
Ronia Sun
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ronia Sun »

Hey, so long as it means they aren't relegating Ravenloft to the dustbin then I, too, am happy.
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. --Terry Pratchett
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

I completely agree. Perhaps this might even bring some new attention to Ravenloft, as newer players likely haven't even *heard* of Ravenloft before. Not to mention, since James Wyatt also wrote "Heroes of Horror", perhaps that'll inspire, if not a rebirth of Ravenloft, then perhaps a series of horrific adventures that could easily be converted into our own campaigns.

Fraternity of Shadows - Ravenloft forums, netbooks, author commentaries and more!
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I believe that EtCR will be tied into 'Heroes of Horror' the same way that 'The Red Hand of Doom' used material from 'Heroes of Battle'.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Hallow
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hallow »

Catman Jim wrote:I believe that EtCR will be tied into 'Heroes of Horror' the same way that 'The Red Hand of Doom' used material from 'Heroes of Battle'.
Makes sence, but I liked Heros of Horror.. It helped me with horror encounters more so then the Ravenloft DMG.
Just like the Pied Piper
Led rats through the streets
We dance like marionettes
Swaying to the Symphony of Destruction
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I believe the adventure will be good. It is a long and large one so even if they pack 10 PrC in there, there would be enough room for a complete, detailed background of many important NPCs. Not just a page or two.

About Strahd's CR. No, 24 or even 20 is too much for the Strahd presented in the Gaz I or the SotDR.
A party of 4 PC characters (rolled with 4d6 etc) with 700.000 gp equipment each, with all their prepared spells that have duration of 10 mins/lvl+ active can chop Strahd out soon.

PC Wizard 20th level usually means: 16 starting intelligence. +5 from levels +5 from wishes +6 from items = 32 intelligence.
Time stop and 2 Heightened Disintigrate spells of 8th level = 2 DC 29 fortitude saves... :? Can Strahd take that?

PC Fighter 20th level means: 16 starting strength, +5 from levels, +5 from wishes, +6 from items = 32 str.
Add a +4 holy, silver greatsword (just a +6 weapon, a cheap one for that level)
Add Weapon focus/specialization + their supreme versions + power attack +Haste (potion or item) +expeditious retreat (boots).

So he has attacks like +37/32/27/22 that deal 4d6+24 damage to Strahd without using power attack. Let's assume that this fighter decides to use power attack for 5 points of hit roll and 10 points of damage (2H weapon, Power attack gives x2)
So we have +32/27/22/17 that deal 4d6+34 (average 48 ) damage to Strahd; Assume that only 3 attacks per round hit = 48*3= 144 hit points damage... from a fighter that can make a move action of 50' before he dishes out that damage.

Add in this equation a cleric that would augment the party.

And I haven't been thinking of feats against undead, character researched spells, spells from sources like Spell Compedium, useful items like potions of divine favor made for the fighter etc.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Ah, but this is ravenloft. If the PCs have so much a +2 sword they are some of the most powerfull loot in the setting. As for the wishes...

Go ahead...make a wish :twisted:
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Ronia Sun
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ronia Sun »

C'mon, though, Ravenloft is The Great DM Conspiracy! Are you really gonna let your players have that kind of firepower? :twisted: Sure, if they're outlander characters being brought in for a Weekend in Hell...they might have that kind of stuff. If they're natives, though...well, they're damn lucky if they've lived that long, period! (Of course, this may mean they're smarter and tougher, even if they don't have the leet loot. ;) )

Honestly, if I were to run the adventure, I'd make sure my high level PCs would have to use their brains more than their brawn, if they wanted to defeat Strahd. Strahd himself is no dummy, and he'd surely take steps to level the playing field...or rather, *unlevel* it, in his favor. 8)