Lord of the Necropolis by Gene DeWeese

Discussing all things Ravenloft
S of Darkon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Lord of the Necropolis by Gene DeWeese

Post by S of Darkon »

Hi can anyone direct me to the exact reference wherein the Ravenloft novel Lord of the Necropolis is officially declared non canon?
Thanks.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Lord of the Necropolis by Gene DeWeese

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

That's going to be tricky. I figured it might have been on the old Ravenloft Mailing list, the archives of which are no longer officially available online. The oldest post I could find about it seems to be from 1998, and by that point it seems to be referred to as common knowledge that the Kargat disavowed the novel. But I can't find an actual post confirming that from anyone in the Kargat. (an oblique conifrmation from Cindi Rice, but not a direct statement). Given how long ago it was, and how nascent the internet was back then, I'd be surprised if the actual source turned up, but maybe another old timer here remembers? I certainly don't.

But the best source at this point is really that books released later, generally accepted as canon, contradicted parts of LotN.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
kourkenko
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by kourkenko »

Wow, it was a long time ago. I just remember , when the old kargatane site was still up, that even them didn't liked how the dark powers were handled.
TSR never said officially it was non canon, it was more an agreement at the time. I just remember how everything published after never took this version of the DP as canon ^^.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

The way I would use it, if I did is treat everything that Azalin "knows" about the Dark Powers is merely from his perspective. what he "knows" about the Dark Powers is rubbish. The whole book is about one major mind-screw the Dark Powers are inflicting on Azalin, nothing more.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

There is a similar issue over at athas.org. Allegedly, all of the novels outside of the original 5 were de-canonized. Yet no one can prove it.