Your thoughts on the Paka?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
twinwolf
Conspirator
Conspirator

Your thoughts on the Paka?

Post by twinwolf »

what exactly is known about the Paka aside from they are evil shapeshifters that hate humans, especially Highregaards, for some past slight real or imagined?

can they take only one form when they shift or are they like wolfweres and take any?
Not every Angel alights the sky with feathery wings of Glory,
Nor every Demon with cloven hoof hunts unwary Quarry.
No, but evil exists in this world and in the hearts of us all,
For let us not forget even the greatest of Angels fell.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Your thoughts on the Paka?

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Not a lot:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Paka

I think they only have one human form, but I'm AFB right now and can't check.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Trike
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Trike »

Yep, not much on the Paka.

3rd Edition - In Denizens of Darkness, the Paka is described as having a human form, singular. It doesn't specifically say, but that would lead me to believe that it had only one human form similar to a lycanthrope. They had their own language, Aumes. They worshipped the Cat Lord.

2nd Edition - In Montrous Compendium 3, it mentions that the Paka wanted "sheer revenge for some wrong done to their species in older times. No paka has ever admitted knowing what this wrong was, or even it if occurred in Ravenloft." It sounds like they are passing down an oral history of ancient hatred. But since it isn't very specific, you could probably change it to fit your campaign. It could even be an ancient illusion of the Dark Powers. The Paka are seeking revenge for a misunderstanding or the actions of another race. (Those dirty Elves!)

If you don't have access to either of these books, I can write down a stat block for you. Just let me know what rule set you need. Someone might know where to find some more information, too.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

We had a nice thread about paka a while ago: Paka?
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

Trike wrote: 2nd Edition - In Montrous Compendium 3, it mentions that the Paka wanted "sheer revenge for some wrong done to their species in older times. No paka has ever admitted knowing what this wrong was, or even it if occurred in Ravenloft." It sounds like they are passing down an oral history of ancient hatred. But since it isn't very specific, you could probably change it to fit your campaign. It could even be an ancient illusion of the Dark Powers. The Paka are seeking revenge for a misunderstanding or the actions of another race. (Those dirty Elves!)
Also, there are a couple of details in Van Richten's Guide to Witches (VRMHC Volume III, pg 217-218) concerning a racial alliance with the annis that the Weathermay-Foxgrove twins noted.
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I recently took a look to the Pakas. They seem to me as one more "generic" horror you can use against your PCs, especially at very low levels (1-3). For later levels (3+) They're not that tough, but you can add a couple of levels of rogue or ranger to the leader of the hunt group or whatever you decide to call it and still have a good adventure.
A couple of pakas that are sabotaging a community, while living in it as a kind couple, with their toddler would be interesting for 1st lvl PCs.

More or less, you can use them in ways similar to drow vs elves or as the usual wolf-in-sheep's-clothing.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Trike
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Trike »

Your could look at some classic horror movies for a new take on the Paka. Specifically, The Cat People (1942) and the remake Cat People (1982).

One of your characters meets a love interest during another adventure. It doesn't matter if the love interest is male or female. Both could work. Then it slowly dawns on all involved that the lover is a shapechanger with a grudge against humans. It could even be a surprise to the love interest. General terror inspiring hijinks ensue.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I just did something on paka for the upcoming QtR. So check back closer to Halloween. ;)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Jester of the FoS wrote:I just did something on paka for the upcoming QtR. So check back closer to Halloween. ;)
I figured it would be there. After all, it's Cats. I mention Paka in my article too.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!