Game of Thrones RPG

Discussing all roleplaying games
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

Keith Senkowski wrote:
ScS of the Fraternity wrote:Well it certianly sounds like a good start.

No magic system, eh? Does that mean that nothing supernatural exists in the the game?
No. There are feats like the Dreamer and something that covers the crazy stuff the Maegie (sp?) can do, but it really doesn't cover what you do with this stuff well. A lot of it is kinda handwaved, which I find inexcusable in a $50 book.
Well, to be fair, there's almost no magic in the novels, either. It'd be pretty silly to come up with complex rules for something that only makes four appearances in about 3000 pages of novels, only two of those appearances are longer than a page, and all of them are done by non-PoV characters/NPCs (Mirri Maz Duur, the Undying of Qarth, Melisandre, and Thoros of Myr). Magic really isn't very important in GoT.

My bf picked up the book the other day, so I might be putting up a review of my own pretty soon, depending on when I can get my hands on it . . . :wink:
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Keith Senkowski wrote:
Okay, if I was going to do it I would break it down like this.

I would keep the Influence progession (which is basically 2 or 4 + Charisma Modifier per level). THe Player assigns what this Influence applies to (10 to House Stark, 4 to the Duke of Burgandy) in the same manner. However, instead of the vague sort of if you win by X something like Y happens I would do the following:
  • Player declares what he wants to accomplish and how he intends on doing it, which determines the social skill used.
  • DM replies with what the consequences of failure would be (Your brother gets pissed at your begging and kicks you out, lose 2 influence over him).
  • You roll the skill roll plus the Influence you are using (D20 + Skill + Influence).
  • I would always make it an opposed roll, either against someone trying to influence the person/institution in a different way or the person resisting the influence (which ever makes most sense).
  • Winner gets what he wants and gets to explain how it happens.
Seems good, realistic and simple.

May start altering, adding, subtracting etc to form a system based on what you propose here?
It would be interesting to use in Dementlieu, Borca, Richemulot etc.

1) Are you OK with this? It is your system after all...
2) Do you want me to send you a preview of my alterations in a PM so we can send the Frat a proposed system?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Keith Senkowski
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Keith Senkowski »

alhoon wrote:Seems good, realistic and simple.

May start altering, adding, subtracting etc to form a system based on what you propose here?
It would be interesting to use in Dementlieu, Borca, Richemulot etc.

1) Are you OK with this? It is your system after all...
2) Do you want me to send you a preview of my alterations in a PM so we can send the Frat a proposed system?
1) Don't need my permission man and I don't mind anyway. Can't copyright mechanics, only the text. So have at it, but thanks for asking.
2) I'd be curious to see what ya do with it for sure.

Keith
[url=http://www.bobgoat.com/conspiracy/]Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition[/url]
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Thanks. :)

PS. I'm already playtesting it. Doesn't seem unbalancing or anything, it just gives the PCs some edge for the time.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

A friend of mine is starting up a campaign of AGOT, so I've had a bit of a look at this system now.

In a lot of ways, I think Keith is right. He's a little harsher than I would be, but then I 1) haven't bought the book; and 2) haven't read the novels (yet).

The absolute first thing I noticed: the character sheet sucks. Horribly. The designers made a huge mistake by trying to cram everything onto one page. There is place to write a weapon entry, not a whole lot of room for feats, and even less for reputation, influences, and physical description. By far the worst flaw in sheet design, though, is the space for skills (or lack thereof). In a game that seems to be more skill-based than your average D&D game, you're given four lines that extend only halfway across the page on which to write your skills. Now, the D&D sheet devotes most of the right side of the front page to skills, and yet this apparently more skill-based game (the Maester class gets 9+Int skills/level) gives you roughly a third of that space. Absolutely terrible design.

I've not had much time to look over the combat system yet, but I've heard good things about the ability to pinpoint weak spots in armor and such. I'll comment more on this as I learn about it. The influence and reputation system seems like a cool idea, but after reading through that whole section twice, I'm left scratching my head. Hopefully once we try it out it will make more sense.

As stated somewhere already in this thread, the gratuitous history of the fantasy genre is a waste of space in this book. That space would have been better spent explaining some of the game rules or different campaign styles in better detail, or better yet, deleted from the book entirely (thus dropping the hefty price tag a few bucks).

The layout of the book is confusing at best. Things we're accustomed to seeing right at the beginning (character classes, for example) aren't found until nearly 100 pages into the book. The first time I looked through this, I spent nearly 5 minutes flipping pages trying to figure out what classes I could choose from. As mentioned above, it's also quite a headache to read a bit about how some feat or ability works, then be referred to the section in which it's actually described, 200 pages further into the book.

Organization aside, the majority of the content in this book seems to be solid, though. The brief summary of the first novel really helps the AGOT novice like me, and after reading that and the bios of the major characters (inexplicably located near the back of the book instead of near the novel summary), I feel as though I understand the world well enough to begin playing in it. So in terms of friendliness to newcomers, this system definitely gets two thumbs up.

I also quite like the classes, which are better balanced even than those in some WotC products (Star Wars, I'm looking at you :evil: ). The feats are well thought out as well, although I was disappointed to learn that the Legendary Feats category contains all of about 3 or 4 feats.

I'll give some more feedback when I've actually played the system, but so far it looks like a usable system, so long as you keep one finger in the table of contents section whenever you open the book.
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

If anybody is ever interested, I made a proper AGOT character sheet by taking the D&D sheet and making appropriate changes. I can email it to anybody who is interested.