Starting in Ravenloft at level 3?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Solan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Starting in Ravenloft at level 3?

Post by Solan »

I may soon be starting a brand-new campaign in Ravenloft. My players, however, would like to start at Level 3 rather than Level 1 in order to avoid the very high probability of dying to, well, anything! Given the deadliness of the setting, I'm inclined to agree. My question is this: what, if any magical items should be bestowed upon starting level 3 heroes? There are so many monsters out there which require a +1 weapon just to hit! Has anyone else faced this situation before?
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Starting in Ravenloft at level 3?

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I typically check the wealth-by-level table and adjust starting gold accordingly. Consider marking up the price for genuine magical items a bit, given that Ravenloft is mostly a low-magic setting, and make sure the players give a good backstory as to why they're packing magic gear ("granddad brought this sword home from his army days, and a priest blessed it for him after he saved his life" is a good one), but otherwise let them go wild.
Solan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Solan »

Sorry, Rock, I should have been more specific! I'm using 2nd edition rules, so the closest thing I have to a wealth by level table is the 15% chance it lists in the Monstrous Manual for each 3rd level NPC adventurer to have a magic item of a suitable type for that class. For example, the Fighter has a 15% chance to have a magical weapon, 15% chance to have a magical shield, and 15% chance to have magical armor, if my memory is right.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

In that case, I guess I'd raise the percentage.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

I always start new characters at 3rd level (or 2nd/2nd for multiclassed characters) exactly because we have no patience with creating backstories for expendable characters. Why create a backstory? Why, because an interesting hook increases the odds that I will give out an interesting magic item. Not a powerful one, but an interesting one.

Typically I start out each 3rd level character with a simple permanent magic item and a one-shot magic item, often a potion of extra-healing or oil of sharpness. If I hand out a +1 magic item, it's more likely to be a dagger than a sword, but I don't even hand out many of those. I want the PCs to have incentive to learn about a villain's weaknesses.

As for wealth beyond magic items, I can't help you there. I ran out of patience with making my players count coppers years ago.
Solan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Solan »

Thanks, Ian! Nice to know this idea has been done by others. Your initial handout of magic items looks sensible to me.

I do want the PC's to have incentives to learn about a villain's weaknesses too, but for so many Ravnloft monsters that weakness is "magical weapons"! Even a humble Shadow requires the use of a +1 weapon in order to harm it! Furthermore, PC's of third level certainly can't rely on their wizard to sweep all their foes aside in a single awesome burst of magic; the fighters need to be at least somewhat effective or the party is going to spend all their time sprinting away from the monsters!

I'm not so worried about wealth beyond magic items, though I'm sure I should beef that up some.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Solan wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:28 pm I do want the PC's to have incentives to learn about a villain's weaknesses too, but for so many Ravnloft monsters that weakness is "magical weapons"!
I figure if I'm going to be so restrictive in my distribution of magic items then it's my job to make sure there are alternative ways to harm the foes. For example, the cleric's initial expendable magic item might be a holy candle, the light of which makes undead more vulnerable.

Also, I created the following spell to help in these situations:

Blessed Weapon
(2nd Level Priest) (Conjuration/Summoning)
Sphere: Combat
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 2 rounds
Area of Effect: 1 weapon
Saving Throw: None

This spell is very similar to the second usage of the bless spell, which is laid upon a single weapon. However, unlike bless, the blessed weapon spell does not fully trigger until the enchanted weapon is drawn. Only then does the spell's duration begin,
expiring after 2 rounds per level of the caster.

The blessed weapon strikes at +1 to-hit, but does not provide any further bonuses. However, the weapon may harm creatures which are only effected by +1 or better weapons, similar to the magic stone spell.
Last edited by IanFordam on Sun May 19, 2024 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

And, of course, there's always not being as stingy as I am. That's a viable option too. :mrgreen:
Solan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Solan »

IanFordam wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:51 pm And, of course, there's always not being as stingy as I am. That's a viable option too. :mrgreen:
Your stinginess can be cured! Tonight you'll be visited by three ghosts . . .