Problems starting a new campaign

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Problems starting a new campaign

Post by Charney »

Hi, I was just wondering if this happened to others.

Lately, I figured I have a very hard time starting new games. Let's say I decide to make a new game with new characters, 1st level, with no link to a previous campaign, I'm a ground zero of inspiration. On the other hand, to continue previous campaigns I'm a *disable humility* genius!

Anybody else had that kind of problems? All my new games die :(

I ask because I should start a new campaign soon (not RL) with 1st level players and although I made brilliant backgrounds for the game, I don't know what the actual gaming will be like.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Well gaming wise it will heavily depend on your players and how they rp. If you set up an intense gothic love tale story line and they just want to kill goblins... well you see where I'm going with that.

I suggest you pick your players carefully (if possible and usually it isn't) to get those who are interested in the kind of story you want to develop.

Then get them to make their characters with about 2-3 pages miniumum of history. This history is vital as you can use it for plot hooks to tie in with your overall story.

Most of all try to isolate what you like about your other campaigns. Is it the characters? The already developed story? The setting? Then try to incorporate some of that in the new one if possible. At the end of the day if you don't want to be DMing a certain campaign it is going to be a very uncool experience for both sides.

If you want to spitball some ideas you can post them here for some reviewing I guess.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi charney,
I too find the start of a new campaign the most difficult. there are so many options and possibilities. When the campaign is running you have a bit more support from the past gamesessions.

a good way to start is as coan says to let the players write up some backstory. let them pay attention to their character's reason for adventuring and the goals (longterm and shortterm they wish to achieve). Use their creativity and imagination to help yours along.

another good way to start is to confront the characters with an immediate problem that needs their attention RIGHT NOW. In my campaign I started with the abduction of all the children of the hometown of the characters. They immediately went to the rescue which took them 2 sessions and then I had a bit better idea of what sort of characters they were and what sort of campaign they wanted.

I hope I have been helpful

Jennifer
Troile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Troile »

Think about it as if you're writing a story...novel...whatever.

Think about what theme you want, setting, atmosphere, audience reaction, tone etc etc.

Then think about what would be the best way of going about that.

Also think of an ending. This isn't to say an actual plot specific ending or outcome...but what kind of ending would sum up your theme well.

Once you have the basic stuff like theme picked out the rest is easy. Its almost like a scavenger hunt of ideas. Ways to express the theme. Once the groundwork is done the rest of the campaign should naturally unfold to reinforce the main theme w/o you having to do much at all.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Problems starting a new campaign

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Charney wrote: ... I'm a ground zero of inspiration. On the other hand, to continue previous campaigns I'm a *disable humility* genius!
Hi Charney,

My advise would be to start again with small adventures - the usual search and retrieve, dungeon-dwelling etc. Such campaign tend to develop a self-dynamic that is inspiring for itself.

Besides, I recommend you to glance at two cheaply to get books:
-Blood Enemies, the Birthright villain book for 2e. A very interesting compilation of short stories about epic villains, together with a short description of their lair, domain and environment. Even if one doesn't play BR, it's a pretty addition to any DM's collection.
-The Penumbra Bestiary, a 3.0 monster compliation. Each monster isn't especially combat-heavy and has a a short adventure hook coming with it.

Out of this, it should be very easy to make one or to short stories players can enjoy.

Besides, if I may ask, which is the campaign world you plan to set your game in? -That would make it easier to help you, I think. :)
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Setting it in a new place or time is always a good idea. Gives you a chance to run introductory adventures. Another idea is to focus on the backgrounds and pasts of the characters.

I always think of running things like a TV show, a good drama. You gotta introduce 'the audience' to the characters, the motivation and the setting. Make a 'Pilot' as it were.
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

The setting is my homebrew world but I did have such problems when trying to start new RL games.

This campaign I'm supposed to run is set in a standard medieval fantasy with a lot of influence from Arthurian romances. It's set in a kingdom where the new prince is at war with an archduc who won't recognise the prince's claim to the throne and stole the crown from the prince. I have a lot of NPC's created to give background and context.

I have one PC who wanted to be the long lost brother of the prince who grew up with a wizards.
I plan on adding at least one PC knight and other PCs but with no clue about what character they'll play.

That's all I have, lots of background for the setting but not a clue about where to start with all that. Ideally, it should be about arthurian themes: the wizard becoming king or saving his brother, the knight becoming the greatest knights of all, things like that. But how to get there?
On that pilot idea, that should be the first gaming session with the wizard PC.
You're imput is helpful. I do think I'll aim for a immidiate danger at first to get the game going.
An idea I had is a good old "helm's deep" session where defenless peasants have to be protected from orcs.
Fido
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Fido »

Make sure you have jousting in your game. :D
It's always good fun.

A tournament could give you a lot of story hooks, I reckon.
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

Fido wrote:Make sure you have jousting in your game. :D
It's always good fun.

Hell yeah :D It could be a player's goal, to actually win a tournament. Tomorrow I'm supposed to create the first PC. I'll roleplay the character's creation. It'll be the mentor asking his disciple questions like: "what do you want to learn: History, heraldry or religion?"
Instead of me asking where he puts his skill points.
Fido
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Fido »

Charney wrote:
Fido wrote:Make sure you have jousting in your game. :D
It's always good fun.

Hell yeah :D It could be a player's goal, to actually win a tournament. Tomorrow I'm supposed to create the first PC. I'll roleplay the character's creation. It'll be the mentor asking his disciple questions like: "what do you want to learn: History, heraldry or religion?"
Instead of me asking where he puts his skill points.
That's a wonderful idea.

Check out "A Knight's Tale", by the way. It may well give you splendid ideas about it. (There are even World Championships :D .. in Rouen!! :D)
Love that movie...

I think there was an issue of Dragon Magazine that had jousting rules... #299, that was. You will like. There's a huge feature about knights in it.
I think it's the most usefull edition of Dragon. :)
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Charney wrote:The setting is my homebrew world but I did have such problems when trying to start new RL games.

This campaign I'm supposed to run is set in a standard medieval fantasy with a lot of influence from Arthurian romances. It's set in a kingdom where the new prince is at war with an archduc who won't recognise the prince's claim to the throne and stole the crown from the prince. I have a lot of NPC's created to give background and context.

I have one PC who wanted to be the long lost brother of the prince who grew up with a wizards.
I plan on adding at least one PC knight and other PCs but with no clue about what character they'll play.

That's all I have, lots of background for the setting but not a clue about where to start with all that. Ideally, it should be about arthurian themes: the wizard becoming king or saving his brother, the knight becoming the greatest knights of all, things like that. But how to get there?
On that pilot idea, that should be the first gaming session with the wizard PC.
You're imput is helpful. I do think I'll aim for a immidiate danger at first to get the game going.
An idea I had is a good old "helm's deep" session where defenless peasants have to be protected from orcs.
What about mixing a bit BR in it?
Check WotC and bloodsilver.com for good ressources.

Sounds thrilling, so don't give up that plan!