RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away, Chapter 3

Online roleplaying at the Café
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away, Chapter 3

Post by Adam »

Bennedict smiles knowingly. "Of course. My case load is pretty full, anyways."

He fishes into the bag and pulls out a small bag of coins, tossing it to the rat man and turning to hold the door for him.

"A pleasure as always, Ignatz."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THOM THE PRINTER

Thom has just finished his morning's business affairs when the note arrives from Benn, inviting him to an afternoon meeting of serious importance.
Not a social call, but a meeting...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen's house, afternoon:
Finishing teaching Frank the Falkovnian a few things about magic, Raen takes his cloak, his component pouch and heads outside to go meet Benn. The wizard is certain it has to do about the mysterious call the Archivist got the previous night.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat has a lot to think about as she relaxes in her own, smaller house, but at last drifts off to sleep.

In the morning she reads the note with interest then goes about her business. She knows nothing of the reason for the call, though she guesses something to do with Juergen. Still, it is always wise to keep up acquaintances.

Still she can't help a slightly queasy sensation. the last errand she did with Benn was... not her favourite memory. Worth doing though. Worth doing.

Anyway, they gave her cake...

She prepares to attend as requested
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BENN'S HOUSE

EARLY AFTERNOON

Those Benn requested come to the meeting begin arriving in the early afternoon.

They find the household unsettled and busy, Benn's small family and his staff evidently engaged in preparations for travel.
But Charlotte still makes time to greet her husband's guests and get them seated in the parlor. Hornsby brings tea and honey biscuits.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict returns, shortly before the appointed meeting time. He hangs his coat and hat up carefully in the hall closet and spends some time playing with Jonas before his family leaves.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

BENN'S HOUSE

"Yes," he tells Charlotte. "Look, I am not meaning to alarm you, but leaving the city, it is probably a good idea. And the same for Lorna and Sandor. This killer, Maytr, he goes after women with beautiful hair. And Lorna...the thought of anything happening to her, or my son..."

"Take care though, Maytr is from Mordent, and may still have contacts there. You may wish to get in touch with the surviving Weatherman twin--perhaps she can help provide safety while you are abroad."

After that, he goes further into the house, looking for Benn.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict stands up from where he's playing with Jonas, tussling his hair as he walks away. He crosses the room to Dorgio, holding out his hand for a shake. "Glad you received my message, friend. Have you heard of these strange happenings going on in the Ghost Streets? Something about ash falling spontaneously?"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Sara reads the letter couple times before deciding to attend the meeting. The last night's events, Jurgin's face and tentacles are still fresh in her memory...She prepares herself better this time. She chooses to wear a more comfortable outfit, her armor under the gray cloak and of course she gets her 2 pistols and the dagger. She doesn't want to run into other surprises today...Once she is ready heads for Benn's estate.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Sara reads the letter couple times before deciding to attend the meeting. The last night's events, Jurgin's face and tentacles are still fresh in her memory...She prepares herself better this time. She chooses to wear a more comfortable outfit, her armor under the gray cloak and of course she gets her 2 pistols and the dagger. She doesn't want to run into other surprises today...Once she is ready heads for Benn's estate.

SARA hears footsteps behind her on her way to Benn's house: soft padded steps whose noise she only just makes out over the sounds of the daytime city.
When she looks back, she sees a young man following her with a pail and a blanket.
But he turns at a street corner and moves off.
A little later, closer to Benn's house, she again hears soft footfalls near her back. Checking, she sees no one there. The street looks nearly empty, unusually so for this time of day and this neighborhood near the busy riverfront.
The noise fades to nothing.
Checking around, she finds no sign of a pursuer.

She reaches Benn's house and finds her host and some others already there, talking.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Raen's house, afternoon:
Finishing teaching Frank the Falkovnian a few things about magic, Raen takes his cloak, his component pouch and heads outside to go meet Benn. The wizard is certain it has to do about the mysterious call the Archivist got the previous night.

Raen reaches Benn's house...

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE GUNSLINGER

The carriage rolls down the cobbled street. The Gunslinger relaxes as once-familiar buildings slide past in the green glass window pane.

After such a long trip, a long nap would be nice, but something feels wrong and it keeps him awake.
No, not feels. Smells.

Sniffing, the Gunsligner finds the source of the offending odor: his overstuffed valise , which rests on the seat opposite him. It exhales a faint but unmistakable stench in the confines of the passenger compartment. He hadn't noticed the stink on the deck of the keelboat, or on the open wagon ride into the city.

Smokestacks rising over the black and mountainous mills. Hot metal tang of the foundries. Teeming slums, rat-on-a-stick and the sweat of factory-serfs. Heaps of filth choking the alleys and tumbling into the turgid sewer channels.
Pools of multihued alchemical waste.
The lime pits where bones of dogs and men dissolved to make fertilizer, in white pools stirred by blind, chained workers.

The carriage rattles on, iron-rimmed wheels striking the cobbled pavement like the rolling hammers of the great forges...

Snapping out of his doze, the Gunslinger finds the carriage drawn to a halt.
The driver steps down, opens the door. The man bows slightly and lets down the steps for his passenger.
A breeze blows into the cabin, replacing the stink of the tainted luggage with the smell of baking bread.
"Monsieur Smythe, you've arrived."
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat accepts the honey and biscuits with a smile, eyes a little curious. She watches the preparations for departure without comment, and waits politely for news of what has brought her here...
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict turns as Sara and Kat enter the room, gesturing for them to join them. "Thank you for coming. I'll be waiting for the others before I get into the briefing, but have you heard anything about this phenomenon in the Ghost Streets? Ash falling, and all that?"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Benn's house
Raen knocks on the door politely and after being admitted in, he looks around at the departure preparations. He looks at his hostess and then to Benn "Are things that bad, Bennedict? Or you had the trip planned anyways?"
As Benn asks about ash falling, Raen shrugs "Yes, but I assumed it's ash from all the things the refugees burn"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!