POVERO Chapter Three

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO Chapter Three

Post by ewancummins »

Aldron waits for the flurry questions and comments to die down, and then says,

"Yes, those families. No, not minor branches. Richard is the Savelle heir and Elissa is the daughter of old Master Holbin himself. And, yes, the Holbins and Savelles have slid from rivalry into a bitter feud that is causing serious problems. Not only for Richard and Elissa along with their respective families, but also for my house, and indeed for Povero. So this job isn't just about helping my friend Richard, though that would be reason enough. It will also protect the interests of all three great families and of the city itself.The gnome has the correct idea. I want you to help Elissa elope with Richard. It may cause a minor scandal, but such a legal union would compel the Holbins and Savelles to negotiate with one another. I can broker the deal, if necessary. In any case, with the marriage blessed by a priest of the city and registered, it will be binding in full and cannot be set aside or just ignored. Both Richard and Elissa are old enough that they can do this. Master Holbin won't make things worse by trying to negate the contract-- it would call into question all his other contracts. He is very proud but hardly stupid. Some further considerations..."

He paces the floor as he outlines his points.
" First, it has to be soon. Elissa's father has been talking of marrying her off, for he knows of her love for Richard. What's saved us thus far is that he can't decide on which of the set of fat old moneybags who are bidding for his daughter's hand should gain it. So there's no engagement announced, and thus no honor lost if it's broken, but even a few more days could ruin everything..."

"Second, Elissa is under close watch, almost always with a servant and when out on the town, guards. Her family may be worried that she'll sneak off to see her lover--they have done so in the past but both their families have made this very hard for them. Impossible now, without outside help. Your help. You will have to get close to her, at home, out shopping, whatever, and take her to the rendezvous."

"Third, this must be done with a minimum of violence. Under no conditions should Elissa be harmed! You won't need to compel her, of course, because with a token and note from Richard, she will certainly go with you. I wouldn't even consider you for this work if I thought you might harm my best friend's beloved. But you should also avoid harming her servants, and any bystanders. If one of you must knock out or injure a guard, well, I will be happy to slip some ducats into the man's purse later, through a third party."

He pauses to sip wine.

"Fourth, leave my name out of this. If you get into trouble, I can help you much better if our association remains discrete. If everything works out and the lovers are united in marriage, I'll still need some distance from the elopement in order to handle the talks between the houses. They all know I'm friends with Richard, so we can't have me tied to the elopement. "

He looks around the room and then settles his gaze on Alfonse.

"Two of your party came to my aid for no expectation of reward. You've since helped me a second time for pay. What do you think of a third time with a larger guerdon to suit the greater risk, urgency, and delicacy of the task? I will pay each one of you 100 ducats for what should be the work of a day and night. And 50 more apiece if you accomplish it with a minimum of violence."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild eyes show he suddenly believes in true love. About the time Aldon mentions 100 ducats each. Then he eyes Tom. Suspiciously. "50 ducats for minimum violence..."
Then he turns to Titus "Are you ordained to perform weddings? That would simplify the task a lot..."

Then he sits back tasting the fine beverages of the establishment allowing the cleric and the wizard to hammer out details. "I need to buy new boots for the wedding" he mutters to himself, not loud enough to interfere with discussions.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom thinks for a moment and gets a sip of his wine. This situation is actually intriguing him plus will consolidate a powerful ally.

"I know that Mr Alfonse is the leader of our group, but I think I might have a solution even if it will be against your number 4 rule...First we need to do whatever it takes to register Titus so he can perform the wedding. I'm sure a man at your status Master Foelbre can make this happen. Then we should arrange a huge fight between Elissa and Richard, with Elissa saying that her father was right and she doesn't want to see Richard again. This will give us more time and the watch will not be so close. Then I come to you Master Foelbre, you need to play it in love with Elissa, say that you were always loving her but due to respect to Richard never acted on it it. I'm sure Master Hoblin likes you and your family and for sure you will be way better candiate than the other aristocrats. So he will have no problem letting Elissa going out with you and will also try to arrange the marriage as fast as he can so Elissa doesn't change her mind...This will give us time to register Titus as I said or if that isn't possible to find another priest happy to do the marriage. Now at the wedding day Richard will dress up like you, maybe wear a helm or something so he doesn't get immediately recognized and head to the church to meet Elissa. Everyone will think that he is marrying you Master Aldron but she will marry Richard instead and hopefuly they will live forever happy."

Tom gets another sip of his wine and adds:

"If you believe that is better for you to not get involved then we should find someone else that Master Hoblin will like and is happy to marry his daughter. If is someone that looks like Richard even better. What do you think?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"It would help if it is known in advance where Elissa and Richard are on any given day is all I have to add. They should both be made aware of this plan so there is

no surprise on their part when it "happens""
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Aldron says,

"A public row won't work. Those sorts of games have played out. And the guards and servants of both houses have been charged with keeping Richard and his lady love apart, so getting them in the same spot just circles back to the job I want to hire you to perform. We've run out of options. If you are interested in helping Richard and Elissa then accept the task and I will provide you with what notes and maps I've put together to aid you. If the cause or the reward don't suit you, well, you can swear secrecy and depart. "

He sits down.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild thinks and turns to Alfonse "I suggest we try this." he says. "Young people are young people first and traditions and family hate are secondary to that."

Then he turns to Aldron.
"You mentioned a "day and a night" work. I hope that's a way of speaking and not the actual time frame to arrange a bloodless abduction of two prominent nobles from their families that expect exactly that. Or at least the time we would have available after the heirs disappear. After the boulder starts rolling from the mountaintop as we say. It's an old gnome saying from the time we had to face kobolds and goblinoids with clever traps. One would put the trap in motion, betraying his position to the enemy and had to retreat fast..." Fild says before he realizes he's again diverging from the topic.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Fild thinks and turns to Alfonse "I suggest we try this." he says. "Young people are young people first and traditions and family hate are secondary to that."

Then he turns to Aldron.
"You mentioned a "day and a night" work. I hope that's a way of speaking and not the actual time frame to arrange a bloodless abduction of two prominent nobles from their families that expect exactly that. Or at least the time we would have available after the heirs disappear. After the boulder starts rolling from the mountaintop as we say. It's an old gnome saying from the time we had to face kobolds and goblinoids with clever traps. One would put the trap in motion, betraying his position to the enemy and had to retreat fast..." Fild says before he realizes he's again diverging from the topic.

"I've made certain preparations and arrangements, so the foundation has already been laid. I can't release this information until I know if your party accepts my offer."
He lays one hand on the papers before him.
"But I am quite sure you will find it extremely useful. Time is short, but I have schedules, descriptions, a map. Things gathered from previous attempts to arrange rendezvous and pass messages between Richard and Elissa. Oh, and you may be confused on one point, Fild. You only need to seperate Elissa from her minders and bring her to a certain place around a certain time. I will help Richard. "

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"I've made certain preparations and arrangements, so the foundation has already been laid. I can't release this information until I know if your party accepts my offer."
He lays one hand on the papers before him.
"But I am quite sure you will find it extremely useful. Time is short, but I have schedules, descriptions, a map. Things gathered from previous attempts to arrange rendezvous and pass messages between Richard and Elissa. Oh, and you may be confused on one point, Fild. You only need to seperate Elissa from her minders and bring her to a certain place around a certain time. I will help Richard. "
"If we are successful, I would like to discuss with you my payment, Lord Aldron. it will not be in form of coin or note. I am sure a man of your means can help me with what I wish."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"Won't that draw suspicion directly to you lord Foeble, once the marriage is discovered? The two parties may have to sit and negotiate but you may have to evade assassins for some time. Humans are a notoriously proud bunch that hate to be hood-winked and seem to think that violence is the answer to wounded pride." Fild says before remembering he's in the presence of a human majority "Present company excluded of course!"

"Anyway, I think we should help Lord Foeble's friends Alfonse. It's about time we did something good and proper."
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:"Won't that draw suspicion directly to you lord Foeble, once the marriage is discovered? The two parties may have to sit and negotiate but you may have to evade assassins for some time. Humans are a notoriously proud bunch that hate to be hood-winked and seem to think that violence is the answer to wounded pride." Fild says before remembering he's in the presence of a human majority "Present company excluded of course!"
"Assassins?"
He laughs.
"No, that isn't a concern. In the worst case, a scandal could erupt that harms my business. I might be challenged to a duel, but I can handle a sword as well as any of my likely opponents. I am not worried about being murdered. The Savelle and Holbin elders have been blinded by hate, but they aren't evil. And of course I have weighed the risks before coming to this plan. I am willing to take chances to help Richard and Elissa. What I need to know, soon, tonight, is this: are you willing to take the job and the risks it entails? Or do I need to find more adventurous souls for the task? I can't afford to wait till tomorrow for an answer, and I'm increasing my risks by sharing this much before you have accepted. You may discuss this as you need. I'll be back in a few minutes."

With that, he picks up the papers and steps to the door, pausing to make eye contact with Alfonse and nod at him, before leaving.
Aldron shuts the door.

The party has the private room to itself.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

As soon as the door closes, Fild says
"Is anyone against getting 2 pounds of gold each, to try and help two good people?
Foeble's motives seem pure enough to me... Let's not waste time and make Lord Foeble think we have reservations about getting that job. Because, frankly, I have not.
What do you think?" he addresses mainly Alfonse and Titus but the question goes to everyone.
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:As soon as the door closes, Fild says
"Is anyone against getting 2 pounds of gold each, to try and help two good people?
Foeble's motives seem pure enough to me... Let's not waste time and make Lord Foeble think we have reservations about getting that job. Because, frankly, I have not.
What do you think?" he addresses mainly Alfonse and Titus but the question goes to everyone.
Damien says,
"It seems dicey. But the price is right. I'll go with what Alfonse decides--he's the smartest of us all."

He then takes out a deck of cards and sets up a solitaire game, while the others discuss matters...

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gertie stretches and finished her juice. She stands and takes the last of the cheese from her plate, popping it in her mouth.

Finished chewing, she looks around the place, then everyone else. "Well," she says as she walks around, "I'm all for helping out Lord Aldron's "friends"." She accentuates "friends" with two fingers of

each hand slashing down slightly on each side of her. "I'm willing to help out. The money doesn't interest me in the slightest. Living in my own place does, however. I'll help out, though I am no thug

or fan of violence. So, if it's just the same to you guys, no killing or head shots, please. I''m referring to last nights debacle. I don't care about love and that bullshit, or any etiquette crap, to be

perfectly honest. If Mister Aldron choses to really address only Alfonse, and treat the rest of us like we don't exist, well ok. At least now I really know where I stand with him."

She stops and looks at everyone.

"I'll help. But after that, if he wants me to help out, he has to acknowledge all of us as people, not just one of us."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Damien looks up from his cards as Gertie finishes.
He cocks an eyebrow and grins.
Then he returns his attention to laying out the cards.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:Damien looks up from his cards as Gertie finishes.
He cocks an eyebrow and grins.
Then he returns his attention to laying out the cards.
Gertie grins back. She moves to sit with him and says "Show me how to play cards."