the west

Discussing all things Ravenloft
edised
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

the west

Post by edised »

will a western fit the Gothic horror of ravenloft.
i think so, but have no solid ideas.
so those is my challenge to you, a western domain's.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: the west

Post by ewancummins »

Sure, Westerns can fit!

Check out Wayward on the Bone Sands.

SPOILERS, obviously

https://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Wayward
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Certain takes on Arkandale have equated it to Arkansas and the American south. See QtR #1 for a revision to make this connection more explicit. Nova Vaasa also has some commonalities with the American frontier as depicted in Westerns- the importance of horses, for example. The fanmade domain, Arlington Farm (USS 2001, QtR 11) has a Western rural vibe, although its human depopulated and decayed state would make it unsuitable for most Western adventures. Qtr 26 (Another Hundred Shades of Dark, under the entry for Gilmore Anders p. 128) gives us Alamos, based partially on Pathfinder's Andoran. Actually, the Darkmoon Vale region of Andoran would make for an excellent addition given both the presence of both inhuman/supernatural evil and human evil like greedy corporations and the like in the area.

If one wanted to insert a railroad, QtR 15 has an article with an alternate Core history that puts in a train line.

In generating ideas for new domains, looking at the darker toned and more critical revisionist Westerns might provide ideas, as might Weird West franchises with horror elements (Preacher and Deadlands as possible examples). Also certain works in Southern Gothic fiction and media.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The steamboat and the villages threatened by savages and beasts of the wilderness fit a "Fantasy America" setting.

The Lonesome Road has a Southern Gothic version of the domain.

Arkendale is a real place in England.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
edised
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by edised »

those are amazing!

idea
lighting Jack fastest gun slenger, he is know to have killed five men in showdowns, not counting all others attributed to him that can't be confrermd, he is not a nice man.
so when lawman Casey who killed him, calmed he out drew him (a lie) rumor start to fly. jacks soul dos not rest, casey was found in the hours of the morning shot dead in main street.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Boot Hill/AD&D crossover, good times.

Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »