Re: DM's Guild releases

Post by Caffinicus »

Excellent work on this. Love this book!
TwiceBorn Reborn
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by TwiceBorn Reborn »

Has anyone here purchased either or both of these two volumes? If yes, what did you think of the quality? https://www.dmsguild.com/product/389818 ... 0zqkYHbGkk
FiranDarcalus
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by FiranDarcalus »

TwiceBorn Reborn wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:43 am Has anyone here purchased either or both of these two volumes? If yes, what did you think of the quality? https://www.dmsguild.com/product/389818 ... 0zqkYHbGkk
So I bought a couple of them as individual volumes when they were only letting them out as separate domain guides. I liked it. Nothing really new added; mostly updated from 2/3ed stuff into 5th edition. But I liked it. It's cool that they put it all into two large volumes. I might actually buy it.

The Darklord pics are not great, however. Some of them look like they were drawn by a really bad high school art student. But the content is great. It's basically keeping true to 2nd/3ed Ravenloft Core setting and adding a few things from 5th ed and even fan made stuff from DM's Guild.

Example, Barovia is true to 2nd/3ed vibe, but adds some of the 5th ed stuff (Old Bonegrinder, etc) & DM's Guild stuff like Beast of Graenseskov. These folks really did their research to be honest. I wish this was what WOTC had done for VRGtR
TwiceBorn Reborn
Conspirator
Conspirator

Thanks for sharing your impressions, FiranDarcalus.

I may have to save my pennies to order hardcopies someday.
Caffinicus
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Caffinicus »

Picked up volume 1 a couple days ago. A lot to go through, but I'm loving it so far. One of the coolest things is that they have included histories and statblocks for every known darklord, past or present, for every domain!
TwiceBorn Reborn
Conspirator
Conspirator

Caffinicus wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:50 pm Picked up volume 1 a couple days ago. A lot to go through, but I'm loving it so far. One of the coolest things is that they have included histories and statblocks for every known darklord, past or present, for every domain!
Nice! I'm usually more concerned about quality over quantity, but sounds like thumbs up all around so far.

Are you spotting many spelling errors or typos?
Caffinicus
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Caffinicus »

A few, but not too many.
Mistfactor Press
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Mistfactor Press »

:azalin: [link url]www.dmsguild.com/product/389818/Van-Ric ... _id=826634[/url] :azalin:

"The Mists Surround You… Running through a familiar forest, mist rises up around you, and suddenly you’re “elsewhere”. The forest seems the same, but different in a thousand little ways. The branches of the trees block the meager light of the setting sun, casting dark shadows along the ground. You must escape the forest’s embrace before nightfall. And are those footsteps following you? Adventure in lands crying out for heroes, where horrors rule both night and day. Inside this eternal prison of the damned, the forces of good rarely win, and it is a constant struggle to maintain any semblance of justice, good, or even simple humanity and mercy."

What is this?
From the creator of the Real Devil Strahd CR 27, comes an encyclopedia of almost 800 pages of Ravenloft lore shared between two volumes! Explore every domain and struggle against new creatures that crawl the mists. Within, you will find stats for every Darklord, new items, spells, and everything you will ever need to run a Ravenloft Campaign in any of the domains.

In Van Richten’s Encyclopedia, explore the Domains of the Northern and Southern Cores, sail the Domains of the Eastern and Western Seas, and venture to the Wandering Domains. Enter the Clusters of Ravenloft, visit the Isles of Terror that aimlessly float in the mists, and get lost in Gothic Earth where all the mythologies and spook stories are real. Face evils beyond your darkest reckoning from The Devil Strahd to the brutish walking cadaver of Lamordia, Adam. Struggle against new creatures that crawl the mists. Within, you will find stats for every Darklord, new items, spells, and everything you will ever need to run a Ravenloft Campaign.

Find it at the link below:
[link url]www.dmsguild.com/product/389818/Van-Ric ... _id=826634[/url]
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Mistfactor Press wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:35 am
Find it at the link below:
Good but... the link above doesn't work. The first link works.

Anyway, while I don't have said product, I wish you all success here. There work undertaken to make such a product and provide hardcover too, must have been monumental. That alone speaks of your dedication to the setting.
I love the retro font style (From the previews on DMGuild), that I am used to and I like what I see. Frankly, I would suggest to FotS people that want to buy Ravenloft material for friends to use it.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
kourkenko
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by kourkenko »

Mistfactor Press wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:35 am Find it at the link below:
So i bought the two and i can already say it's an impressive work. It is for a 5th edition Ravenloft a lot better than what WotC did. It is a work of love, dedication and passion and i hope it will sold a good number of copies because you deserve it. I don't like the WotC 5th Ravenloft because they deconstructed everything that made the setting any other thing than "a week end in hell", which was the weakest time of the setting in term of writting and narrative. The old 2nd edition black box gave us a Core, a timeline and "Domains of Dread" gave players the opportunity to play a native. Everything was erased in the official 5th edition so lost yourself in the mist, drop in a domain, discover who is the darklord and kick it. Back in the week end in hell time period.

Your product took what made the "classic" ravenloft great, puts almost every material that has been officially published in front of the reader and let him decide what he wants to do with it.
The good (lot of things ! A BIIIG lot) as the Red Death, the Isle of Midnight and several others i never expected to see again.
And the bad, very little but I'Cath is the only thing i find better in 5th edition than in your books and Risibilos... Yeah, it's back... i would advice to use the Fraternity netbook for it. But you assembled almost everything that was officialy published accross all editions.

I've several little points to adress. First the artworks for some of the darklords are underwhelming but you already knows that so i will not lose time on it.
The second thing is the writing itself. You presented it as an ecyclopedia and it is stricly that, raw data. In my opinion, it lacks a little mysteries. I will use for example Bluetspur, now located on the moon (which is a good idea), i would put the Lovecraft's quote you use in action: the God Brain control a part of the moon but not all of it, their are things so old, strange or powerful it can't control them and must keep them at bay because they could makes its kingdom crumble. Let the DM's imagination run wild ^^. Or perhaps put some old and obscures references to the "ones that came before", the domains that were present in the mist before Barovia (their only official references appeared in "Neither man nor beast").
And the last one, yes i know i'm nitpicking, you missed a darklord.

To finish, your books are great and deserve praise. They are great products.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I've been meaning to ask for a while now, but... what exactly is DMs Guild and how does it work? Do I understand correctly that you can present fanmade material there without incurring the wrath of lawyers? And if so: how so?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:18 pm I've been meaning to ask for a while now, but... what exactly is DMs Guild and how does it work? Do I understand correctly that you can present fanmade material there without incurring the wrath of lawyers? And if so: how so?
You don't incur the wrath of lawyers because you pay WotC 10% of what you make.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
TwiceBorn Reborn
Conspirator
Conspirator

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:18 pm I've been meaning to ask for a while now, but... what exactly is DMs Guild and how does it work? Do I understand correctly that you can present fanmade material there without incurring the wrath of lawyers? And if so: how so?
Here's the "how so": https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/c ... nformation
Sith
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Sith »

This is my humble contribution to Ravenloft setting adventures: In Remembrance of Claudia!
I tried to set up a real gothic feel in this.
This adventure is set in Darkon, 3rd edition setting, 5th edition rules!
Enjoy and let me know if you like it!

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/384394 ... 5359_0_0_0

A Gothic Adventure of love, death, and tragic obsession.

by Igor Comunale

“The death of a beautiful woman is, unquestionably, the most poetical topic in the world.”

- Edgar Allan Poe

a 4 hour adventure for 4th level characters

Can love survive to death?

In the Land of Mists that's possible, even if the resul rarely could ever be the hoped one. Ravenloft, D&D gothic fantasy setting is loved by many Dungeon Masters and Players. Prepare for a dark journey through the abyss of the mind, where love, obsession and death resides together.

An old friend's invite to a new wax museum exposition transforms itself readly in a nightmare when mysterious murders hit the city.

In this adventure you'll find:

- A story with exquisitely gothic atmosphere

- Almost 4 hours of intense immersion in the Ravenloft setting

- An exclusive color map in DM's version and in Players' version

- Nostalgia, regret, love, obsession and desire of al Gothic villain never seen before

- Combat reduced to minimum and total involvement in the history and motivations of the non-player characters
Last edited by Sith on Sun May 15, 2022 3:56 am, edited 5 times in total.