Faust
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Dwarven domain : svartalfheim

Post by Faust »

Name:Svartalfheim
Darklord:
Cultural level: Early medieval (6)
Landscape: Sparse ecology(Cold mountain, hills)

Svartalfheim is a domain of frozen mountains. Few plant grow and almost no animals live on these mountain. It is said that some merfolk live in the fjord.
But svartalfheim is mostly an underground domain. It is a big dwarven kingdom.

Settlements of note: Nidavellir(pop 5000)
The folks: Population - 9 000; Dwarve 99%
Langage: Dwarven
Religion: None, but some abandonned temple show that nordic gods used to be worshipped.

Folks in this domain labor everyday, everyday they repeat the same thing and they are bored and tired. Farmers tend giant fungus farm, miner mine as much gold as they can for their capricious king and the smith smith weapon that will be probably never used by the militia. Life in Savrtalfheim is not joyless only boring and repetitive. The suicide rate is also very high.

Darklord: Willhelm Strom (dwarven vampire)

Willhelm Strom his a dwarven vampire except for one thing: he does not feed on dwarven blood he feed on gold. He must eat gold and other precious metal everyday. Willhlem is also the king of the dwarves.
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by William Blackmoor »

I know, the Alfar of Svartalfheim are sometimes thought to be dwarflike, but I prefer to think of them as dark elves (either drowlike or something similar to Faeruns feyri)
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Sounds good... Really good. I must confess that I miss the *Vikings-and-Vampires* theme a bit... too much Mordentshire, too less Vechor in the current developments of the line...

:D
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

I don't want to sound bitter, but i don't see any "tragedy" to your darklord. Don't get me wrong, but I think mine was better. :P
Beauty is in the [i]eye[/i] of the Beholder. Everything else is in its stomach....

I always respected [b]Fixxxer[/b], so I proudly present you [url=http://www.dndarchive.com]his own DnD site[/url]!!
Le Noir Faineant

:wink: The bare text may not sound exceptional; the idea itself could work, though... *Plotting*
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

No, I like the domain also. Especially the part with the high suicide ratio. I find the darklord kind of !duh :roll: ! though.
Beauty is in the [i]eye[/i] of the Beholder. Everything else is in its stomach....

I always respected [b]Fixxxer[/b], so I proudly present you [url=http://www.dndarchive.com]his own DnD site[/url]!!
Le Noir Faineant

It's more a high fantasy than a RL setting, but even of the gold-eating you can milk a convincing story, IMO...

(Not that I was about to try in the near future... Too much stuff going on...)

:soth:
Faust
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Faust »

sabbattack wrote:I don't want to sound bitter, but i don't see any "tragedy" to your darklord. Don't get me wrong, but I think mine was better. :P
I did not even wrote the story of my darklord yet :shock:

Well I wrote it but in french so I must translate it first.

As for the viking dwarven vampire, well I made the darklord based on the dwarf in the twilight of the god. It is said that if he go to the sun he turn to stone. But I think of removing the fact that he is a vampire and make that all dwarves form savrtalfheim are duergar and that they turn to stone if they to the sun. But the problem is that well its not a very playable character race if I do this.

As for to high fantasy well... only the darklord eat gold :) And its not more fantastic than sithicus or the shadow rift.
Faust
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Faust »

Here is the story of the darklord but in french:

La vie de Willhelm était ennuyeuse et répétitive... Chaque jour il patrouillait les même quartiers de la ville, surveillait les même mines et rencontrait les même gens. Au départ quand il avait joind la guarde c'étais par espérence d'aventures, de quête épiques mais surtout de trésors! Mais hélas sa ville natale de nidavellir était petite et sans histoire... étant en plein milieu d'un royaume nain il n'avait rien à défendre: aucune invasion d'orc, d'elfe noire ou de goblin. Bref un endroit ou la plupart des gens auraient aimé vivre, mais pas Willhelm, il n'était pas de ceux qui était née pour un petit pain! De plus son maigre salaire ne lui permettait pas de se payer les luxes auxquels il avait rêver. Sans conter qu'il ne fréquentait pas les princesses des contes loin de la: il était un nain particulierement hideux et il n'avait aucune femme. Bref sa vie était un fiasco total. C'est pourquoi il décida un jour d'en finir... il sortit du royaume souterrain des nains pour pouvoir choisir au moin un bel endroit ou mourir:il ne voulait surtout pas mourir dans ces mines infecte. Il marcha quelques minute quand il arriva à un fjord d'une beauté immense: il avait décidé c'était la qu'il allait mourir, il allait se noyer dans des eaux bleus d'une pure beauté! Il se jeta à l'eau et bien vite il perdit connaissance. Il croyait qu'il allait mourrir mais le destin en voulut autrement trois ondines témoin de la scene l'ont pris en pitier et lui sauvère la vie. Il se réveilla dans une caverne humide, déçue de ne pas être mort. Il allait répéter sa tentative de suicide quand il apperçut des filons d'or dans la caverne. La caverne était remplit d'or qui ne demandait qu'a être extraite! Il savait qu'a partir de la sa richese était faite! Il retourna chez lui et repris son emploie toujours aussi ennuyant, mais la au moin il avait une motivation: après sa journée de travaille, il allait en cachette extraire de l'or dans sa caverne. Il dut évidamment assassiner quelques curieux en chemins, mais heureusement pour lui il ne se fit jamais prendre. Il commença ensuite à prêter son or à des nains plus pauvre que lui, au début les taux d'interêt étaient pratiquement inexistant. Ce qui le rendit asser populaire dans la petite communauté et lui permit même de se faire élire comme maire! Mais l'argent et le pouvoir changent les hommes: et c'est encore plus vrai pour les nains! Les taux d'intérêt devinrent rapidement plus élevé et ses méthodes de recouvrement de plus en plus violente. Un jour un homme qui avait contracté trop de dettes auprès de Willhelm lui demanda pitié... Willhlem accepta d'oublier les dettes de l'homme en échange de la main de sa fille: Carlotta. Carlotta avait dès sa tendre enfnace impresionner le vieux Willhelm. Elle était encore jeune mais le vieux Willhelm savait qu'elle ferait un bonne épouse... Ce fut un marriage sans amour, les relations sexuelles ressemblaient toujours plus à un viol qu'a une vrai relation... Malgrés sa grande richesse Willhelm vivait sous ses moyens: il vivait grandement sous ses moyens. La nourriture qu'ils mangeaient étaient toujours de qualité inférieur. Leur caverne était très petite et leur linge était toujours rapiécé.

Un jour sa femme alors enceinte tomba malade, très malade... malade au point ou l'on craignait pour sa vie. Pour la soigné il aurait fallue un prêtre, mais Willhelm malgré son énorme richesse n'était pas prêt à déboursé la somme d'argent requise! Alors il laissa son épouse mourir, c'est lorsqu'elle est morte que pendant un instant Willhelm se rendit compte de ses erreurs et de ses pêchés pris encore par la tristesse il voulue mourir encoreune fois. Il reprit le même chemin qu'il y a des annés il arriva au même fjord et se rejeta dans ses eaux. Cette fois les ondines ayant entendue parler de quel genre de vil personnage il était devenue ne le prirent pas en pitier et le laissairent mourir. Mais une entité plus sombre et plus mesquinne décida de le sauver.

Il se réveilla encore dans sa caverne mais cette fois il avait faim..très faim! Et il mangea ce qui restait de ses filons d'ors...
Il retourna à Nidavellir et vue ensuite que sa petite ville avait grandit pendant son absence il était maintenant roi. Tout ses ambitions étaient comblé, toute sauf deux: Il avait toujours(littéralement cette fois) faim d'or et sa femme n'était plus la!

Les annés suivantes il les passa à prendre conscience de sa malédiction et de se limites.

Quand Willhelm veut fermer les limites de son domaine une tmepête se déchaine dans l'océan qui entoure l'ile ou se trouve le royaume des nains: Svartalfheim.

p-s: Ok ceux qui viennent de mon bout oui je le sais j'ai totalement et sans honte d'ailleurs copier séraphin mais j'ai au moin le mérite d'avoir réussit à mélanger un mythe québécois ave cun mythe scandinave :P
Pas mal hein?
Faust
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Faust »

Also the history above explain why life is so boring in svartalfheim. I just hope many people speak french on these boards :(
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Faust wrote:I just hope many people speak french on these boards :(
Mais, bien sûr.
The cure for what ails you
Le Noir Faineant

Bon, un peux.

Although English BETTER.

:soth:

Now, we have here a pack of depressive, suicidal dwarves opressed by a metal-eating 3 feet tall vampire lord...

Aah... That would fit so well for Marak Valley on Taladas...

:D
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

William Blackmoor wrote:I know, the Alfar of Svartalfheim are sometimes thought to be dwarflike, but I prefer to think of them as dark elves (either drowlike or something similar to Faeruns feyri)
Esp. if you consider the translation: Black-Elf-home.
I believe the drow are originally based on the svartlfen among other things.

In the FR Drow novels by Elaine Cunningham (the ones featureing Liriel Baenre) i think there is a reference to drow being called svartalfen.
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

Please, not french!!!!! I speak English, Greek, Spanish and Italian (and a little bit of Latin of course) but not French!We were forced to learn some in junior high school and i hated it like hell :evil: !!

*In an Indiana Jones way* "French...Why does it always has to be French!!!"

Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

sabbattack wrote:Please, not french!!!!! I speak English, Greek, Spanish and Italian (and a little bit of Latin of course) but not French!We were forced to learn some in junior high school and i hated it like hell :evil: !!

*In an Indiana Jones way* "French...Why does it always has to be French!!!"
I'm English, and to quote Eddie Izzard, "the English cannot cope with two languages. 'Two languages in one head? No one can live at that speed!'"

I only speak English, languages aren't my strong point.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005