POVERO Chapter Six

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO Chapter Six

Post by steveflam »

Gertie keeps to the front, eyes scanning for signs of the other party.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

AT THE DANCING MAIDENS

steveflam wrote:Gertie keeps to the front, eyes scanning for signs of the other party.
Raised grassy mounds and several upright plinths block some areas from sight, but GERTIE gets the best look she can without making a full transit of the circle or actually stepping inside.
She spots a man in a cloak standing half-concealed by one of the upright stones of the Dancing Maidens.
The man bends out of view, and then steps back into sight with a burning torch lifted in its right hand.

Elissa steps toward the circle. She turns back and looks at GERTIE, whispering,
"It's Richard! I see his family badge."

GERTIE, Thom, and Alfonse can see the crest, a large silver owl embroidered on the man's cloak. He holds the torch to display it.

Another set of men step instead view. One wears the simple brown robes of a poor cleric, possibly a wandering friar.
The others wear cloaks and domino masks.

Elissa steps into the circle, moving through a gap between mounds.

But just as Elissa enters, GERTIE hears a noise and looks behind the group. She sees two men with blackened blades coming out from behind trees.

The friar and the two cloaked men near the figure Elissa says is Richard suddenly rush the girl. They grab at her, but she jerks away and screams.
Owl Cloak himself darts behind a standing stone, out of sight.

The swordsmen coming from the flanks do not parley, but simply attack.
GERTIE jerks back from a sword thrust just in time to save her life, catching a scratch on her face instead of getting decapitated.

Gem leaps at Thom, barking, and knocks him sideways just as crossbow bolts whizz from across the top of one of the mounds-- two more foes.

The party is totally surrounded and under attack.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom looks around perplexed for a second but everything gets clear when they are attacked.

"It's an ambush! Lady Elissa run! Gertie come by my side so the archers can't shoot."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gertie sighs. She reluctantly goes to Thom's side, worried about Lady Elissa and what might happen to her. She grabs her whip and attempts to keep at bay

an attacker, not harm him.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Tom looks around perplexed for a second but everything gets clear when they are attacked.

"It's an ambush! Lady Elissa run! Gertie come by my side so the archers can't shoot."
ELISSA turns and runs.
The false friar and the two men in domino masks chase her-- but in their clumsy haste they collide, tripping and flailing as they all pitch to the ground in a heap. Elissa races out of sight.

Closer to the team, Gem leaps and snarls , biting the swordsmen who attacks Thom. The man screams as the dog clamps its jaws on his thigh.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Seeing no point fighting that many enemies Tom decides that is better flee and stay with Elissa.

"Guys run! We cannot outfight them and more are coming!

Tom runs after Gertie and Elissa.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

IN THE PARK

The party withdraws after Elissa, weapons raised to ward off the oncoming swordsmen.

The villains regroup and give chase. But Elissa and her friends outpace the ambushers, running away into the park.Gem streaks ahead, running near Elissa.

Soon the shouts and footfalls of the enemies drop off and fade into the night. The little group rushes on through gardens full of night-blooming flowers and marble statues, past old memorials, and into a wooded acre.

Hiding spots abound, and the adventurers see several possible escape routes from this area.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Lady Elissa do you know the way to Lord ALdron's estate from here?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:"Lady Elissa do you know the way to Lord ALdron's estate from here?"

Elissa coughs. She leans forward, gasping for breath. After a moment, she straightens.
"Aldron Folbre? Why, err, yes. I know where the Folbres live. But why would we go there? Because he's Richard's friend? "

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

IN THE ALLEY

FILD and TITUS have attempted to bluff the three Holbin guardsmen, but to no avail.

The men advance in the dark, dead end alley, swords raised.

Then one pitches forward, falling flat on his face.

A dim figure rears up behind the fallen man, something black gripped in its right fist.
"Leg it, comrades!"
VIEW CONTENT:
It's Damien!
The other two guardsmen seem surprised. One spins to face the mugger and the other moves to protect the KOed man.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Gertie, we were ambushed by assassins! There was a false priest and swordsnen with Richard insignia. Someone betrayed us.. I'm sorry but I trust nobody outside our small group right now. I prefer we go to hide at the tunnel we were yesterday and then decide what to do. Nobody will search us there."

Turning to Elissa he says:

"I'm sorry for all that, we tried our best to get you married with your beloved Richard. But I guess you have more enemies than we thought. We will still try to do it though but we might need more time."
Last edited by VAN on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- W H A T ! ? !
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE PARK, AFTER ESCAPING THE AMBUSH
VAN wrote:"Gertie, we were ambushed by assassins! There was a false priest and swordsnen with Richard insignia. Someone betrayed us.. I'm sorry but I trust nobody outside our small group right now. I prefer we go to hide at the tunnel we were yesterday and then decide what to do. Nobody will search us there."

Turning to Elissa he says:

"I'm sorry for all that we tried our best to get you married with your beloved Richard. But I guess you have more enemies than we thought."
Elissa says,
"I don't understand what is going on, but I can see you were betrayed by whoever is behind all this. Those men were going to kill you."
She looks about, searching among the dark trees on all sides.
"As soon as I can, I want to return to Holbin House. My family will protect me. But if you go back with me, the guards might kill you before I can explain. So for now, I will go with you."

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"We will take you there then just not immediately. We aren't safe yet. There is a cabin with food, water and a hidden tounel. My plan is stay there for the night and tomorrow we will take you near your Estate and then we will leave. Your guards will see you coming and you will be protected."
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

VAN wrote:"We will take you there then just not immediately. We aren't safe yet. There is a cabin with food, water and a hidden tounel. My plan is stay there for the night and tomorrow we will take you near your Estate and then we will leave. Your guards will see you coming and you will be protected."

"What if we hide in the tunnels and one of us go find Richard?"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

IN THE ALLEY

Fild is happy to take the chance to escape!
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!