Necropolis

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Necropolis

Post by Zilfer »

Indeed, so that must mean when it's closed whenever someone gets stuck in that they are forced to never leave since their's no cure? (once it opens again that is) :P
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:Strahd's choking fog is also how Barovia's closed domain borders manifest. Only there's no antidote for that.
Oh, really? Huh, I didn't know that. I'd always assumed the Vistani antidote worked for that as well as for Village of Barovia's fog. In my fanfic Cryptic Recesses that sort of features in a flashback.

So they're normally two separate fogs then?
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

HuManBing wrote:
High Priest Mikhal wrote:Strahd's choking fog is also how Barovia's closed domain borders manifest. Only there's no antidote for that.
Oh, really? Huh, I didn't know that. I'd always assumed the Vistani antidote worked for that as well as for Village of Barovia's fog. In my fanfic Cryptic Recesses that sort of features in a flashback.

So they're normally two separate fogs then?

When you close a domain it's supposed to be... closed for good yes? So why would they let you go in and out of the domain with some potion? It breaks the rules! Not that a DM can't bend or break the rules as he sees fit.

(though you'd need a lot of potions to stay in Barovia for an extended time. xD)

HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I just checked GazI's entry on Barovia. The fog that Strahd uses to close his borders is exactly the same as the fog surrounding the Village.

So the Vistani potion could work for either, GM handwave notwithstanding.

I don't have any problem with houserules. I just wanted to make sure I didn't misremember something from the book.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Eh no worries though interesting that their is a way to subvert that domain closing boarder.... o.O'

High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Zilfer wrote:When you close a domain it's supposed to be... closed for good yes?
No. Domain borders are often open. The Darklord of each domain chooses when to close them (with the exceptions of Vlad Drakov and Tristen Hireegard/Malken who can't close their domains). The only domain with permanently closed borders is the Shadow Rift, and even then there are Fissures that let shadow fey, and others, in and out. Outsiders with the Extraplanar and either Good or Evil subtypes also override closed domain borders; their reality wrinkle essentially is a domain unto itself and they can't close the "borders."

Closed domain borders are a plot device that DMs can use to prevent players from escaping a given domain until they want them to (be careful not to abuse it; it's there to enhance the story, not railroad it).
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:
Zilfer wrote:When you close a domain it's supposed to be... closed for good yes?
No. Domain borders are often open. The Darklord of each domain chooses when to close them (with the exceptions of Vlad Drakov and Tristen Hireegard/Malken who can't close their domains). The only domain with permanently closed borders is the Shadow Rift, and even then there are Fissures that let shadow fey, and others, in and out. Outsiders with the Extraplanar and either Good or Evil subtypes also override closed domain borders; their reality wrinkle essentially is a domain unto itself and they can't close the "borders."

Closed domain borders are a plot device that DMs can use to prevent players from escaping a given domain until they want them to (be careful not to abuse it; it's there to enhance the story, not railroad it).
Sorry that sentance was constructed hastily. I meant that there's no getting out or in once they are closed, until they reopen. With time i'm hoping to get to introduce more places in ravenloft to these Rper's of mine. :D just so little time. xD

herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by herkles »

Zilfer wrote:
High Priest Mikhal wrote:

Sorry that sentance was constructed hastily. I meant that there's no getting out or in once they are closed, until they reopen. With time i'm hoping to get to introduce more places in ravenloft to these Rper's of mine. :D just so little time. xD
not in falkovinia! in falkovinia you get pass the guards at the borders, you are free. his guards are his closing off his borders, drakov seems to lack that supernatural power.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

herkles wrote:not in falkovinia! in falkovinia you get pass the guards at the borders, you are free. his guards are his closing off his borders, drakov seems to lack that supernatural power.
Vlad Drakov, whom I mentioned, is Darklord of Falkovnia.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."