RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away: Chapter 1 IC

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away: Chapter 1 IC

Post by steveflam »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:Dorgio does not visibly hesitate when he shakes Juergin's hand. "I knew of your father, and I'm sorry to hear of your mother's passing. If only better circumstances could have brought you here among us."

He turns to his wife. "Lorna, this is Juergin. He was a cabin boy on the ship that brought us to Gauntcliff. He helped us bring that monstrous spirit, Fredrick Dodds, to a proper end."

Turning to Juergin, he says, "And this is Lorna...maybe you remember her? She was on the shipped that wrecked on Gauntcliff's coast. And this," he says with a grin wide enough to show his gold tooth, "Is Sandor, our son." The child looks barely out of infancy, but stares at Juergin with the same intent green eyes as both his parents.

He goes with the others toward the parlor, and when Benn discretely whispers about Juergin's condition he replies in equally low tones: "If they ask, war wound. Got it fighting the ghosts of Gauntcliff with us. True enough."
"Hallo, unt a pleasure to see you, Frau Lorna," he bows politely and looks at Sandor. "Gut evenink, little Sandor. It is very nice to meet you too." He bows as well and winks at the little toddler.

He looks at Dorgio "Herr Dorgio, I do not partake of alchohol but, I believe it is a custom, to bring something to a hosts home when you are invited, ja?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Raen arrives at the house. The average built man, with the dark hair has left his goatee to grow somewhat, resembling more the stereotypical wizard. Appearances matter and his years in Richemulot have not converted him to the mentality of secrecy. He wears good quality dark clothes with a white shirt. He knocks the door of the address he has been given.

Hornsby admits Raen.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen gives his coat to the servant and proceeds to meet the others. "Good evening ladies and gentlemen" he says smiling. "Thank you for having us Benn" he says to his host. Then he turns to those he doesn't recognize. "I am Raen, a friend of our host" he says politely. "I am from faraway Darkon and along with some of those present here we have done some work with him."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

To Jeurgin, he leans in and says, "It is the custom yes. If you have nothing, there's no shame in that though."

He looks up when Raen enters. "Ah, good to see you here!" He introduces Raen and Jeurgin. "Jeurgin worked with us at Gauntcliff, putting a fiendish ghost to rest. Raen was with us a little more than a year ago, when we hunted a witch named Green-Teeth Jenny. I remember you putting yourself at great risk on that mission Raen. I hope you've been well since."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:To Jeurgin, he leans in and says, "It is the custom yes. If you have nothing, there's no shame in that though."

He looks up when Raen enters. "Ah, good to see you here!" He introduces Raen and Jeurgin. "Jeurgin worked with us at Gauntcliff, putting a fiendish ghost to rest. Raen was with us a little more than a year ago, when we hunted a witch named Green-Teeth Jenny. I remember you putting yourself at great risk on that mission Raen. I hope you've been well since."

Juergin smiles under his hood "Oh but I did come prepared, I haff a very fine bottle of top notch Borcan Brimbubbly wine here", he opens his vest to show Dorgio the bottle.

"I dont touch any alchohol, but I know it is a very nice gift unt Herr BEnn will appreciate it and maybe share it this evening."

He turns to Raen "Nice to haff met you, Herr Raen."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict looks around, satisfied to see the guests mingling.

He looks to Hornsby. "Perhaps we should look at starting some appetizers?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Juergin excuses himself and walks over to Benn and Hornsby.

"Her Benn, I haff a gift for you. A bottle of some very fine Borcan Brimbubbly Wine." He removes it from his vest and hands it over.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict looks around, satisfied to see the guests mingling.

He looks to Hornsby. "Perhaps we should look at starting some appetizers?"

Hornsby brings entremets, as per his master's indirect order.
The servingman brings an astringent wine for those who do not like the sweet Borcan Brimbubbly.

The guests settle in, conversation fills the house.

Baby Tilda wakes up, in her basinet down the hall, and begins wailing for her mother.
Benn's wife excuses herself while the others discuss past adventures, present business, and perhaps future plans. A moment later, she appears outside the open inner door of the parlor, cradling Tilda with her back turned to the company.
Tild stops crying.

Soon enough, Charlotte has fed the infant and given her over to the care of her nurse, a mousy teenage girl.
The hostess then returns to the parlor from the hall as Hornsby clears away the empty trays and jugs from the pre-dinner course.

"A walk in the back garden before supper?" Charlotte looks first to her husband and then her guests.
" It's lovely out, and the night-blossoms are opening. And we still do have a couple of guests expected..."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Sounds like a fine idea," Bennedict agrees, grabbing his walking stick from an umbrella stand near the door. He gestures for the others to follow and heads out.

"So, what has everyone been up to?" he says, "I'm afraid my caseload with the gendarmes has made it difficult for me to stay in touch. It's only taken eight years, but there are members who have begun to come around to the idea of investigating crimes rather than simply beating likely suspects until they confess, regardless of their guilt. I think we have our old friend Captain Tibault to thank for that. Unfortunately, they aren't particularly skilled at it yet. I'm helping them, though I confess the thought has occurred to me that I may be working my way out of a job."

Charlotte smiles, not entirely hating that particular idea.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen politely smiles to the Falkovnian. "Pleased to meet you sir." Then he turns to Bennedict. "I've been helping the Gendarmiere too, openly using magic. However, I do mostly support and little investigation. Turning guards invisible, arcane locking doors, reading thoughts of the captured suspects, that kind of thing."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

alhoon wrote:Raen politely smiles to the Falkovnian. "Pleased to meet you sir." Then he turns to Bennedict. "I've been helping the Gendarmiere too, openly using magic. However, I do mostly support and little investigation. Turning guards invisible, arcane locking doors, reading thoughts of the captured suspects, that kind of thing."
Bennedict seems intrigued by this. "Ah, yes," he says, "I'd heard some stories about that. Useful tool, this arcane magic. I've often thought how differently things could have gone in some of our earlier adventures if we'd had someone like you on hand." He comes closer, reaching into a jacket pocket and pulling free one of his business cards. "As a matter of fact, I've been looking at bringing one onto the staff of Gehrman Investigations for some time now." Out of the corner of his eyes he sees Charlotte turning to look his direction. "But let's talk about that later. I'll get in trouble if I bring up business, tonight."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen seems intrigued, but once Benn clarifies that business shouldn't be discussed tonight, he just takes the card. "We will come to that later then. Let's talk about something else then. What do you think the weather will be this time? I've seen time and again people wearing little lanterns under their coats but I still am reluctant to take up the fashion."
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Foggy and dreary as it always is, I suppose," Bennedict answers, "It seems to be an annual occurrence around this place. Perhaps we should consider it a blessing. There are parts of Pont which we would all regret being able to see more clearly." He shrugs. "Growing up in Lamordia, this all seems relatively warm to me. A heavy coat and hat are all I've ever need."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

IN THE BACK GARDEN

Despite Benn's prediction, they party going into the fenced garden behind the house finds no chill or fog. The warmth of the day lingers, cut by an intermittent cool breeze blows over the low garden wall and through the leaves of the old maple that rises over the pumpkin patch.

Charlotte smiles at her husband, looking younger in the soft evening light than in the lamp-glare of the house interior.

"I told you it was lovely out, didn't I?"

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict looks confused for a second, but the wires connect eventually. "Oh, I thought he meant how would the weather be this season. It's certainly a lovely day outside right now."