Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: C is for Chilling

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

Bat, sentinel

A few nights ago, Kazandra found a new pet--no, not the handsome but foolish young men she usually favors, but a bat. I was about to say 'common bat', but this thing seems decidedly uncommon. I can't exert any influence over it, and I've found it watching me with a strange look of intelligence in its eyes. One of those eyes has a greenish tint to it . . . almost like Kazandra's damaged one.
Most of all, last night, I saw a drunken nobleman accost Tavelia on a balcony while she was hosting one of her little soirees at the Cosmopolis Club. The bat swooped down from out of the night sky and fastened on the back of his neck.
He was dead within a minute.

--Personal files of Tavelia, 753 BC
Last edited by Matthew L. Martin on Mon May 29, 2006 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Boogyman, Mr Fox

"Marie saw him first standing by the stream, his bushy tail sticking out of his long coat. I don't know why but she ran away from me and tugged at his coat. "Mister mister,"she squealed in her bright little voice, "You're a kitty!" The creature turned with a grin, his smile far too wide for his small face. "What a bright little girl you are my dear but I must correct you as I am a fox. But you are still a bright little girl so you may be able to help me find a hare. "I've got red hair but my curls get all tangled up..." "So you do my little darling and I may be able to help you with that as well."

The creature turned and winked at me as I stood transfixed. He reached deep into the midnight black bag he had at his side and produced a comb of pure white ivory and handed it Marie as she squeeled with glee. "Well my lovely little one I have miles to go before I reach my home at the end of the white road and the hour is late." he said tipping his hat and within moments he was long out of sight.

Shaking off the odd feeling the creature put on me I took Marie home where she would comb her hair every night. Within a week we saw the first signs as her hair began to thin. A month later she was bauld, with in two the wasting deasease had taken her from us. All while she would sit in front of the mirror with tears in her eyes combing hair that was no longer there.

Tomorrow I take off to find the white road and when I get there I will skin that fox alive..."

As told by Jon Basset Demount in a final letter to his cousin
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Corpse rat swarm

Post by cure »

COPRSE RAT SWARM

When I arrived with the buckets of water from the Vuchar river, he sat hunched at work before a prodigious pile of dead rats, separating flesh from bone with a knife. When I returned with more water, the prodigious pile of dead rats sat hunched at work upon him, separating flesh from bone with tooth and claw.

-Falkovnian military report detailing the death on December 23, 750 of company cook Timvad Nayor
Last edited by cure on Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cure for what ails you
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

I dunno why, but we're suddenly getting a lot of doubling up. I'd better post the current to-do list again. (I can only use one blurb for each monster, so it's a shame to waste anyone's efforts.)

B

Blackskate [Stormwrack]
Blaspheme [Libris Mortis]
Bog imp [Heroes of Horror]
Bogeyman, Alligator Lenny [Dark Tales & Disturbing Legends ]
Bogeyman, the Bad Thing [DT&DL]
Bony hands [VRG to the Walking Dead]
Breathdrinker [Monster Manual II]

C

Charnel hound* [Monster Manual III]
Cinder swarm [Monster Manual III]
Cloaker, dread, outlander** [Monster Manual]
Composite walking dead [Van Richten’s Guide to the Walking Dead]
Crimson death [Monster Manual II]
Crypt chanter [Libris Mortis]

* In Ravenloft, these originated as Vecna's creations for use on the battlefield. Rare examples may escape/survive the Burning Peaks via the Mists, however, emerging anywhere else.

** The standard MM monster.

*** Ancient dead (deathless), not undead.