Favorite Module

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Darkknight
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Favorite Module

Post by Darkknight »

Not sure if this has been done, if so sorry.

With all these Ravenloft enthusiats, I was wondering which module you liked and why?

I really enjoyed running Bleak House. The asylum gives the opportunity to truly enspire terror. My players were of a higher level and believed that they were superior, that is until they were mentally tortured for a few days.

Bleak House is of a length that gave me the opportunity to put together a couple of sessions. The players really enjoyed interacting with Richten. The module gives a great look into the character of Richten.

What I enjoyed most was the puzzle aspect. My players prefer a hack and slash approach, the built in mystery of the house allowed me and the players to really feel out an evening. The thinking required forced them to push themselves.
I remember the first war, the way the sky burned... Faces of angels destroyed.
Keith Senkowski
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Keith Senkowski »

Castles Forlorn was fun for me. We really didn't run it out of the box though. It was more a backdrop that worked nicely for the game.
[url=http://www.bobgoat.com/conspiracy/]Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition[/url]
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

I loved The Created mainly because at the time I had a mosty munchkin group and it was a hoot to watch the normaly 19 str barbarian strugle to lift a butter knife and be smacked around by a teddy bear. :)
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

The one and only *House of Strahd* is my favourite module! I hope it doesn't get too spoiled with that upcoming 3e update! :)
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Night of The Walking Dead
I just love zombies, I lean towards amping this one up a bit though, The encounter in the storm with the zombies being revealed in the lightning has a strong impact, but it was a hit and run in my opinion. I would really like to do it again, but stretch that scene out for as long as I can.
Kessler
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Kessler »

Bleak House, first part. Simply great. Mindgames, being subject to twisted mind "cure", and and the feeling that you're constanly monitored...! It took several and several sessions to play, players really hated dr. Dominiani and were totally afraid of next "therapies" and "lobotomy", that was only whispered about.
P((hρ (A)- ρ/<έ) →n-∞1 (∑>0)
P(x=k)=(n/k)ρk(ˇ1-ρ)n-k
P(x≥1)=(10/1)•(1/6)•1(1-1/6)10-1+…1
+(10/10) : (1/6)10(1-1/6)0
=0,8385
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

The Evil Eye is my all time favorite. It's such a sprawling playground and a uniquely Ravenloft location. With some great NPCs and background story. Very fun.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

gonzoron wrote:The Evil Eye is my all time favorite. It's such a sprawling playground and a uniquely Ravenloft location. With some great NPCs and background story. Very fun.
Ditto here. Evil Eye is a must, as it has all that makes a great RL adventure: no dungeoncrawl, and the adventure doesn't end with the PCs killing "the boss".

Other favorites are: When Black Roses Bloom, and the Created.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
eldritch
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by eldritch »

I must have played night of the walking dead countless times and have really fleshed out the detail on it. I used several NPC's from various sources like the werecroc from children of the night: werbeasts , chicken bone the voodan from the monstrous compendium, uncle skeleton from the internet and good resources and map from the modent society. Dramatic atmoshpere is easy and effective, mine included a frog chorus CD, a fogger, plus licorise treats for players (at the appropriate times in the story). Also a macabre dinner with covered platters etc. was a good break from gaming during the zombie meal scene. for extra effect have them sit on the table top for a raft like effect (don't try this with portly gaming friends or cheap furniture)

I enjoyed dark of the moon, the created and touch of death as well.
The nightmare lands was alot of fun and had endless possibilty. unfortunately my gaming group went their ways before bleakhouse could be used.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

THe combined: From the Shadows and Roots of Evil. I'm against the use of Darklords in adventures but I loved these.
Night of the Walkind dead also is one of my favorites. I really can't decide between FtS and NotWD.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

The Nightmare Lands is my favourite. The whole atmosphere of dreams and not knowing what's real and what's a dream, completely freaked out my players, and they loved it all the way to the Grieving Cathedral.. :D

Also other Favourites: The Price of Vengance (the first module I DMd) and The Evil Eye.
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
Funk
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Funk »

Neither Man nor Beast!

I don't know what it is about this one, but I friggin' LOVE it. And every time I've run it (3 times so far), my PC's feel distraught by the ship-sequences, and then it just gets better. Never had a bad time with it.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

When Black Roses Bloom.

I'm a big Dragonlance fan, and love Lord Soth, so this was a fantastic adventure to run.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I liked From the Shadows and Roots of Evil. Both of them revealed interesting facets about the two most powerful Darklords in the Mists!
Vlad
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Vlad »

Castles Forlorn. This is the one that got me hooked on Ravenloft..
Hard to DM but very very rewarding.
Denn du bist
was du isst
und ihr wisst
was es ist
~ Rammstein