RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away OOC

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away OOC

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:OK, Raen knows Benn, Kat and Sarah. He also knew a Falkovnian played by Tarlyn but I think he was a different one! Not sure. He has met, I think, a priest. Not sure of which one.

And also, an embarrassing admission: I think I haven't updated my character. Raen has bought spells and made a magic item that gave a bonus to sense motive. He also used some of the money to make scrolls and earned XP.
I checked the OOC thread of mists of winter and I see I haven't penned down there where he spent the money.

Ewan, do you have a list or I should fish out how much money \ XP Raen earned and buy spells \ scrolls again? The item I remember.
Better fish
it out.

But I am pretty sure he invested most of it in fixing up a house. Possibly with Franz.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Age reminders/descriptors

Charlotte looks like she is in her early thirties.

Lorna, a decade younger than that.

Benn's son, Jonas, appears to be six or seven years old.

Dorgio's son, Sandor Benedek, looks over a year, but certainly less than two years' age.
A toddler.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

What can Juergin do while everyone is talking about books?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:What can Juergin do while everyone is talking about books?

Whatever he likes.

Maybe play with the little kids?

Make conversation with someone who isn't currently discussing books? The topic has shifted somewhat, anyway. It wouldn't be rude to go off on a tangent.
Ask more about Van Richten?
Ask Lorna about Mordent-shire. As a notable town along the coast of the Sea of Sorrows, Juergin may well have visited it once or twice. Maybe several times.
Share his own story of visiting Mordentshire-by-the-Sea if he has been there.
Maybe talk about Lamordia, if he has been back there recently. Lorna mentioned wanting to visit her old home, and Benn is from Juergin's country, so a story about Lamordia would be easy enough to work in.

Juergin has probably not had so much friendly human company in recent days.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:
steveflam wrote:What can Juergin do while everyone is talking about books?

Whatever he likes.

Maybe play with the little kids? Don't want to scare them LOL

Make conversation with someone who isn't currently discussing books? The topic has shifted somewhat, anyway. It wouldn't be rude to go off on a tangent. Mebbe
Ask more about Van Richten? Nah
Ask Lorna about Mordent-shire. As a notable town along the coast of the Sea of Sorrows, Juergin may well have visited it once or twice. Maybe several times. Yes
Share his own story of visiting Mordentshire-by-the-Sea if he has been there. Mebbe
Maybe talk about Lamordia, if he has been back there recently. Lorna mentioned wanting to visit her old home, and Benn is from Juergin's country, so a story about Lamordia would be easy enough to work in.
Yes

Juergin has probably not had so much friendly human company in recent days.

Very true so this is a little new for him.

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Two quick questions before I respond IC:

Which Foxgrove twin died?

Who is Dorgio's publisher--Thom? A few adventures ago Dorgio was working on a tract about healing during combat. I'd imagine that's been released by now?
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:Two quick questions before I respond IC:

Which Foxgrove twin died?

Who is Dorgio's publisher--Thom? A few adventures ago Dorgio was working on a tract about healing during combat. I'd imagine that's been released by now?
Gennifer drowned under Chateau Delapore, after being grabbed by the vile rat-herders with the lantern eyes. Laurie survived.

Thom published for Dorgio, yes, at least in recent years. The new tract is out now if you give it a title. Maybe republished if it did well the first time.

I will allow Mike to roll a Profession check for that book. He might pick up extra coin for both of you if he rolls well.
You make a Heal check, with a possible synergy bonus from Knowledge or Profession.

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Great, here's a brief run-down of tract, all subject to DM approval, of course.

Under the Blade: Fundamentals of Combat Chirurgy

Chapter 1: Illustrations of injuries inflicted by various slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning weapons, and basic treatments for suturing wounds, setting bones, and cauterizing deep punctures. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... f_p21v.jpg

Chapter 2: Focuses specifically on barbed weapons like arrows and spears, and how to remove them while minimizing further damage.

Chapter 3: Ways to deal with mass casualties, based in part on his experiences with the shipwreck on Gauntcliff. His procedure, called "Háromféle," divides casualties into three categories (Those who will live without treatment; those who are beyond medicine or magical healing; those who might die if they don't get care). Provides tips on distinguishing between the three.

Chapter 4: Ways to dull pain in the wounded, including a description of "Sweet Oil," produced by combining alcohol with vitriolic acid. The fumes are said to be effective for putting a man to sleep, but care must be taken lest the Sweet Oil catch flame.

Chapter 5: Describes problems associated with blood loss from trauma. Gives symptoms of someone suffering exsanguination. Urges the mechanically-inclined to develop tools and techniques for transporting and storing blood.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Cool.

Make some rolls.

Shite rolls might not be insurmountable, but they will represent printing delays, problems in research, etc.

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Righto, Heal check with a +14 modifier:

[dice]0[/dice]

EDIT: So a total of 30 for the heal check, with modifiers.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

30 is good.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Thom's profession roll

[dice]0[/dice]

Edit +10, so a 23 in total
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I'm back. There is a lot to read! I will catch up tomorrow most probably.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:Thom's profession roll

[dice]227548:0[/dice]

Edit +10, so a 23 in total
solid

Dorgio's book was the only thing Thom has been able to reprint and make a healthy profit.
More books from this author might help Thom's problems might go away...

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewan, what can Juergin answer Dorgio?