POVERO Chapter Ten

Online roleplaying at the Café
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: POVERO Chapter Ten

Post by alhoon »

Fild jumps up from his cot. "OK then."
Then he looks the man up and down. "Could we get some credentials friend? We've already been trapped once you see. No offence."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Fild jumps up from his cot. "OK then."
Then he looks the man up and down. "Could we get some credentials friend? We've already been trapped once you see. No offence."
''Credentials?"
The man shrugs. He brings his hands together over his chest and waggles his fingers in some sort of gesture the gnome doesn't recognize.

Damien stands from the cot and moves close to the builder. He whispers to the man, and the man whispers back.

After a moment, Damien turns to Fild and Alfonse.
He smiles.
"His credentials look good to me."
In a whisper too low to carry to the Watchmen at the door, Damien adds,
"He's a guildsman." He winks at the gnome.
"His guys work with doors, locks, vaults, fences, cellars, windows and all that kind of stuff. You understand?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"That sounds very good to me. I trust people that work in that line of business more these days."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:"That sounds very good to me. I trust people that work in that line of business more these days."

The 'builder' chuckles.

Damien grins.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom gets his gear and weapons and says:

"I'm ready to go as well. So the plan is to wait for the fuss and when the guards go to check it out we enter, search for Richard, get him and leave right? We will not go after Aldron tonight."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Not unless an opportunity presents itself," Alfonse says.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild nods, ready.
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

OOC
VIEW CONTENT:
OOC: after talking with other players, I think we are ready to move on.

---------

THE PARTY TRAVELS TO THE SOUTHERN FRINGE OF THE FOLBRE ESTATE, IN THE WEE HOURS OF THE MORNING...

Torches and lanterns shine here and there from the fences, thorn hedges, and masonry walls that form the long perimeter of the Folbre estate. Some of the fires move and some hang still.
As the adventurers creep closer, they see murky figures walking in the night, some revealed by the watchlights and some by moonlight glinting off metal weapons.
It might be dozens of men on foot.
Somewhere in the near distance, the sounds of neighing and hoofbeats.

And further still, lights burn in the upper windows of a black manse that rises on a low hill overlooking the vineyards, gardens, pastures, and small outbuildings of the estate: Folbre House.
It looks to be long mile from this section of the perimeter.
A road , white chalk showing against dark earth and grass in moonlight, connects the house to a gate about a quarter mile west. More lights there, and noise of armored men, horses, voices.

To reach the house from this section of the estate perimeter, the party must get past the fences and watchers at the edge of Folbre's lands, evade any traps or enemies lurking in the fields and outbuildings, and then breach the smaller wall around the house itself.
Scouting about, they have found no less patrolled section.

Gertie whispers to THOM,

"He's got a lot of men!"

DAMIEN pushed in close to his fellow, hunching to keep a low profile.
"Yeah," he whispers," A lot of men, but maybe most of them patrolling the edges. Could be the center is weaker. Unless he hired mercs we don't..."

Damien turns round and stares into the nightscape closer to the water, away from the estate.
He points out the dark rooftops of Fishtown, a suburb of the city, hard by the Bay.
"GERTIE, our friends are coming from there, right?"

The girl nods.

DAMIEN says,
"Okay. It's less distance than we had to cover on foot. Any minute now..."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"We could use my sleep spell to open a hole in their patrols," Alfonse suggests, "Assuming we don't want to save it for later."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild looks up to the wizard. He has the short sword and shield in his hands, the Arquebus in his back. "I think you should save it for later. This time we may get in without the aid of magic. Getting back out would be the tricky part, or evading the guards. In any case, do we keep our word? Or we trash the place as good as we can, even setting it on fire to delay pursuers, after we save poor Richard Savelle?"
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse smiles grimly. "Oh, I think there could certainly be a few...accidents to the house on the way out."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom smiles mischievously.

"You can bet on that."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Ruddy light flares up off in the west, at some point along or just within the fenceline.
Shouting follows, and the drumming of hooves.

DAMIEN says,
"Looks like our friends have started a fire. Let's slip through, try and get past any watchers while they are distracted."

He creeps toward the line of hedges and masonry walls that forms the estate perimeter.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

OVER THE STONE FENCE

ALFONSE and the others hear a commotion on the other side of the fence.

Alfonse tries to get over quietly, but slips and falls into a small thorn bush growing on the opposite side. His stifled cursing draws the attention of a pair of men with torches, who draw closer to investigate.

Gertie fades into the night, using the distraction Alfonse provided to protect herself.

More watchers appear, chasing Damien across the field near the inner side of the fence-line, past Alfonse. Damien nearly trips on Alfonse, but rights himself and grabs the wizard's shirt.
"Quick, signore, with me!"
He draws a dagger and moves in front of Alfonse.

The seven men close in, five pulling clubs from their belts while the other two lift their torches a bit higher for a good look at the intruders.

Thom and the others clamber over the wall to find Alfonse and Damien facing seven men in padded armor, with torches and clubs.

Gertie lurks a little distance behind the guards--and they give no indication of having spotted her.
As Sixt and the gnome plop down, one of the seven men glances their way.
"Rotgrubs! We've got more company!"

Gertie shifts her position just enough to avoid being seen by Folbre's goons.