RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away CHAPTER SIX

Online roleplaying at the Café
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away CHAPTER SIX

Post by kintire »

Kat listens interestedly to the tales, although she looks slightly amused at the talk of the seer.

"Well before you rush off, I've got something to say as well. I was followed from the alchemist to the dock. I spotted him and counter-followed him. Red haired guy in a blue tunic. He went to a house in an alley and I managed to over hear some remarks of his: 'beautiful, with that hair of hers, the way it hangs against her neck. Red, my favorite. I could just eat her up.' Maybe its just a secret admirer but with what you said about fascination with hair..."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict's eyes harden a bit at this last. "Could be coincidence," he says, "And for your sake, maybe you had best hope that it was. And perhaps it would be best if you not wander off alone, if you can help it."

He reaches into his bag, pulling out his leather-bound journal. Fumbling inside, he retrieves a map of the city of Pont-au-Musarde. He fetches a pencil, and starts circling the sites of the known murders, the location where Kat was being followed, the site where the boat was found, and the lair that Wat and Alain found. He looks carefully, considering their location.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:He snaps his fingers, something suddenly occurring to him. "When were you there? How recently did it look like the place had been occupied? And did you leave any sign that you had been inside?"
Wat gestures to Alain.

Alain indicates they went there last night to look for a possible location for his new workshop, a place to make guns.
He says he needed soundproof walls. Recalling the Grim Bastion as a thick-walled ruin with intact, solidly-built underground chambers, he decided to investigate the current state of the old civic fortress.
Further, he says he was careful to erase signs of entry, and to take nothing, though he cannot be certain that the party left no tracks, given that he went in with ten others.
(Hirelings).
The place did appear to have been occupied recently, though if the occupant had last been present earlier the same night is hard to say; it could have been several days, maybe even a week.
No weather underground to affect things left lying about.
Benn's old adventuring companion also notes that the walls and floor of the room where the black portal-pool was(it's still there, but solid like dried tar) were covered in what appeared to be magical sigils and circles.

He provides a list of the manuscripts he discovered concealed in an alcove....

Lands Beyond the Mists, and the Ways Thither

The Watcher in the Porphyry Chamber

The Wisdom of Abraxas

Daemonologie of Erasmus Kant

a notebook, untitled, but signed 'M.' (Alain reports that it contains necromantic lore, much of it about spirits and attempts to reach through the Mists to conjure them.)

Rites of Zhakata

Theory and Practice of Gate Magic
by Rary of Lopolla

Notes on the History of Pont-a-Mouseau, vol. 2
by Isabeau Saimpt-Loup

Last edited by ewancummins on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat indicates on Benn's map where the house was.

"I was wondering if it's worth paying the place a visit?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THOM
arrives at the café with his man, Bastian.

The printer and his servant take up seats with the party.

Bastian nods to Sara.

SPOT DC 20, anyone who cares to roll
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

ODALL'S CAFE:
Raen would take drink a couple of cups of tea through the meeting, along with a couple of sweets or biscuits if some are available.
ewancummins wrote:He relates the details of his visit with Madam Renier.
Raen nods and pays attention. Once the Renier woman is mentioned he also casually looks around to see if any of the three card players caught the name or shows too much attention on what's being discussed.
He also introduces himself to Wat (that he doesn't know) and greets the other members.
ewancummins wrote:''Meeting a rich lady? This seems not so bad, Benn Book-man. I and Alain and some others, we spent most of the night searching an old ruined keep. It smelled evil in that place. Like the Witch-Queen's stronghold."

"We founds strange things. The lair of a beast. And books and clothes, a bedroll. But what kind of man would choose to sleep in such a dark and ill-starred pit, when there are empty houses yet in this city?"
That gets his attention. "Which witch Queen if I may ask? As for who would sleep in the lair of a beast? A man of dubious motives and agenda that doesn't want to be found easily would be my guess."

When the question on where to head is put, Raen seems conflicted. "The gypsy Seer, the place with a magical sealed portal and sigils and now the place Kat's "Admirer" was seen at. Do we have the manpower to visit all?" Then looks at Kat. "I agree with Benn, you shouldn't be alone in these conditions. So consider taking at least one more person with you whichever of these locations you want to check."
He addresses the group. "I don't think there is much to be seen in the abandoned fort but we will never know till we search. I could check the runes and sigils to see if they seem familiar somehow." Then he turns to Alain and Wat. "Could I have those books? Bennedict isn't the only scholar in this group."

Checking the book titles he nods his head. "I think I can see a pattern here. Evil guy, into diabolism, evil magic that affects things Mortals shouldn't reach for, gates and portals and lore from beyond the wall of Mists. I think our quarry seeks to leave this world and spread his evil beyond these lands. Easier said than done. That's a feat of magic that even his Majesty Azalin Rex has trouble pulling off. "
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Very troubling," Benn says, looking at the book titles. "Whether this is Matyr or not, it may be best to stake the lair out and see if the occupant returns. Someone muddling with this much dark sorcery could be causing the ash fall that we're seeing by mistake."

He continues to look at the map. "I agreed to the meeting with the Seer, and I don't intend to put off Fraulein Renier's request, but I don't expect any of you to attend with me unless you wish. Once that's done, I can rejoin the rest of you."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

WAT says to Raen,
"We did not take the books. That would have let the one who kept his lair there know we had come while he was gone."
He gulps his tea.
"How is it that you are companion to Benn Book-man and he has never told you of his fight against Wolutha the Witch-queen and her dreadful Rider-in-Iron? By what way he and Alain , Dorgio and some others came into my country, the Wood that Waits? Then you do not how the boy, Jonathon Matyr, slew a woman of the Tinkers there and cast the blame...there is much to tell. But it is better if Alain, and Benn, and the other heroes tell it. My part was very small. I only acted as a guide for a time."

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen shrugs.
"Well, so I could take a look at the books if we went there. I don't mind if our quarry finds we're into his or its stuff. I could even leave a surprise or two for him.
I have met Bennedict a while ago, but we haven't traded life-time stories and adventures to be sincere. I was hoping to catch up when this situation landed on our hands. "

In the following discussion Raen would strongly suggest the books should be retrieved and magical traps being placed in the lair. Magical knowledge of any kind shouldn't be left unattended. Magical knowledge of this kind doubly so.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

alhoon wrote:Raen shrugs.
"Well, so I could take a look at the books if we went there. I don't mind if our quarry finds we're into his or its stuff. I could even leave a surprise or two for him.
I have met Bennedict a while ago, but we haven't traded life-time stories and adventures to be sincere. I was hoping to catch up when this situation landed on our hands. "

In the following discussion Raen would strongly suggest the books should be retrieved and magical traps being placed in the lair. Magical knowledge of any kind shouldn't be left unattended. Magical knowledge of this kind doubly so.
"There is no need to disturb his lair, Raen." Thom says. "If we want those books, I can acquire copies of them or perhaps even the original manuscripts. We can look into this after this meeting, how does that sound?"
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen pauses a bit to think. "While it sounds worthwhile, it doesn't remove the books from the hands of those that would misuse this kind of knowledge. It is not just about getting my hands on the books, which could prove useful, it's also about taking them from a villain's hands.
I believe we should not shy away from "Disturbing the lair". I believe we should either trap it and wait nearby to find our man weakened or straightaway prepare an ambush there."
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"I'm not concerned about taking them away from the user. That is probably a good idea," Bennedict agrees, "I just wanted to make sure we didn't spook our quarry away before we could try and trap or intercept them."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Sara nods back at Bastian and smiles at Odelle. She remains silent while Watt tells them about the lair but gets angry with Kat.

"You were reckless Kat, what if that man has spotted you and lured you in that house? You were lucky that time but please I second the others be careful when you are out there. I can accompany you around if you want. I'm not that skilled as you but I know how to use my sword and believe me if any Gendarmes hear a gunfire they will run at the spot and maybe save our lives."

Addressing the whole group Sara continues:

"With Benn going to see the Vistani Seer, there are 6 of us left. Unless Watt and others join us of course. In any case I suggest each group to have a spellcaster, a stealthy one and if possible a fighter. Being a cleric maybe Dorgio is better suited for the lair. This is just an idea."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

WATERFRONT

Dorgio listens carefully to Alain's tale.

"So a beast, and a copy of my book? We almost have to explore further. After all, Jon can turn into a weasel easily enough--a legacy from our fight with the killer Gaston Van Dieks. And if he's reading my book..."

"There are other people we should seek out as well. If we can find any sign of Jeurgin and his imps, the would prove most useful. It seems that his imps may have some skill with tracking and finding Jon."

"And perhaps we should seek out Dennys Sancerre. If anyone has a motivation to hunt Jon down, it's him." He shakes his head. "Poor Evie. He must still want justice for his daughter's death."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Thom shakes his head in disagreement. "Chances are, those books have already been misused. My suggestion offers us a chance to get a step of head of quarry, with him being none the wiser we are on to him." He says.

Reaching into his satchel, Thom pulls out a ledger and sets it in front of him on the table. "This ledger contains information of the sales of stolen rare texts." He says, tapping the ledger with his finger. "I've yet to go through it but I am fairly certain this could lead us to what we seek."

Picking the ledger back up he places in his satchel. "As for a copy of Dorgio's book. Well, I can just have one retrieved from my library."

Dorgio listens carefully to Alain's tale.

"So a beast, and a copy of my book? We almost have to explore further. After all, Jon can turn into a weasel easily enough--a legacy from our fight with the killer Gaston Van Dieks. And if he's reading my book..."

"There are other people we should seek out as well. If we can find any sign of Jeurgin and his imps, the would prove most useful. It seems that his imps may have some skill with tracking and finding Jon."

"And perhaps we should seek out Dennys Sancerre. If anyone has a motivation to hunt Jon down, it's him." He shakes his head. "Poor Evie. He must still want justice for his daughter's death."
"Jeurgin left the city last night." Thom says. "As for Denny's Sancerre, I can look into his whereabouts."
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.