Where do I go next??

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Where do I go next??

Post by Desertrising »

Okay all I decided this would once again be the best place to take a question I have.

I am designing my next RL campaign that I will be launching in about four months after we wrap up the current campaign and this is what I have so far.

First the PC's wind up in Mordentshire by the Sea and there they are asked to investigate the disapearance of a young man's fiance (cliche I know but what the hay I have never actually used it). The last place she was known to be was out at a lighthouse she inherited.

Of course the PC's go explore the lighthouse which is not actually haunted but lived in by bandits who have made it seem haunted and they currently are holding the female NPC hostage.

In due course the PC's rescue said fair damsel but on their way back they encounter a small caravan that has been infected (posessed?) by Toben the Many.

They do battle and with luck force Toben to flee.

Question is where do I go from there? I want to keep Toben as a reoccuring Villian but I don't want to club them over the head with it.

Any insights and suggestions would be much appreciated.
Vote Cthulhu! At least then we know we are going to get screwed.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Perhaps as they travel they keep coming across the lone Toben zombie that he has sent to keep an eye on them.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

A good idea yes, but I am still wondering what to do for after the first Toben encounter? I mean sure I will have Toben Zombies show up periodically and once the campaign really gets going I will have it seem as though Toben is stalking them by his actions.

I just need something in between Toben encounters.
Troile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Troile »

The real question is what kind of theme are you going for in your campaign?

Its not really the plot thats important its the theme...once you decide on a main theme and minor themes and atmosphere...you can shape everything to tie into that main theme...

It doesn't have to be part of the same plot per se...but it can somehow tie in through the theme...if you weave everything together.

And I'm a big one for letting stuff happen by character choice and not directing it. I set the stage and they take it where they want...but the theme stays the same throughout.
Fido
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Fido »

Troile wrote:The real question is what kind of theme are you going for in your campaign?

Its not really the plot thats important its the theme...once you decide on a main theme and minor themes and atmosphere...you can shape everything to tie into that main theme...

It doesn't have to be part of the same plot per se...but it can somehow tie in through the theme...if you weave everything together.

And I'm a big one for letting stuff happen by character choice and not directing it. I set the stage and they take it where they want...but the theme stays the same throughout.
What exactly do you mean by theme, Troile? (I'm quite the new guy in RL, sorry :) )
Could you give examples?
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

theme is the overall idea behind the story you are telling. In Ravenloft you got a genre which is Gothic however there are several themes in Ravenloft. such as Survival, Mind games, Huanting memories, etc.

The theme I am going with in this particular campaing I would say would be along the mind games paranoia area with Toben the main instigator of these ideas.