Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO Chapter Nine

Post by ewancummins »

Another three persons enter the room.

One is Trea Holbin, Elissa's cousin.
She wears a fashionable dress.

https://pin.it/pftzf7mtgdawit

The other two look like servants or lower class types; a portly man and his middle-aged wife or companion.

http://pin.it/dlGr-Cf

TREA HOLBIN sits, appearing relaxed and confident.

The two others stand nearby, inspecting the floor with downcast glances and shuffling in place.
A small white bird tied to the man's clothes coos and flaps its wings.
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

Before the lady and couple entered the room, the gentleman was able to add, "Sorry to disappoint, but the sergeant must have referred to someone else who should be arriving shortly. I have been to the Folbre estate a time or two, but that was with an old colleague of mine many years ago, and I do not remember much."

When the before mentioned company arrived, Lowen rose from his chair in a polite manner, and ran a hand through his dusky brown beard as if by habit. "You must be the associates we have been waiting for. Sorry to ask of your attendance at such an early hour." Walking over to side of the table they approached, the gentleman pulled back the three chairs closest to the head seat on his side. "My name is Lowen, and I just arrived a few moments ago."

Looking over at the other attendees at the table, the gentleman nodded to them with the intent that they introduce themselves, as well.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild looked over the Lowen when he arrived and gave him a court nod.
When the Hoblin woman arrived he made a clumsy little bow and told her "Good morning lady Hoblin. How is your cousin? How did she take news of Richard Savelle missing?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

TREA HOLBIN says,

"Most of you know who I am, but for those who don't, I am Trea Holbin. My father is Master Holbin's younger brother, and so Elissa is my cousin. Most of the party here have met her, since most of you are part of the gang that abducted her under false pretenses."
She lifts a hand.
"Don't fret--I believe your claim that you were yourselves deceived by Aldron Folbre. I never did trust him. He's ambitious and clever, but it's more than that. There's something odd about the way he changes his speech and mannerisms so quickly, shifting to reflect the present company, whatever it might be. He was not so smooth when he was younger, so I almost think he's taken acting lessons. "
Glancing at Fild, she adds,
"Elissa is worried about Richard. For her sake, as well as for his and for peace among the families, I hope you find him soon."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom introduces himself and the other party members.

"I'm really sorry for your cousin's abduction Lady Hoblin, we were indeed decieved but tried our best to keep Lady Elissa save and now we plan to find Richard and if possible stop this madness. A war between factions is never good for what I know. May you please tell us something more about Aldron Folbre? I have seen him fighting and is a good fighter. Shifting his speech might be more dangerous though. Do you know if he can alter people opinion and suggest them to do things? Does he have friends or people that worship him and are under a spell?"
Last edited by VAN on Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Tom introduces himself and the other party members.

"I'm really sorry for your cousin's abduction Lady Hoblin, we were indeed decieved but tried our best to keep Lady Elissa save and now we plan to find Richard and if possible stop this madness. A war between factions is never good for what I know. May you please tell us something more about Aldron Folbre? I have seen him fighting and is a good fighter. Shifting his speechr might be more dangerous though. Do you know if he can alter people opinion and suggest them do things? Does he have friends or people that worship him and are under a spell."

TREA HOLBIN says,
"Sorcery? Hmmm...it's possible. A mage used to visit Folbre House years ago, and I have heard that Aldron's late father, the old Master Folbre, was interested in using magic to gain an edge is business affairs. I'm not sure how. As for Aldron, I don't think I have seen anyone worship him. But fear? Yes. Be influenced by? Certainly."

Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

Walking back to his seat after hearing what was just said, Lowen seemed worried.

Adding to the conversation with a hesitant attitude, the gentleman said, "It just so happens, when I was about a decade or so younger, my master and I visited Folbre Manor. I dare say the correlation would be unfortunate if suspicions of my mentor and he became truth."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Metaflux wrote:Walking back to his seat after hearing what was just said, Lowen seemed worried.

Adding to the conversation with a hesitant attitude, the gentleman said, "It just so happens, when I was about a decade or so younger, my master and I visited Folbre Manor. I dare say the correlation would be unfortunate if suspicions of my mentor and he became truth."
"Oh? It might indeed have been your master and you."

Trea Holbin shrugs.

"But POVERO is a large city; one can find numerous sorcerers, astrologers, necromancers, and alchemists. The trick is to tell the authentic ones from the phonies. "

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse has been listening carefully this whole time, paying particular attention to this new wizard who has entered the room, but ultimately looks back to Miss Holbin. "Be that as it may," he says, "I think it would be best to ask how you think we should proceed. Do you wish us to enter Folbre house in force? Do you think we should stake the place out for some amount of time? Perhaps we could get the watch to search the place for any sign of Richard Savelle?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Alfonse has been listening carefully this whole time, paying particular attention to this new wizard who has entered the room, but ultimately looks back to Miss Holbin. "Be that as it may," he says, "I think it would be best to ask how you think we should proceed. Do you wish us to enter Folbre house in force? Do you think we should stake the place out for some amount of time? Perhaps we could get the watch to search the place for any sign of Richard Savelle?"
TREA HOLBIN says,
''The Watch won't intervene directly. They have gone far enough extending cooperation as they've done. If someone breaks into Folbre House, that will have to be either Holbin forces, Savelle forces, or private persons. That means you."
She looks about at the party.
"If you burgle the place--and that does seem like the best course to me-- I suggest you gather whatever information you can, first. In aid of that, I've brought along Master Folbre's cook and laundress."

She indicates the large man with the little bird tied to his shirt.

The man shifts in place, casting nervous glances toward the nearest door.

"Holbin guards detained these two while they were trying to get back to their master's estate today. Whatever Folbre is planning, they claim ignorance of it. It seems unlikely to me he'd allow his staff out in the town if they knew anything of his plans. In any event, the two have a good idea of the layout of the house, routines, and all that. I've got a man working on a map of the house and grounds for you, informed by their account. Perhaps you can get more out of these servants. "

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild, shakes his head. He clearly doesn't like the fact that these people were detained for no reason other than being serving the wrong lord at the wrong time.
He addresses the cook and his wife. "Welcome. Do you want to be here, or you're being coerced? We don't like your employer but that's no reason to mistreat honest folk that work for him. I don't know what others think, highborn or low class, but I don't plan to impose on your sense of duty, misplaced as it may be.

To be frank, your boss is probably a double-crossing viper that wanted to start a bloody mess for his benefit. If you want to help us we will welcome the help. If not, and you want to go back to the estate, then I will respect your decision although unfortunately for you I am not the one calling the shots here. In case you choose to return to your Lord, and the others agree to let two honest, hard-working people do as they please, perhaps you could give him a message from us.
Your help to understand the estate of your Lord would be very useful to us and perhaps we could offer you part of our reward for your help if you decide to help."

Then he turns to the mages. "These two people have done nothing wrong. I suggest we treat them as we would like to be treated and not bully them."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Fild, shakes his head. He clearly doesn't like the fact that these people were detained for no reason other than being serving the wrong lord at the wrong time.
He addresses the cook and his wife. "Welcome. Do you want to be here, or you're being coerced? We don't like your employer but that's no reason to mistreat honest folk that work for him. I don't know what others think, highborn or low class, but I don't plan to impose on your sense of duty, misplaced as it may be.

To be frank, your boss is probably a double-crossing viper that wanted to start a bloody mess for his benefit. If you want to help us we will welcome the help. If not, and you want to go back to the estate, then I will respect your decision although unfortunately for you I am not the one calling the shots here. In case you choose to return to your Lord, and the others agree to let two honest, hard-working people do as they please, perhaps you could give him a message from us.
Your help to understand the estate of your Lord would be very useful to us and perhaps we could offer you part of our reward for your help if you decide to help."

Then he turns to the mages. "These two people have done nothing wrong. I suggest we treat them as we would like to be treated and not bully them."

The cook says,
"Please, we want to go home. I swear I don't know anything I didn't already tell. Nothing about the young signore of the Savelles, except that he is friends with my Master and comes and goes sometimes. And like I told the Holbin guards, I don't know about what's going on there right now or last night, anyway. The Master gave me and my wife have a two day break. We were just coming back from it when we got snatched up."

The man's wife, the laundress, rubs her hands together and bobs her head.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild frowns and appeals to Trea Hoblin. "Lady Hoblin, these two people have done you or your house nothing wrong. They are loyal to their employer as your servicemen are to you. Whether that man will protect them as he should, is doubtful but their loyalty is a good trait. They are completely innocent people that were caught in something they don't understand, brought here against their will by people with weapons and armor and forced to go against their convictions.

You already got what we need from them. They are already in danger since I am not sure their lord's armed and armored men will excuse the circumstances under which they already told us what they did. Your family is a great one my lady, one of the greatest in the city. Shouldn't a scion of such a prestigious family, like yourself, consider what is best for the simple and common folk that look up to you for guidance and protection?"
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Fild frowns and appeals to Trea Hoblin. "Lady Hoblin, these two people have done you or your house nothing wrong. They are loyal to their employer as your servicemen are to you. Whether that man will protect them as he should, is doubtful but their loyalty is a good trait. They are completely innocent people that were caught in something they don't understand, brought here against their will by people with weapons and armor and forced to go against their convictions.

You already got what we need from them. They are already in danger since I am not sure their lord's armed and armored men will excuse the circumstances under which they already told us what they did. Your family is a great one my lady, one of the greatest in the city. Shouldn't a scion of such a prestigious family, like yourself, consider what is best for the simple and common folk that look up to you for guidance and protection?"
Trea shoots the gnome an impatient look.
"Obviously, I don't wish them to be harmed. But I'm not convinced letting them run back to Master Folbre and warn him is a risk we should take. I'd like to hear the counsel of your leader, Alfonse, before I make a decision."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse shrugs. "She's not wrong, Fild. There's nothing stopping these two from warning him we're coming. Of course, he'd be a fool not to already expect it, and their failure to return to work could be as much of a warning, so perhaps the damage is done. In any case, I don't want to see them harmed or detained from their families. Could Holbin estate see to their accommodations until this matter is resolved?"

He addresses the staff with a series of questions, waiting for their response before asking the next. "When was the last time you saw Richard Savelle? Can you draw us a map of the estate and let us know where his guards are stationed? With whom did the lord meet in the day prior to your vacation?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."