Suggestions and questions for my campaign

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Terminusvitae
Conspirator
Conspirator

Suggestions and questions for my campaign

Post by Terminusvitae »

***EDIT: Rather than make a new thread, I figured I'd edit and update this one as a general catch-all for when I'd like input from the fine folks here at FoS. I definitely appreciate anyone's help they wish to provide!

Basically, one of the chickens the players raised early on the campaign is finally coming home to roost. A player who had to move away a few months ago had an extraordinarily simple-minded character who, through sheer good will and the perversity of the Dark Powers, was accidentally founding a new cult based on a benevolent "Horsey God" of hospitality and aid to the needy. After this character was betrayed by some of his friends and slain in horrific fashion, his primary disciple (also a PC), managed to flee the battle and has since been retired to NPC status...and he has twisted the "Horsey God" faith into "The Blood Steed," a terrifying deity that demands vengeance, hatred, and blood for blood. The benevolent NPC's efforts had involved introducing children to the concept of the Horsey God, and as his disciple was also a trusted member of several communities after a number of good deeds, the now-rage-driven disciple has had an easy time bending the teachings to far darker intent. He's now even gone so far as to abduct children, whose parents often go along with the scheme willingly (implicitly trusting this disciple thanks to his past deeds), whom he is now using to create a small army of heralds for the coming tsunami of blood.

By promising plenty of "material" for their experiments, he has partnered with some particularly callous sects of Alchemical Philosophers and malevolent adherents to the Divinity of Mankind in Paridon, and after many months of research and failed projects, this sinister meeting of the minds has met with their first great successes of combining the alchemical and the scientific to enhance and empower humans, both body and soul. Melding the secrets of emotional purgatives and intensifiers, metabolic enhancers, and even borrowing the processes used to create the fabled Enlightened Child of Alchemical Philosophy, they have accelerated the growth and maturation of these children through terrible methods of physical reconstruction and mental conditioning.

The inspiration for this is loosely based on the "Big Sisters" of Bioshock 2, as these are children who have their past stripped away, are enhanced by genetic engineering, and supplemented by advanced mechanical-biological melding to create a terrifying and superhuman foe for a singular purpose. These Armored Saints (yes, laugh!) have been "brewed" in individual "Sepulchers" (essentially, the same growth tanks used to create alchemical children) over a period months as their new physical and mechanical enhancements are added and their maturation processes greatly accelerated: they reach a biological age of 17 in a matter of weeks, at which point they are "canonized" as Saints with the final mental conditioning and the construction of a personalized and specialized armored suit, which functions much like an extraordinarily tough (and well-armed) environmental protection suit. Unfortunately, all these tender ministrations utterly destroy the person these children once were, and when they awaken, they resemble their former selves in physical appearance only. Implanted with alchemical/magical contraptions such as secondary hearts, emergency breathing shunts, and incredibly enhanced agility and strength, they live and strive only to usher in the era of their unholy god, who will see the Realms drowned in blood for the crimes of its inhabitants.

Here's where the fine folks here at the Cafe` come in. As of now, these Saints possess such attacks and abilities as:

--a terror-inducing shriek that is projected from mechanical voice amplifiers implanted in their vocal cords and connected to their masks. Tactically, they are to use these just prior to arrival in battle so as to sow as much panic in the ranks as possible while there is no clear danger in sight.

--a medium-range cone-shaped spray attack of some kind, mostly corrosive acid or alchemist's fire. Damage is based on the liquid discharged.

--a primitive grenade launcher-type weapon that can be used 2x per day. It's a 30-foot diameter blast that deals 2d12 damage, though since the players have managed to make it to level 10, I may need to increase this.

--they posses slightly-below-Monk speed but can use Spider Climb at will

--each carries a personalized primary melee weapon, be it something as basic as a razor-sharp blade or as fantastical as a primitive over-the-hand chainsaw. None of these are finalized, yet.

--each is also equipped with a wickedly sharp, hollow tube on their off-hand forearm that functions as a hypodermic needle, secondary melee weapon, and extractor of some vital essence all-in-one. I'll have about a half-dozen of these Saints set loose into the world, and I'd like each one to be able to extract something different from their victims on a successful needle attack. Some ideas I've had are: blood (pretty basic), cerebrospinal fluid, emotions, memories, and the will to live. However, I'm having trouble adjudicating what the in-game effect of some of these would be, and so I turn to you.

What suggestions do you have for other abilities and attacks (particularly draining attacks), and how would you implement them? Given how creative and knowledgeable everyone here is, I doubt I'll need to do much, if any, tweaking. I'm looking forward to sheer cruelty and horror of your ideas! :twisted:
Last edited by Terminusvitae on Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: I need suggestions for a draining-type attack

Post by jamesfirecat »

Terminusvitae wrote:Basically, one of the chickens the players raised early on the campaign is finally coming home to roost. A player who had to move away a few months ago had an extraordinarily simple-minded character who, through sheer good will and the perversity of the Dark Powers, was accidentally founding a new cult based on a benevolent "Horsey God" of hospitality and aid to the needy. After this character was betrayed by some of his friends and slain in horrific fashion, his primary disciple (also a PC), managed to flee the battle and has since been retired to NPC status...and he has twisted the "Horsey God" faith into "The Blood Steed," a terrifying deity that demands vengeance, hatred, and blood for blood. The benevolent NPC's efforts had involved introducing children to the concept of the Horsey God, and as his disciple was also a trusted member of several communities after a number of good deeds, the now-rage-driven disciple has had an easy time bending the teachings to far darker intent. He's now even gone so far as to abduct children, whose parents often go along with the scheme willingly (implicitly trusting this disciple thanks to his past deeds), whom he is now using to create a small army of heralds for the coming tsunami of blood.

By promising plenty of "material" for their experiments, he has partnered with some particularly callous sects of Alchemical Philosophers and malevolent adherents to the Divinity of Mankind in Paridon, and after many months of research and failed projects, this sinister meeting of the minds has met with their first great successes of combining the alchemical and the scientific to enhance and empower humans, both body and soul. Melding the secrets of emotional purgatives and intensifiers, metabolic enhancers, and even borrowing the processes used to create the fabled Enlightened Child of Alchemical Philosophy, they have accelerated the growth and maturation of these children through terrible methods of physical reconstruction and mental conditioning.

The inspiration for this is loosely based on the "Big Sisters" of Bioshock 2, as these are children who have their past stripped away, are enhanced by genetic engineering, and supplemented by advanced mechanical-biological melding to create a terrifying and superhuman foe for a singular purpose. These Armored Saints (yes, laugh!) have been "brewed" in individual "Sepulchers" (essentially, the same growth tanks used to create alchemical children) over a period months as their new physical and mechanical enhancements are added and their maturation processes greatly accelerated: they reach a biological age of 17 in a matter of weeks, at which point they are "canonized" as Saints with the final mental conditioning and the construction of a personalized and specialized armored suit, which functions much like an extraordinarily tough (and well-armed) environmental protection suit. Unfortunately, all these tender ministrations utterly destroy the person these children once were, and when they awaken, they resemble their former selves in physical appearance only. Implanted with alchemical/magical contraptions such as secondary hearts, emergency breathing shunts, and incredibly enhanced agility and strength, they live and strive only to usher in the era of their unholy god, who will see the Realms drowned in blood for the crimes of its inhabitants.

Here's where the fine folks here at the Cafe` come in. As of now, these Saints possess such attacks and abilities as:

--a terror-inducing shriek that is projected from mechanical voice amplifiers implanted in their vocal cords and connected to their masks. Tactically, they are to use these just prior to arrival in battle so as to sow as much panic in the ranks as possible while there is no clear danger in sight.

--a medium-range cone-shaped spray attack of some kind, mostly corrosive acid or alchemist's fire. Damage is based on the liquid discharged.

--a primitive grenade launcher-type weapon that can be used 2x per day. It's a 30-foot diameter blast that deals 2d12 damage, though since the players have managed to make it to level 10, I may need to increase this.

--they posses slightly-below-Monk speed but can use Spider Climb at will

--each carries a personalized primary melee weapon, be it something as basic as a razor-sharp blade or as fantastical as a primitive over-the-hand chainsaw. None of these are finalized, yet.

--each is also equipped with a wickedly sharp, hollow tube on their off-hand forearm that functions as a hypodermic needle, secondary melee weapon, and extractor of some vital essence all-in-one. I'll have about a half-dozen of these Saints set loose into the world, and I'd like each one to be able to extract something different from their victims on a successful needle attack. Some ideas I've had are: blood (pretty basic), cerebrospinal fluid, emotions, memories, and the will to live. However, I'm having trouble adjudicating what the in-game effect of some of these would be, and so I turn to you.

What suggestions do you have for other abilities and attacks (particularly draining attacks), and how would you implement them? Given how creative and knowledgeable everyone here is, I doubt I'll need to do much, if any, tweaking. I'm looking forward to sheer cruelty and horror of your ideas! :twisted:

Easy peasy, ability damage to intelligence for for cerebral fluid (that's right out of Van Richten's guide to Vampires for vampires who feed on that substance), ability damage to willpower for memories, charisma damage for emotions, negative levels for will to live (they will certainly tend to drain the player's will to have the PC survive unless they can be removed!).

Negative levels could also be used for loss of memories since they show a character loosing the memories of how the victories that gave them the experience that makes them such a good adventurer today... In that case for will to live you might want to do ability damage will.

That or here right out of Demiplane of Dread are the rules for depression style madness....

Depression:
A character whose mind is subjected to a truly terrible mental shock can even lose the will to live. Such a depressed person
abandons all interest in life and effectively becomes a living zombie. Such a character will initiate no action, wanting only to
be left alone. In any given situation, the character is 50% likely to do nothing, regardless of the matter's urgency, even if his
personal well-being seems threatened.

If the roll indicates that the character is not interested in a situation, he will simply stand still, sit motionless, or wander
around aimlessly. Any strike directed at the character receives a +4 attack bonus, and the depressed character automatically
fails all saving throws.

If the character does take an interest in the situation, it will be only a minor one. He will follow instructions given to him by
his friends or companions (preferring to obey the directions of the character with highest Charisma score over all others). He
undertakes these actions listlessly, however, receiving a -4 penalty to all attack rolls, saving throws, and proficiency checks.
In either case, the depressed character is still subject to the effects of subsequent fear, horror, and madness checks. However,
his absolute lack of interest actually provides a +4 bonus to all such rolls.

You may use that as a baseline/modify as needed...

Also where is the Big Sister Telekinesis?
Terminusvitae
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Terminusvitae »

I'm having trouble coming up with a good justification for anything to have telekinetic ability in this particular campaign. None of the players have tried out a psionic character yet (despite this campaign's high mortality rate) and they haven't run across anyone who's demonstrated such a capacity. They'll be going to Bluetspur later if they continue the path they're on, but as of right now, they haven't even heard mention of any sort of "psyker"-type powers. Heck, the party's barely been to Barovia and hasn't had a chance to interact with any of the Thaani there.

On the one hand, it would seem a bit arbitrary to spring something on them that could hurl a school bus with its mind, but then again, they've been getting a bit overconfident lately in their ability to scheme and outfox foes they've had to battle; something that stands a very real chance of killing most of the party through sheer might could be a nice change of pace, as they've largely gone up against things like packs of ghouls, assassin squads (they've caught the attention of more than one very bad person), and a bloodthirsty ship of cannibal pirates, but they've yet to square off against a single awesomely powerful foe. Maybe now would be the time to do it and put a bit of the fear of the Dark Powers back into them. After all, the abandoned lab where they'll be fighting this particular Saint is filled with heavy machinery and caustic/explosive chemicals...

I also think I'll have them make Horror saves if/when they figure out that these Saints are actually horribly tortured and terribly altered children, some of whom they've actually met and interacted with in the past. I'm not entirely sure what general DC range that would fall under, as it would be an utterly revolting revelation to most of the PCs, but I can't decide if it would be terrible enough to fall under the "Malign Paradigm Shift" upper echelon of Horror DCs.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm always open to ideas, criticisms, and rotten vegetables if my own ideas are too sucky.
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

Terminusvitae wrote:I'm having trouble coming up with a good justification for anything to have telekinetic ability in this particular campaign. None of the players have tried out a psionic character yet (despite this campaign's high mortality rate) and they haven't run across anyone who's demonstrated such a capacity. They'll be going to Bluetspur later if they continue the path they're on, but as of right now, they haven't even heard mention of any sort of "psyker"-type powers. Heck, the party's barely been to Barovia and hasn't had a chance to interact with any of the Thaani there.
I mainly mentioned Telekinesis because it's one of the attacks that the Big Sisters use in Bioshock 2 there's no reason you have to include it if it doesn't fit the setting.
Terminusvitae
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Terminusvitae »

jamesfirecat wrote:
Terminusvitae wrote:I'm having trouble coming up with a good justification for anything to have telekinetic ability in this particular campaign. None of the players have tried out a psionic character yet (despite this campaign's high mortality rate) and they haven't run across anyone who's demonstrated such a capacity. They'll be going to Bluetspur later if they continue the path they're on, but as of right now, they haven't even heard mention of any sort of "psyker"-type powers. Heck, the party's barely been to Barovia and hasn't had a chance to interact with any of the Thaani there.
I mainly mentioned Telekinesis because it's one of the attacks that the Big Sisters use in Bioshock 2 there's no reason you have to include it if it doesn't fit the setting.
Oh, it's all good. The more I think about it, the more it actually makes sense, since this splinter of the Divinity of Mankind is all about "developing the human mind" and "realizing man's mental, physical, and spiritual potential." Psykers would probably be a significant portion of their adherents, and with some subtle and surreptitious aid from the Dark Powers, this could easily bleed into the processes used to create the Saints.
Terminusvitae
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Suggestions and questions for my campaign

Post by Terminusvitae »

Well, the foe ended up being a hit (literally and figuratively, with a third of the party perishing thanks to poor tactical choices), so thanks for the suggestions!

Now, there's something else I'm having a little trouble thinking of: a LN Cleric of Ezra has been one of the player characters since the beginning, and the player has been very good at making her cleric a complex (and flawed) tragic heroine. None of the other party members knows the full extent of the things she's done both in the name of the Home Faith and for her own self-preservation, but her questionable actions include such things as:

--helping a splinter group spring an ambush on the party which resulted in a horrible death (a false flag operation at the behest of the Praesidius, whom I'm playing as a Lex Luthor type, only leading a church instead of a corporation)

--making a deal with a vampire in an isolated Barovian village for safe passage for the party by giving a grumpy old man useless trinkets to keep a vampire at bay later that evening

--withholding life-saving treatment from a poisoning victim for not revealing useful information when it would have helped

--deliberately not warning a particularly charismatic player character about Ivana Boritsi's reputation when he caught the Black Widow's eye at a party because she didn't want anyone to trace it back to her and even consider the remote possibility of making her a target

--adopted no fewer than three different identities and appearances in an effort to evade the consequences of her choices, each of which has done at least one other morally objectionable thing

She's finally failed a Powers Check, which was on an Unprovoked Assault, of all things, when she was in a bad mood and badly injured a random citizen on a lightly-traveled road because he whistled at her as they passed. I need a proper simultaneous boon and curse for her first failed check, but I'm not sure where I should go with it since she's done a number of different things and has some definite flaws, such as a weakness for luxury, a strong tendency to take the easy way out, and she goes to great lengths to avoid paying the price for the things she does. She's also the party healer, so one thought I had was to allow her to Maximize a cure spell once per day, but when she does so, her appearance flickers and changes for a brief moment to reflect one of her other identities.

Of course, I'm always open to suggestions, and I'm always looking for something that would be particularly delicious and dastardly!
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

Terminusvitae wrote:Now, there's something else I'm having a little trouble thinking of: a LN Cleric of Ezra has been one of the player characters since the beginning, and the player has been very good at making her cleric a complex (and flawed) tragic heroine. None of the other party members knows the full extent of the things she's done both in the name of the Home Faith and for her own self-preservation, but her questionable actions include such things as:

--helping a splinter group spring an ambush on the party which resulted in a horrible death (a false flag operation at the behest of the Praesidius, whom I'm playing as a Lex Luthor type, only leading a church instead of a corporation)

--making a deal with a vampire in an isolated Barovian village for safe passage for the party by giving a grumpy old man useless trinkets to keep a vampire at bay later that evening

--withholding life-saving treatment from a poisoning victim for not revealing useful information when it would have helped

--deliberately not warning a particularly charismatic player character about Ivana Boritsi's reputation when he caught the Black Widow's eye at a party because she didn't want anyone to trace it back to her and even consider the remote possibility of making her a target

--adopted no fewer than three different identities and appearances in an effort to evade the consequences of her choices, each of which has done at least one other morally objectionable thing

She's finally failed a Powers Check, which was on an Unprovoked Assault, of all things, when she was in a bad mood and badly injured a random citizen on a lightly-traveled road because he whistled at her as they passed. I need a proper simultaneous boon and curse for her first failed check, but I'm not sure where I should go with it since she's done a number of different things and has some definite flaws, such as a weakness for luxury, a strong tendency to take the easy way out, and she goes to great lengths to avoid paying the price for the things she does. She's also the party healer, so one thought I had was to allow her to Maximize a cure spell once per day, but when she does so, her appearance flickers and changes for a brief moment to reflect one of her other identities.

Of course, I'm always open to suggestions, and I'm always looking for something that would be particularly delicious and dastardly!
Long term plan, have her start turning into a Paka.

Love of Luxury (how cat like) constantly changing identities, lots of people would associate cats with laziness/wanting to take the easy way out, and Paka are known for their love of revenge against any slight, and never let a little thing like disproportionate punishment stand in the way of getting even. Also Paka have a Semi-Matriarchal Society so the fact that the character is female is an added bonus.

Also she can possibly start drawing interest from followers of Bubahkaa/Bastet feline goddess of healing, though of course given your characters alignment/personality Sehkmaa /Sekhmet feline goddess of "I will claw off your face off" is probably more up her alley. (Bastet is CG Sekmet is CN) but where's the fun in failing power checks if they don't lead to shifts in alignment?
Terminusvitae
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Terminusvitae »

That's definitely an interesting idea. The players haven't run into any paka as of yet (either in their true form or disguised), so I may need to accelerate their introduction because your idea is a fun one.
Terminusvitae
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Terminusvitae »

Say...is there a canonical (or semi-canonical) destination for the Oak of Screams ritual mistway? It's something the party will want to investigate if they catch wind of it, and since a couple of the members run in darker circles, they'll probably hear about it when they start looking for shortcuts to get to the places they need to go.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Terminusvitae wrote:Say...is there a canonical (or semi-canonical) destination for the Oak of Screams ritual mistway?
Nope. The only reference to it I can find is in VRG to the Mists. Apparently, legend has it that it will take you wherever you like, but no one has ever come back to say if it works.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Terminusvitae
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Terminusvitae »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Terminusvitae wrote:Say...is there a canonical (or semi-canonical) destination for the Oak of Screams ritual mistway?
Nope. The only reference to it I can find is in VRG to the Mists. Apparently, legend has it that it will take you wherever you like, but no one has ever come back to say if it works.
I can't help it: I'm steepling my fingers and chuckling evilly at the possibilities. Thank you very much!
Terminusvitae
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Terminusvitae »

So...how long do you think a Paladin of Ezra, and one of the greatest champions the faith has seen in recent years, can remain in denial about/ignore the morally deficient actions of his adventuring companions? With his fellow Ezra-worshiping Cleric's machinations and valuation of expedience and comfort over justice, the former Falkovnian's brutality and willingness to mow down bystanders who are in the path to a foe, and the Spymaster's embezzlement of funds and selling secrets to enemies, he seems to be turning a blind eye toward some serious transgressions. Further, he (rightly) suspects the rest of the party has made deals with a local vampire in a live-and-let-live type of arrangement, and he strongly suspects that the rest of the party's importation of "totally legit, you guys" high quality raw materials and finished goods has enough blood on it to leave a trail right back to the murderous thieves who procured those items in the first place.

Surely he can't keep ignoring everything his friends and associates are doing for the sake of peacekeeping not having to confront the people he's adventured with for a couple of in-game years now, can he? I've given his player some subtle warnings that perhaps his character needs to take a long, hard look at his current situation and his own role in it, but it's getting to be about time to ratchet it up a bit, I think. The question I have is: would it be better for him to have to face losing his powers until he atones for his reluctance and confronts the misdeeds of his friends, or should he start gaining dark and fell boons (minor, of course) each time he turns the other way when one of his compatriots does something he should stand against, eventually starting down the path of corruption as his own flaws twist his morality into something sinister?
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Terminusvitae wrote:So...how long do you think a Paladin of Ezra, and one of the greatest champions the faith has seen in recent years, can remain in denial about/ignore the morally deficient actions of his adventuring companions? With his fellow Ezra-worshiping Cleric's machinations and valuation of expedience and comfort over justice, the former Falkovnian's brutality and willingness to mow down bystanders who are in the path to a foe, and the Spymaster's embezzlement of funds and selling secrets to enemies, he seems to be turning a blind eye toward some serious transgressions. Further, he (rightly) suspects the rest of the party has made deals with a local vampire in a live-and-let-live type of arrangement, and he strongly suspects that the rest of the party's importation of "totally legit, you guys" high quality raw materials and finished goods has enough blood on it to leave a trail right back to the murderous thieves who procured those items in the first place.

Surely he can't keep ignoring everything his friends and associates are doing for the sake of peacekeeping not having to confront the people he's adventured with for a couple of in-game years now, can he? I've given his player some subtle warnings that perhaps his character needs to take a long, hard look at his current situation and his own role in it, but it's getting to be about time to ratchet it up a bit, I think. The question I have is: would it be better for him to have to face losing his powers until he atones for his reluctance and confronts the misdeeds of his friends, or should he start gaining dark and fell boons (minor, of course) each time he turns the other way when one of his compatriots does something he should stand against, eventually starting down the path of corruption as his own flaws twist his morality into something sinister?
I apologize for my limited 2nd edition perspective, but would his 'turning a blind eye' in turn make him become blinded eventually? Maybe his vision slowly fades away with each (reasonable) issue and worsens pending severity of witnessed transgression. This way the paladin can either lead through example or teach through example. Or become one hell of a blind fighter immune to gaze attacks. Who says I am a pessimist?
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

I don't think in this instance that the paladin's inaction calls for a power's check. Other people are doing wrong, and he's failing to call them out on it. Unless he were actively participating in some way in their crimes, or unless the consequences of his failure to step up cause significant and obvious damage that he still tries to deny, I wouldn't thin it would catch the Dark Powers' attention.

I think that it would absolutely would count as a breach of the paladin's code to let others do these kinds of things and continue to keep company with them. Losing his powers and needing to atone should be a wake up call. If he doesn't pick up, then I'd say he might have earned the scrutiny of the Dark Powers.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I would agree that the "Darklord of inaction" is up there with "Darklord of floating discs" in the bad idea list. I don't think inaction merits powers checks unless it leads directly and immediately to someone getting hurt/killed. (even though technically, it likely counts as breaking a vow/tenet) In any other world, it would merit the deity's anger and the paladin's loss of powers until atonement. In Ravenloft, the unspoken pact means most deities might not be able/willing to take such steps and/or that the Dark Powers might take up the slack and start granting powers instead if the deity withdraws them. There's a bit of a special case here, since Ezra is a Ravenloft-specific deity, and so could have a bit more of an active interest.

That said, I do like the idea of slowly growing blind, but it could be a warning from Ezra rather than a Dark Powers check failure. (especially if there's no boon to go with it.)

And with that said, you may have more of an issue than with a single PC. There's a group dynamic issue in the old "paladin and assassin are buddies" situation. The player of the paladin is caught between playing his character designed, and stomping on the other players' fun. The other players are caught between playing their characters as they designed and messing up the paladin's fun. Punishing the paladin PC won't fix the root promblem. You may need to talk OOC with everyone and get them on the same page. If they are to continue adventuring together, are the miscreants going to clean up their act (or at least get better at hiding their misdeeds from the paladin) or is the paladin going to fall from grace and join in with the scoundrels, or will they come to blows and break apart? Are the players OK with playing out the intra-party conflict, even if one or more of their PCs might die or leave the group because of it?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."