RV we love - but in which edition?

Discussing all things Ravenloft

Which edition of Ravenloft do YOU enjoy playing with?

2nd edition
29%
3rd edition
42%
3.5 edition
29%

Total votes: 38

Sunstar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

RV we love - but in which edition?

Post by Sunstar »

Fact 1: We all like playing RV.
Fact 2: 2nd Ed has the most resources
Fact 3: 3rd Ed is easier to use
Fact 4: 3.5 Ed is.... has.... well, I can't tell...

Which edition of RV do YOU enjoy playing with?

My personal favorite is 2nd Ed, but since half of my players don't know ADnD rules, we use 3rd Ed. 3.5 is out of question for me - no reason to mess things up..

Take it as a poll and share your opinion.

2nd - 3rd - 3.5 Ed?

Sunstar
...don't you cry for me, for your tears of blood will blind your eyes...
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RV we love - but in which edition?

Post by Coan »

Sunstar wrote:Fact 1: We all like playing RV.
What!?! Thats quite an assumption. I'm just here for the booze.

Edit: What does RV even mean?
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

RaVenloft no? Instead of RL
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Recently some posters have come to using RL as an abbreviation of Real Life, so RV to some makes more sense, I still abbrev Raveloft to RL though, makes more sense to me ;)

s for which edition, I started playing RL in the AD&D 2E days and I still love that edition, it may have had its faults, but they were fun faults and everything had a way around it if you had the ability toi create a few house rules. For instance:

The DM is god, worship him or get smited

Gift the DM with beer, southern comfort, cigarettes, girlfriends, bribes (not brides for a change, lol) and make him jolly, he shall smite you less

Rules Lawyers use rear entrance, you are easier to ignore there.

If the players argue, set the msomething difficult, like sharpening pencils while the ywere boxing gloves.

Ummm... okay, those were not game rule based house rules, but these are:

In the event of weight limitations with strength, ignore the rule booksand use common sense, a halfling might be able to carry another halfing and their pack, but 2 or more are required to carry a human.

If a character/creature possesses 2 or more abilities that are identical, the most powerful takes effect, they do not stack.

When the players attempt to dig through a wall of a house to escape a fire, run percentile checks to see if the wall collapses on them when it does fall.

Using Warp Wood of a guillotine the caster is stuck in will offer a 50% chance that the guillotine will still operate, even if prematurely.

I found 2E far more fun when coming up with house rules, but 3E does have its merits (such as being a generic rules set that can be used in many games without requiring the purchase of new core books for that game). Another thing to support 2E, it had adventures and lots of them. It also had kits that I still prefer to PrC's.
Swallow your soul!
midnightcat
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by midnightcat »

I started in 2nd edition Ravenloft, and currently i run a 2nd edition Ravenloft, BUT I prefer 3ed edition. I mainly run the 2nd editin for my players ,since they seem to be (well afew of them) scared of 3rd editon. I have run and played in a 3rd edition Ravenloft games but the people that played the 3rd edition games are no longer around. so, I stay with my regular group with the 2nd edition with some home rules dashed in the mix.
Shadowking
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Shadowking »

3rd edition. I downloaded some 2e material and use it for reference only, sometimes converting stuff from it. I don't like 2e since it's way too complicated, and I view 3.5 as a ripoff and don't have patience to learn the new rules (although I do use some rules like the Extraplanar subtype and the new DR system).
"To bring down the monster you have to become a monster"
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

3rd. Converting's pretty easy, and 3rd ed rules are better structured for faster play.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

2e, not even a close call. I have a few 3e sourcebooks--the new Psionics book (gotta love Psi-Crystals), the Ravenloft 3e campaign setting, and all the Gazetteers so far--and I plunder these books for creative ideas and NPCs, but we play with 2e rules. Since I was first introduced to the DnD game six years ago by a guy who (to this day) only plays with 1st Edition AD&D rules, I don't see a change in the near future.

A lot of my DM-ing style is (like my 1e friend's) really off-the-cuff, so 2e is a good fit. It's a system we all seem comfortable with--and we're poor, so we can't afford to buy a whole new edition's worth of sourcebooks. :wink:
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
― Harry Dresden
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

I prefer using 3rd edition just because it is much easier to run and use. With Ravenloft being in production again, the winning factor for second edition (more products) isn't as significant anymore. I still enjoy going through all of my older edition products, but it isn't very difficult to convert things over to a working 3rd edition version.

By the way, Sunstar, I went ahead and converted your thread into an actually poll for you. Hope that it helps!

Jason
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

3.5 - for the new damage reduction, many changes I loved (ok, there are about 2 I don't love, but anyway). I hate 2nd ed rules, restrictions, lack of a nice way to represent non-combat skills. I hate 2nd edition for all its philosophy. It's too dnd for me!
Yep, I'm a d20er who doesn't like much dnd. I don't like continuous use of dungeons and I am bored of dragons! I don't even like dwarves much! (but gnomes rock!!) - You don't have to bother with my quirks!
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

As an old 2e diehard (who's played OD&D, and 1e AD&D before that), I begrudingly admit that 3e is a cleaner and smoother system, and that's what we play in now. I like some of the 3.5 stuff and use it, but not the whole thing.

But I still use the 2e Ravenloft stuff for adventure ideas and background and convert a lot of it to 3e.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Sunstar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Sunstar »

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:By the way, Sunstar, I went ahead and converted your thread into an actually poll for you. Hope that it helps!

Jason
Sure it helps! Thank you for the iniciative and for taking such drastic measures as reconstructing the forum for users to be able creating polls!

That's what I call Total Quality Management! :)

Sunstar
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

None of the above.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Sunstar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Sunstar »

Reginald de Curry wrote:None of the above.
I guess you are a 1st ed veteran then... :!:

Or have you invented a new system...? I'd like to see that :wink:

Sunstar
Sunstar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: RV we love - but in which edition?

Post by Sunstar »

Coan wrote:Edit: What does RV even mean?
...hm...

for a villain, it should mean Rough Vigilante

for a vegetarian Ruined Vegetables (!)

for poor Victor "Run Victor!"

...as for my players, it surely means RaVenloft

an abreviation arising uneasiness anyway you see it... :twisted:

Note: RealLife RL has made me into using this abreviation over the familiar RL

Sunstar