The Elemental Dread - a brainstorming idea

Discussing all things Ravenloft
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Elemental Dread - a brainstorming idea

Post by NykylaiHellray »

This is partly inspired by WolfKooks idea to make a working real world from the demiplane.

Like my old idea i want to fashion three elemental type planes (minus mist as it manifests in the world itself) based on the dread elementals.

Which are Blood, Grave, and Pyre.

Now the original idea was to merely have these repersent a corrupted version of there element with a dark lord ruling over it.

Though now looking over the idea, I am pondering the thought of making these three elements not as merely a corrupted earth elemental for example, but more a direct manifestation of the darkness that inhabits the world.

As such I am thinking of using fear/horror/madness checks as the foundation for these new elementals. Making them more personifcations of concepts then rather the substance of existance.

Blood = Madness
Grave = Fear
Pyre = Horror

The blood elementals become manfestations of peoples lack of understanding of things they cant explain, and the manifestations of the madness that lurks in the minds of those that try to.

The grave elementals become fear manifest. The fear of the grave, and the fear of the shadows that lurk within every corner.

Pyre being the horror of discovering a freshly killed corpse, or the horror of relising that you yourself had commited the act.

Any thoughts regarding this idea would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by NykylaiHellray on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Kelliack"] It is the lost coin of the gods when they first flipped to see who would get which portfolio.[/quote]
lordsathien
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by lordsathien »

Interesting idea you've got (btw, you reversed the symbol and plane names for Grave and Fear), but I don't really think they 3 should be linked to one of the "3 big saves." I mean when I think of a pyre, I think of burning dead things, not them being fresh
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

Well its more of a basis for the design of these new creatures rather then what they will ultimatley become.

The horror of pyre is more the gut wrenching terror that lies in the hearts of man. The sight of burning flesh can in some ways be a metaphor for this.

The blood elementals, I have been most interested in. As I want more of the erratic madness and insanity that makes little or no sense, bit like the clown and the kishin in the manga soul eater.

I am also considering using the http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20030314a blood mothers.

Though rather then say they invade, i saw they more infect.

These monsters I am considering though are not big baddies, they are more things to be controlled or rarely seen running rampant.

There more manifestations of the mists, and more akin to taint elementals then true elementals.
[quote="Kelliack"] It is the lost coin of the gods when they first flipped to see who would get which portfolio.[/quote]