Van Richten and The Time Of Unparalleled Darkness

Discussing all things Ravenloft
monty--
Conspirator
Conspirator

Van Richten and The Time Of Unparalleled Darkness

Post by monty-- »

do you think this scenario will ever come to fruition? look, i've been waiting for seven years now and there STILL no inkling of when this scenario will be released. oh, and what do you think the purpose is for S to travel around Ravenloft? eagerley awaiting your answers..
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Van Richten and The Time Of Unparalleled Darkness

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

monty-- wrote:do you think this scenario will ever come to fruition? look, i've been waiting for seven years now and there STILL no inkling of when this scenario will be released.
you've got a bit more waiting to do. Current RL time is 758BC. The TOUD isn't coming until 775. (25 yrs after VR's disappearance).
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

From what I heard, the ToUP is just a plot device for now. There are no current plans (at least not when the Kargatane was in charge) to develop on this idea.

it's DM prerogative much like Azalin's return
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Shadowsworn
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Shadowsworn »

That's odd, I thought I posted on here. :roll:

Stupid me. Anyway, By my guess we'll be up to D&D 5th Edition by the time the Time of Unparralelled Darkness rolls around.
"Death is the great equalizer"

Proof that the Grim Reaper is a communist.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

The first issue for VR and the ToUD is not when or if it takes place, but how will VR be involved? There were several endings to Bleak House and the true canon ending has never been revealled.

Personally, I have alot of ideas for the ToUD and a few campaigns planned that will revolved around events that will effect its coming and passing. Every campaign though will feature offspring of the GC, whether they are good, bad or just indifferent ;)

As for VR, he's now a ghost in my campaigns, so he will be involved, but not necessarily as a hands on monster hunter like we remember him. Hey, I even have an idea that would place him in the role of a villain in those events. What if Madame Radanovich wasn't truly destroyed and managed to rejuvenate, she then spent the years since inso the estate with VR tainting his soul to use as an instrument of evil in times to come?

Has anyone else thought up that one? If so, what are your thoughts and ideas on it?
Swallow your soul!
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Well, I know what Our Hero and Azalin are up to, but I'm not going to tell.

Although, it's not entirely hard to guess. You just need to look at all the main characters and their past actions.

[Edited to fix a typo]
Last edited by Ryan Naylor on Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

Ryan Naylor wrote:Well, I know what Our Herolin are up to, but I'm not going to tell.

Although, it's not entirely hard to guess. You just need to look at all the main characters and their past actions.
Well Azalin for starters, the GC, the Vistani who couldn't see her death...

Mmm, I can't think of others at the moment. There's this clue about the 5 GC childrens so I guess Mallochio and Viggo Drakov are involved too.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Don't tell us that Azalin is trying to escape again ;) lol. However, using the children of the GC and the GC him(it)self, it could prove an interesting ploy.

Of course, to free Malocchio the vistani would have to be coersed into releasing his curse, then Azalin would have some ploy the get Malocchio into taking him out of the demiplane.

You know, that could work. It would certainly work for one of my ToUD prologues.
Swallow your soul!
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Don't tell us that Azalin is trying to escape again ;) lol. However, using the children of the GC and the GC him(it)self, it could prove an interesting ploy.

Of course, to free Malocchio the vistani would have to be coersed into releasing his curse, then Azalin would have some ploy the get Malocchio into taking him out of the demiplane.

You know, that could work. It would certainly work for one of my ToUD prologues.
Well, actually the ToUD could be a new device to escape Ravenloft, but so big in scale and so out of measure that it would probably simply wipe out the whole Demiplane, coming to the irony that it's better to "live" here than not to live at all.

How's that for a morality for end of line Ravenloft? «You've been trying to escape all your time here. You've repeatedly failed, and failed to understand you must not. But since you insist, boy, you have to know there's no place to go and nothing is worse than "nothing at all". Die now, miserable wretch, for once and for all, and along each and every one of us. Free and equal in death, at last...»

Ail
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Charney wrote:Well Azalin for starters, the GC, the Vistani who couldn't see her death...

Mmm, I can't think of others at the moment. There's this clue about the 5 GC childrens so I guess Mallochio and Viggo Drakov are involved too.
Considering one of these takes up approximately 3 sentences, I don't think they should be included in the list.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Since Azalin stated at the end of the report on Invidia "Let these realms drown themsevls in blood, so long as this Dukkar remains" I would expect that his plans would involve Malocchio and the vistani in some way. Removing the vistani would hinder Strahd as they act as his eyes and ears in other domains in return for his protection. So it xould well be that Azalin has many layers to his plan (just like an onion, or and ogre :P).
Swallow your soul!
Shadow
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Shadow »

From what I heard, the ToUP is just a plot device for now. There are no current plans (at least not when the Kargatane was in charge) to develop on this idea.

it's DM prerogative much like Azalin's return
I have an interesting idea for the Time of Unparalleled Darkness. Perhaps the Dark Powers are feeding of the fear and death generated by the entire demiplane. However, during the Time of Unparalleled Darkness, their plans will come to fruitation, resulting in a violent upheval, tearing the very fabric of the demiplane apart...resulting in the death and suffering of untold millions of souls who inhabit it. The strength that they can get from this act will finally allow them to ascend to "True Godhood", not just limited to ruling over the demiplane of dread. Afterall, everything that has a beginning has an end...
In the darkness of night look toward the stars
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

I wonder why the natural assumption is that the Dark Powers are evil and glory in death and destruction?
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Because they collect the scum of the multiverse, give them power and lock them in with pleanty of hapless peasants to kill, torment or mooch off of? Oh, and the fact that many of Darklord curses just prod the Lord into commiting more acts of evil.

That just might have something to do with it. :)
Evil Reigns!!!!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Ryan Naylor wrote:I wonder why the natural assumption is that the Dark Powers are evil and glory in death and destruction?
I see the Dark Powers more alike to scientist who run rats around in mazes that they vary in design every so often. When a new Domain is founded, to the DP's that land is a new modification on the maze. They wait, observe, learn and understand. The overall goal they may have (if they should be one) would be utterely beyond our understanding, also they are above what a mortal could relate to any form of ethic or morality.

So to me they are not evil, they are devoid of all form of alignment, or at least to our reckoning ;)
Swallow your soul!